Home | About | Donate

Trump Is the Grotesque Id of the Ruling Elites. His Disease Is Theirs – and Ours

I got that article from Thomas Homer-Dixon’s 2020 book “Commanding Hope”. It is a foundation for his entire manuscript - Thomas called it a one in a thousand article !

I was 22 in 1972 - the year “Limits to Growth” came out. I had just dropped out of McGill University in my third year in 1970, geology - and when I read that article I was either pumping gas in Regina Saskatchewan or bartending, maybe both. I read it and said - Not Good - not good at all.

But life goes on, and like the Serenity Prayer - you accept what you can’t change and change what you can.

That’s why I climbed full time in the late nineties. Perhaps you and I are guided more by instinct than most. I am reminded of Einstein’s thought:

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”

@Adam recently called me a Philosopher - which intrigued me - so I looked into it - and yes - might be closest to a Stoic.

But ultimately labels don’t matter that much, as one’s path thru life.

Emerson said:

“To be a man is to be a non-conformist’”

That would fit you and I to a tee I imagine.

I have noted repeatedly on the many mountain adventures of my life - step off the trail, the beaten track - and you are alone.

None of this discussion seems to answer “What to do - what now ?”

But maybe that is an artifact of timing.

Perhaps soon, others will follow - one can be optimistic I think - that as things turn from bad to worse - by natural instinct people will look for answers in strange places, and may remember some of the stories we tell here on CD ~

Yea - how do “people not see it?”

Human nature would be the simplest answer - which is why leaders are avis raris - hence Emerson’s quote above.

I suppose a lot of words are one mark of the philosopher, but I prefer the man of action above all others.

A favorite book of mine is Tenzing Norgay’s autobiography, which was co-written with James Ramsay Ullman, as Tenzing was functionally illiterate. Yet there is more true Philosophy, and Stoicism in practice, in his book “Tenzing Tiger of the Snows”, than in a shelf of academic books of philosophy. I have found this true of all explorers.

So let me close with a description from an astute observer of human nature, on Everest, James Morris, below:

"As I watched the approaching figure I realized that this was no ordinary Sherpa - moving so swiftly and gracefully down the valley, swinging and buoyant like some unspoilt mountain creature, A wide-brimmed hat ! High reindeer boots ! A smile that illuminated the glacier ! An outstretched hand of greeting ! Tenzing ! "

Tenzing’s life did not go well after he attained ‘fame and glory’ - same as Meriwether Lewis’ life did not go well after he left the openness of the natural world.

There is a lesson there, methinks.

Right now this seems like idle talk - Not - I think,

Rather it is the SIGNAL - overwhelmed by the noise of the moment.

1 Like

Perhaps we don’t think as differently as it appears. When I wrote about people encouraging powerless people to think differently, I meant in the specific context of my first post and this article - the “disease of toxic individualism,” that special “concept” we all need to fix.

Clearly, what I wrote about how different cultures virtually see different realities - concepts and perceptions that we associate with experience are invariably culturally laden, relates to your view that you learned new concepts from Buddhism - a philosophy from a profoundly different culture.

1 Like

I think you are right about this. Very good thinking on your part and examination of powerlessness, as a cultural narrative. When concepts become toxic can happen on more than one level. There are different words for toxic. One thing that I learned (still learning) is that you don’t have to look at each and every one of them, you can just let them go. There is a walking mediation that is interesting. I didn’t learn as much as I could have because I was in a hurry. I chuckle about that now.

Excellent comment. Thank you

1 Like

Thank you. I appreciate the convo.

1 Like

Me too!