Home | About | Donate

Trump Moves to Finalize 'Catastrophic' Stripping of Key Protections for Largest National Forest in US

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/25/trump-moves-finalize-catastrophic-stripping-key-protections-largest-national-forest

2 Likes

This too is linked to the wanton destruction:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/25/film-lays-bare-stakes-of-privatizing-us-public-lands

3 Likes

Yet another reason to purge Trump from government.
He hates Nature and rapes it, just like he does with women.
You can bet that the chainsaw massacre boys and the logging moguls are drooling with lust about the chance to destroy yet another beautiful intact ecosystem and the biodiversity within.
If you’ve ever been around loggers, miners, fishermen, oilfield workers and other earth-destroyers, you know what I mean.
They look at Nature and all they see are dollar signs, and a playground in which to dominate, terrify and kill innocent animals.

9 Likes

Many who provide cover for trump & co usually never comment or respond to fears of wholesale environmental destruction like this atrocity and trumps “roll-backs” of protections for the health and safety of all residents.

The focus of the closet trumpers is most always on some political fantasy of the “left” gaining ground in upcoming elections, under the R & D political charade - that focus and the fantasy narrative they employ seems transparent, ie they really don’t dive a damn about the Natural World, The Wild, wildlife or much else outside their narrow focus.
To me this election is about FAR more than narrow “city” politics, and the real and immediate - the NOW - destruction almost every hour by the odious orange chancre are a/the major reason to defeat them - smash them where they stand!
That reasoning goes beyond all the betrayals by the DP/DNC mob and Biden’s hideous record, his inability to inspire, Dem 'strategist" stupidity and sold-out service to big-money interests, always ignoring the “little people” the 99% in their long pattern of screwing most else except their campaign bribers! Fuck them too, but the trump regime is all that and much more destroying the Natural World, increasing ignoring Global Heating, supporting killing wild animals and abusing domestic, and everything!

6 Likes

What needs to be purged is everything that put trump in office; he’s a symptom, the tip of a much bigger iceberg.

6 Likes

The Lorax… By Dr. Seuss.
Once the trees are dead so are the humans… Once the insects, and birds, and amphibians perish, so do the humans… We are talking about the collapse of the planet’s Life Support System. Trump and others are most blind and deaf to the sound of humanity’s end…This can happen and is happening… teenagers are like that, they feel immortal… Trump is the tip of the spear in this…he is going for the last of the resources…but he does not deserve all of the credit/blame,…for this is a problem of how humanity has used the Earth,and now we must change the way we live here, or else we will no longer live here… dinosaurs. Humana.dinosaurus…is where we are headed.

9 Likes

Well said. I’ve tried to point this out here to no avail.

We must call out (authoritarian) anthropocentrism which if ignored and allowed to fully take hold will kill everything. It may have already killed everything and we are now at stage 4.

This mindset is tragically thriving in the u.s. duopoly and the enablers of the duopoly including the neoliberal dems in their comfy massive CO2 emitting lifestyles.

The dems have done their fair share of destruction. Obama green lighted clear cutting in the Tongass. I could go on but we’ve covered this on CD’s enough.

We know the predicament and that most dems must go too.

But right now---- at this moment ----amidst catastrophic ecosystem breakdowns of the anthropocene we are faced with 100% science denial republicans who are waging a war against nature with trump, a sociopath at the helm.

RE the “& co” you speak of: I live with the “& co” all around me. They have trump flags, signs that say “Trump that Bitch” (I guess they are still talking about HRC???), bumper stickers that say: “the only good wolf is a dead wolf” etc. etc.

In Alaska, republican/trump supporters (and Murkowski supporters) who push for the raping and pillaging of the land that sustains all life have bumper stickers that say:
“Cut Kill Dig Drill”, a “mantra that many in the 49th state appreciate repeating.” (h-ttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/22/alaska-tongass-forest-at-risk-logging-trump)

The people in all states in the u.s. that use/abuse nature, people of color, women-----they want to completely dominate all of the aforementioned and beat them (or kill them) into compliance so they can feel powerful. Their hate will be rewarded and further empowered if trump is not voted out.

I am not only voting against trump but voting against those that are embracing and literally cheering on the destruction of nature and cheering on racism/sexism.

I’m voting against those that want to go in bear and wolf dens to shoot the cubs and pups.

And I’m voting against those that are promoting the denial of science.

h-ttps://www.ecowatch.com/trump-rollback-allows-hunters-to-kill-bears-and-wolves-in-their-dens-2646114404.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

6 Likes

Trump is playing to his base - that strange cohort of people who have only anger and resentment and racial hatred to keep them afloat emotionally.

I was just reading The Globe and Mail here in Calgary - a report on the Rhine and Danube Rivers in Europe, both of which are major transport arteries for the continent, even including China’s Belt initiative. They have both been experiencing periodic low water levels, necessitating the reduction of barge loads, thus increasing costs, and destabilizing even the meagre efforts and initiatives of the European Union to hold to the Paris Accord.

The sources for both Rivers are the Alps’ glaciers, ultimately, and even if rainfall increases these rivers, like those fed by the Rockies here in western Canada will ultimately suffer. At first the increasing melt because of global warming will mask this, as runoff increases at certain seasons of the year, but this will eventually give way to lower river levels altogether.

It is another example of one of Ronald Wright’s “progress traps”. We will spend more and more to get less and less until finally we are bankrupt.

As Hemingway put it so powerfully when asked about bankruptcy and how it happens:

‘First gradually - then all of a sudden.’

As for the Democratic Party - Lyndon Johnson took over after JFK - and into Vietnam.

There hasn’t been a democratic party since.

I would second Chomsky et al - overwhelmingly vote out Trump - then take on the very undemocratic Democrats - as best you can.

Here in Canada - similar - there is no liberal party - which is why I voted NDP - hence a minority government now in power.

You don’t seem to have that option.

I think all of us had better start thinking seriously about looking elsewhere for world leadership - for me that’s the United Nations, which to my mind has remained and does so today, the most scientifically literate world institution.
@Caroline @RazedAwareness @wingsofadove

6 Likes

Excellent post many summits, thank you.

Far from superficial----- you went down to the roots of the problems we, as a global community, face and then offered a very valid suggestion of looking elsewhere for leadership. We do need leadership. The massive problems we face cannot be dealt with in isolation (and that goes for most, if not all problems).

And this is a global problem. What happens here in the u.s. will have huge implications for the rest of the world as we have seen (tragically)to date.

As always thanks for your perspectives from Canada.

Do you watch fellow Canadian, historian Christo Aivalis? I find his commentaries/analyses on youtube helpful and energizing.

Hemingway quote is fitting for collapse ( imo) as well. There are many who feel environmental collapse will be death by a thousand cuts and gradual.

I disagree. I believe it will be ‘first gradually—then all of a sudden’.

Though I think we have entered the “all of a sudden” part.

2 Likes

I am not familiar with Christo Aivalis ~
~https://www.christoaivalis.com/about

I am reading another Canadian though, a man I greatly respect from past experience - Thomas Homer-Dixon.

His just out book “Commanding Hope” is almost up to the minute, Covid 19 and Trump etc…

He is a complexity social-scientist, with a huge understanding of the physical world. I am half way through -

Yes - I think the ‘all of a sudden’ moment is very close, or at least it may be. I don’t expect the physical system to collapse soon, but I refer to our shared social systems, in particular the most highly developed and complex systems, the big modern countries of the world.

I’ve never bought in to the meme that the poor of the world will suffer most, not because I lack empathy or understanding - just the opposite.

In many ways we may all envy the Chinese or South Asian or Africal pastoralist or small time farmer their proximity to food and a way of life they are intimately familiar with.

We, on the other hand, are leveraged to the hilt to our just on time supply lines and massive inter-linked and highly vulnerable computer systems and energy structures - and a lot of us live where life as we know it would end rather suddenly if we lost heat and power.

More to the point - these complex systems are where we can expect Talib’s “Black Swans”.

This may sound crazy, but from my perspective, the single most important thing that could happen in the US would be a complete expose of what happened in the sixties - who - what - when - where- and especially why.

Then truth & reconciliation a la Mandela and Tutu.

“for this is a problem of how humanity has used the Earth,and now we must change the way we live here”

This is the theme for Sir David Attenborough’s latest documentary out on 28th September:

~https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/25/david-attenborough-a-life-on-our-planet-review-climate-emergency-documentary

Stand with Mother Earth and the true caretakers of her–the First Nations–and vote out this homicidal, ecocidal maniac Trump, Inc.–vote in person and early if you can.

1 Like

Success means to get things in right succession: First Trump, Inc. needs to go then all the rest. A Peoples’ National Convention needs to occur to eliminate all that is wrong with how we are governed.

2 Likes

I have a small breakthrough to report Caroline, and I thought you might be interested?

I was alerted to an interesting article from the October 2020 The Atlantic magazine, about the Western Way, and why we are so dominant and powerful (and yet headed for the cliff at higher and higher speed).

In Thomas Homer-Dixon’s book “Commanding Hope”, which I mentioned in my previous reply, I have just found what may be the seed or root for this The Atlantic article, and regardless, both the PNAS 2009 article and this new book about WEIRD in the Atlantic speak the same language, and add to our understanding of what is at the heart of our failure to come to grips with what is an existential problem for all of humanity - no country excepted.

WEIRD = Western - Educated - Industrialized - Rich - Democratic ~

The PNAS 2009 article is a new insight - at least to Homer-Dixon, and to me:

WIT = Worldview - Institutions - Technology;

• a triangle which is in essence what the WEIRD article goes into a little in The Atlantic article, which is a book review of

“The WEIRDest People in the World: How the West Became Psychologically Peculiar and Particularly Prosperous” (2020)

by Joseph Henrich

================

1. Ike’s 1961 Military Industrial Complex speech
  2. JFK’s American University ‘Peace’ speech
  3. These two insights (WEIRD & PNAS article)

Bingo !

References:

~https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/10/joseph-henrich-weird-people/615496/
~https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/106/8/2483.full.pdf
~https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51710349-the-weirdest-people-in-the-world#:~:text=Provocative%20and%20engaging%20in%20both,%2Dscale%20social%2C%20political%2C%20and

=================

I hope this is not overdoing it - there is a lot here to think about ?

Caroline - we need more people like you who care. So many people just don’t care. It breaks to see the destruction that Trump and Republicans turds are inflicting on the environment and wildlife and humans. It just proves how mentally sick they really are. Can’t they see cause and effect? It’s mind-blowing.

1 Like

NATIONAL PARKS, MONUMENTS, LAKES, STREAMS, OCEANS, OTHER PICTURESQUE AREAS & ANIMALS BELONG TO THE PUBLIC WITH CLEAN AIR & WATER ~ NOT GREEDY-POLLUTING CORP’S ~ SAVE THEM NOW ~ DO IT NOW!!!

MANKIND IS KING OF BEASTS, HIS BRUTALITY EXCEEDS THEIRS
IF YOU HURT OR KILL ANIMALS IN ANY WAY, YOU & YOUR FAMILY SHOULD BE TREATED THE SAME WAY.

IF YOU REGARD ANIMALS AS MEANINGLESS, YOU’RE A AMORAL STONE AGE BARBARIAN, NOT FIT FOR anything.

DO NOT HURT ANIMALS, WE’VE HURT THEM ENOUGH; SAVE THEIR LIVES AND PRESERVE THEIR NATURAL HABITATS. DO IT NOW!!!

2 Likes

Thanks, had thought that clear cutting was already happening in the Tongass forest. They are just destroying the trees where the tourists on the cruise ships can’t see the destruction. The logs are then shipped to Japan. Forests are one of the things that can combat the rise of carbon dioxide and hopefully curb global warming, but no the GOP and corporations wants to destroy them.

1 Like

Good news:

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/26/trump-public-lands-chief-removed-william-perry-pendley