Home | About | Donate

Trump Rumored to Appoint CFPB Critic to Lead Watchdog Agency

Trump Rumored to Appoint CFPB Critic to Lead Watchdog Agency

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

President-elect Donald Trump is getting closer to debilitating the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the watchdog agency founded by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) that many warned could be an early target for the incoming administration.

I am unclear as to whether or not Trumps nominees for cabinet appointments needs some Democrats to join the Republicans in the Senate for final confirmation, but if any Democratic Senators do join the Republicans and approve any of the really egregious choices, this will be another nail in the coffin of the Democratic Party.

No filibuster on nominees and Republicans control the committee schedules. Democrats can try and slow things down, but Trump will get his appointments. It really makes no difference, Democrats are powerless except to make statements.

Thanks KC2669, Everytime I hear something like this now, my blood begins to boil when I think how the Democratic Party Establishment chose the weaker candidate to support and left us with this. And all they can do now is talk about the Russians. And the mindless millions that voted for the Duopoly s candidates will do the same thing four years from now.

My blood boils when I see progressives who wouldn't vote strategically in swing states because they believed their own puritanical drivel. Now it'll be all for naught, right? Plus, Bernie made no mistakes in his campaign and appealed to all Democratic constituencies. Couldn't have lost in California because of that, right? Had to be that dastardly DNC!

Does anyone remember the last time a Fed Watchdog Agency was actually run by a Watchdog?

Just a continuation of an already established pattern of putting people in charge of departments and agencies that they oppose. I mean, he's putting RFK Jr. in charge of a vaccination commission! These aren't isolated incidents. This is strategy.

The current head of the CFPB isn't exactly liked but the financial industry. Time Warner doesn't appreciate the net neutrality rules issued by the FCC. Under Trump, we won't have to worry about that anymore though.

Please...

Net neutrality is gone. It was one of the first things on Trump's hit list, and his transition team, as well as the two Republicans already in place, made it clear that it was going to be done away with as soon as possible.

This is why we need a law about it, but there's absolutely zero chance of that happening now. Kiss the Internet as you know it goodbye.

Yep. But I'm told by progressives we live in an absolute hellscape now and Trump won't mean anything different. See the insightful comment above. Richard Cordray was totally loved by the finance industry and the ISPs--Trump just met with some of their CEOs yesterday--absolutely love the FCC regulating them like a public utility, protecting net neutrality.

Killing Dodd-Frank and the Consumer Protection Agency are two steps closer to Wall Street crashing the economy. AND putting a nail in the Republican party.

I can't imagine the next crash will let white collar criminals off the hook.

The problem is that when you deregulate things, by definition, you are making once-regulated things unregulated--legal. You can't punish people for legal things, unless you live in a Russian style autocracy (ironic, right?). I don't know if you are up to date on things, but House Republicans just amended the administrative procedures act in a big way, one that will help negate existing regulatory rules with lower court rulings. If it becomes law, its game over for a lot of things progressives take for granted, rules the vile Obama administration defended in court. Oh well, to read things here, Obama was terrible and we are already living in a Charles Dickens novel.

I can't remember who said it, but a long time ago Iheard a guy being interviewed on PBS saying that there is no such thing as deregulation, only re-regulation, and the question should always be who the rules are being re-regulated in favore of, which I think is a pretty good way of looking at it.

I sometimes think that when someone in the USA says that it's a police state, or there's no democracy here, a North Korean should kick them in the crotch. It's possible to criticize the US without claiming the kind of victimhood that other people in the world suffer with daily. The song "Holiday in Cambodia" keeps popping into my head.

So true. And classic Kennedys there.

What better way to ruin government then to appoint people that will deliberately run it into the ground.