Home | About | Donate

Trump Murdered the Iran Deal—And Europe Isn’t Too Happy About It

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/16/trump-murdered-iran-deal-and-europe-isnt-too-happy-about-it

2 Likes

Trump “thinks”, speaks and acts only for Trump. His obsession with 44 is quite obvious. There simply is no there there with 45. 45 = 0. Or rather, 45 < 0. New Math. (Or maybe “Fake Math”.)

3 Likes

Then Europe should stand as a bloc against the orange grifter and deny him every single thing he wants… they should trade with Iran openly and start to sign up with China on their initiatives like one belt one road, new reserve currency et al. completely isolating the US in very possible way… of course they would suffer in the process which no society will tolerate these days except maybe China… so… what are the chances this ‘unhappiness’ will lead to any positive action on the part of the EU or individual European countries…? Squat imho.

4 Likes

Please. “Grave concern.” The Europeans haven’t done shit about the JCPOA and have capitulated to Trump at every turn. Rather odd from Vijay Prasad who is usually very good.

2 Likes

"Right On, Zarif!"

2 Likes

Your prescription is right on—the only way to deal with a bully is to bloody his nose—but I don’t share your pessimism. I think that Pwesident Twump has stripped away any last vestiges of good will the US may have built up with its role in WW2, and the world is developing a most jaundiced view of the US in general. There’s a comeuppance coming soon; my only regret is that it will affect not only the guilty, but the innocent as well.

10 Likes

It is time for Europe to stop surrendering to Trump. It really is. This article is disappointing in that it doesn’t offer an informed analysis of just why this can’t occur. It’s a risk, but it would be dramatic.

3 Likes

I hope you are right about Europeans being fed up… I’m just too jaded to hope anymore… and you are right also …always the innocents get hurt…

4 Likes

Europe may indeed be unhappy with the US unraveling the nuclear agreement, but I agree with others commenting that they have caved to Trump’s bullying. And I see no sign of a European peace movement campaigning for standing up to Trump and trading with Iran. I don’t know if Iran actually had a nuclear weapons program before or not, and doubt that Mr Prashard knows either, but it doesn’t matter to me now. Iran lived up to the agreement, the US did not.

6 Likes

Merf’s right to say you’re right once, and where he hopes you’re right I can’t help but believe. As far as what U said, why is it odd? It’s not in the same dept as child detaining, but this position on JCPOA (as Vijay has explained) is about the dumbest thing a president has ever done. Talk about folleeeeeeeeeee… Any alternative, no matter how unlikely to be acted upon, is worth a mention. Even Zarif’s.

Trump appears to be a complete faker when it comes to geopolitical savy, but, as fake as he appears, I can honestly say even Trump doesn’t appear so stupid as to keep backing JCPOA withdrawal. It seems more like something some insecure jokester on too many steroids would dream up rack’n his brain for macho things to do. And then relate to Trump.

Speaking of innocents suffering, MANY will suffer when 1,600 gigatonnes of methane and CO2 are freed up. The suffering is gonna come from two directions, which is why we need to convert Twumpsters ASAP. Which is why I’m gonna “share” your comment.

Macron says that U.S. shows a lack of sanity towards diplomatic negotiating, and dumping the I ran agreement is what he meant. We know where the insanity lays, we just can’t get it to move away from us.

2 Likes

The remainder of the signatories MUST unite with Iran and call the idiot’s bluff.
It will hurt! The US Empire is the worst this suffering planet has ever seen and now is the time. If they fail to act the rest of us may as well kiss our asse’s good bye. If there are no adults in power to face the imminent climate debacle there is no hope.

4 Likes

Perhaps Trump’s election will be seen in the future as a great turning point when the countries of the world stand up to the bully and put us in the corner instead of vice versa. I have been saying this for years that it will be our allies in Europe who have finally had enough of our arrogance and self-serving policies and will lessen our outsized and destructive power.

4 Likes

I hope you’re right!
;-})

1 Like

Me, too! But mostly I am not optimistic. The power of the corporations and the political friends of corporations is very sophisticated and we, the people are very naive.

Netanyahu pushed Trump to leave the nuclear deal, helped by his enthralled evangelical base. Trump, Netanyahu’s stooge, is not serving America