Home | About | Donate

Trump May Pardon Joe Arpaio, But History Will Not

Trump May Pardon Joe Arpaio, But History Will Not

Charles P. Pierce

You can respect the rule of law or you can pardon former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio. You cannot do both.

Thank you, Mr.Pierce. I have enjoyed your columns for years, and I consider you one of our best and most truthful journalists! Speaking truth to power is the ultimate task for a journalist, and you have proved yourself to be consistently up to the task. We need more like you!

And according to the DOJ Web site,

A pardon is an expression of the President’s forgiveness … It does not signify innocence

I wonder if anybody told djt this?

Do note, however, that a pardon

ordinarily is granted in recognition of the applicant’s acceptance of responsibility for the crime and established good conduct for a significant period of time after conviction or completion of sentence

You can’t even apply for a pardon until you’ve been clean for 5 years.

Nice words but the winners always write the books.

Excellent article by Mr. Pierce!

" The White House reportedly is preparing papers that will justify Arpaio’s pardon on grounds that he faithfully devoted himself to public service for 50 years."

No matter what papers Trump’s crooked, attorney’s prepare to justify Joe’s pardon, it will not change the 50 year history of Joe Arpaio’s, racism, bigotry and cruelty.

Heard some interesting comments by the guy who beat Arpaio (soundly) in the last election. He gave an accounting of how much, unreimbursed by the fed, Arpaio’s policies cost the county.

Pardons aren’t supposed to be about what you did in your career, especially when the conviction (unchanged by the pardon) is for what you did in your career.