Home | About | Donate

Trump Panned for 'Campaign of Hate,' Saying He Called for Less Covid-19 Testing

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/21/trump-panned-campaign-hate-saying-he-called-less-covid-19-testing

3 Likes

“the local fire marshal said the number was just under 6,200. Young TikTok users and fans of Korean pop music (so-called “K-Pop stans”), along with Instagram and Snapchat users, had quietly ordered tickets to prank the campaign.”

Terrific ! Youse’all fight all and any way that you can !

10 Likes

Exactly. Fight fire with fire.

2 Likes

This K-Pop thing, incidentally, is waaay huger than Korea & Koreans. K-Pop belongs to the whole world now, like Hip-Hop. (This according to my pedagogically-engaged lockdown partner.)

I’m going to have to look up their musical product, to see if I can stand it. I am so proud of the kids for reinventing political pranks in 2020 this way. The kids are definitely alright, imho.

6 Likes

What if they gave a hate rally,
and nobody came?

7 Likes

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro claimed to Tapper on CNN that the comments about testing were “tongue and cheek.”
There is not a funny bone in Trump’s body so that is a flat out lie. This also proves Navarro is lying about denying Trump talked to China’s President Xi to help with his re-election. As much as I hate Bolton the guy has some sense of integrity apart from his insane war-mongering. I believe Bolton is telling the truth in this matter.

1 Like

Cheers for the young folks!

This probably also saved some lives as there were some spaces between people at the rally then. Hmm… won’t take my smiling face after the last comment.

3 Likes

Trump implosion proceeds apace. Somewhat shocking.

OTOH, no president can be, nor was any president worse prepared for the unforeseen.
Trump is simply not capable of putting together a team.
Yet this country elected him.
Thanks, d-party, for Hillary.

7 Likes

Oh dear. There will be hell to pay for this little crap show.

4 Likes

Trimp declares War on K-Pop!
Threatens use of “horrible weapons” on Tik Tok terrorists!

4 Likes

New job openings on Team Trump: fast paced, must sign death waiver.

2 Likes

The movement appears to have been launched by Mary Jo Laupp, a 51-year-old teacher from Iowa, who had worked on Pete Buttigieg’s campaign, [CNN reported]
~https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics/tiktok-trump-tulsa-rally-trnd/index.html
She explained her idea in a TikTok video that had 700,000 likes by late Saturday.

1 Like

They probably had to hit His Pestilency with a tranquilizer dart or something when the magnificent scale of his latest humiliation dawned on him – out there with the whole world watching, punked by a spunky bunch of little girls bopping around in bright colors. Ohmygawd: has there ever been such a breathtakingly awesome prank in political history?

Pestilency openly admits to the genocidal war-crime of public-health sabotage. Long ago, I foresaw a death-toll of millions in USA from this, back when testing was sabotaged for months, right at the start of our outbreak, the only time we could have a chance of containing it. The hotter weather of Summer is obviously not slowing this microbe down, not at all. To people who look at virological history, there’s little reason to expect the prompt vaccine everyone’s counting on.

A brief history of USA COVID-19 cases (latest CDC numbers):

> WEEK    28 DAYS             CASES
>         ENDING          NEW       TOTAL
> 
>   4.  02/01/2020           8           8
>   8.  02/29/2020          16          24
>  12.  03/28/2020     122,629     122,653
>  16.  04/25/2020     805,966     928,619
>  20.  05/23/2020     693,495   1,622,114
>  24.  06/20/2020     625,915   2,248,029

Looking at individual state trajectories this weekend is shocking-as-usual. Eight states set a daily record for new-cases on 6/19: California, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah. Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oregon just set weekly records.

3 Likes

Mary Jo Laupp for Vice President!

The war on the invisible enemy, Covid-19, another war in a long line of wars that the USA has lost.

2 Likes

@Mary_Grayeske
Hi again Aleph and everyone else talking about K-Pop—

My daughter has chimed in this afternoon----she studied in S. Korea last year and was supposed to go there on a Fulbright in July but covid nixed that. We’ve been following this cyber/Tik -Tok/Kpop protest for weeks prior to the rally.

These are my daughter’s words below (song recommendation for you–Aleph— that I put in bold):

Kpop, while often thought of as highly-scripted and manufactured by greedy companies, has indeed become a highly motivating force for young activists across the world. It is an interesting phenomenon, as many of the things that people criticize about Kpop (beauty standards, overwork, ect.) are real problems, however, that does not change the fact that it can also be highly subversive.

Seo Taiji and Boys was a 1990s Korean hip hop group, and is known as the founder of Kpop and the beginning of the “Korean Wave” that saw Kpop achieve global popularity. At the time, this group was extremely controversial, the very style of music they were creating went against censorship laws in South Korea.

BTS, the biggest group in the world as of late, performed covers alongside Seo Taiji himself, a nod to both groups social influence.

BTS has taken the world by storm not only because of their charming looks and performances, but mainly because from their debut they have tackled societal issues.

The owner of their company, Bang Si-Hyuk purposefully set out to create a group of “modern superheroes.” As they call out at the beginning of their song Not Today, “To all the underdogs of the world/a day may come when we lose/but it is not today.”

The company was so broke they recorded their first full length album in Korean in a garage. Their first concert was in a park with around 50 fans. Despite this, their genuine passion and critical lyrics propelled their gradual rise to super stardom.

Before twitter protestors took on Trump, BTS fans were arrested protesting in Hong Kong: (h)ttps://www.reddit.com/r/heungtan/comments/cw8vlj/cooky_at_the_hong_kong_protests/ *

• If you want to read more about BTS and social commentary:(h)ttps://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/8098832/bts-lyrics-social-commentary-political*

If you’re interested in enjoyable K-pop songs related to activism. I highly you watch the music video for Red Velvet’s “One of these nights” and read about the lyrics online. It is a beautiful song that was a tribute to Sewol Ferry disaster. I also recommend the music video “Spring Day” by BTS, another song about the Sewol Ferry disaster, also taking inspiration from the dystopian movie Snowpiercer. I also recommend Kpop vocalist IU’s Palette and BTS “Run” and “4 o’clock.”

On of these nights: h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xWiro_tS1k

Spring Day(turn on English subtitles): h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEeFrLSkMm8

Run (turn on English subtitles): h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wn85Ge22FQ

4 o’clock: h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjm_lwn0AEc

Palette (turn on English subtitles): h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9IxdwEFk1c

3 Likes

Its actually more damning as a ‘joke’ than as a ‘lie’. Who other than a sociopath makes jokes about an issue that has seen 122,000 deaths?

2 Likes

I love quoting, unapologetically. I revere quotes’ gift of meaning. Lyrics carry the extra gravitas of it’s music’s tone, profusions of emotional information.

“Have ears but don’t listen, have eyes but don’t see…
My name is selfish, selfish.
If you don’t feel anything when you watch the news,
If that comment is nothing to you
If that hatred is nothing to you
You’re not normal, you’re abnormal.”

• BTS

Two of my favorite musician quotes paired:

“This Machine Kills Fascists”

• inscription on Woody Guthrie’s guitar

“This Machine Surrounds Hate And forces It To Surrender”

• inscription on Pete Seeger’s guitar
4 Likes

What if they gave a hate rally, and everybody came?

From the article:

“[Trump’s] campaign manager, Brad Parscale, along with the president himself, has spent days crowing that almost a million tickets had been reserved…”

From Wikipedia:

Tulsa “is the principal municipality of the Tulsa Metropolitan Area, a region with 991,005 residents in the MSA…”

I’m just overwhelmed. Wow. What a joyous discovery to celebrate the solstice!

Thanks so much for all the Kpop reflections.

2 Likes