Home | About | Donate

Trump’s Barrett Nomination Another Step Toward Christian Fascism

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/05/trumps-barrett-nomination-another-step-toward-christian-fascism

3 Likes

As Hedges says - The Christian fascists, like all fascist movements, creates its own truth. It discredits verifiable fact, science, law and rationality.
From Bruce Springsteen’s Magic

Trust none of what you hear
And less of what you see
This is what will be (This is what will be)
This is what will be

I got a shiny saw blade (a shiny saw blade)
All I need’s a volunteer
I’ll cut you in half
While you’re smilin’ ear to ear

And the freedom that you sought
Driftin’ like a ghost amongst the trees
This is what will be

Now there’s a fire down below
But it’s coming up here
So leave everything you know
Carry only what you fear

On the road the sun is sinkin’ low
Bodies hanging in the trees
This is what will be

3 Likes

Take note that Trump didn’t ask Paula White to cure him of the “Kung Flu”.

5 Likes

No offense meant… but all indoctrinated religious folks, no matter the flavor, are mentally ill.

Just sayin’.

6 Likes

Seeing how most organized religions are cults, the same mental illness that leads people to cults keeps them in most organized religions.

4 Likes

"…the mentality of profit at any price, with no concern for social exclusion or the destruction of nature.”

• Chris Hedges

I’ve never heard it put so well - short yet inclusive. A perverted Social Darwinism, Ayn Rand variety with a fundamentalist religious twist - and without any pretense of understanding Freeman Dyson:

“Sanity is, in essence, nothing more than the ability to live in harmony with nature’s laws.”

― Freeman Dyson, Disturbing the Universe

Yes - divorced from the natural world - divorced from the people on the ground.

Yet people, even the ones on the ground, appear to crave religion.

Pope Francis the First, may be the last, as this craving only grows as things come apart, which there is no doubt now they will.

Epic confrontation looming ahead ?

“Don’t be afraid of Covid” - Trump says.

Yea - mad as a hatter.

There’s your answer Giovanna @Giovanna-Lepore

5 Likes

For those interested in the roots of ‘Christian Fascism’
‘Corporatism and the Ghost of the Third Way’
+ttp://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.693.939&rep=rep1&type=pdf

(Hedges could do with a read of it.)

1 Like

Note: A religion is an old cult . A cult is a new religious movement.

3 Likes

Pope Francis and Catholic Church dogma/doctrines are part of the problem. This Pope like every other before him will NEVER overturn anthropocentric Catholic Church teachings that devalue animals, women, other-than-heterosexuals, etc.

2 Likes

FROM “Beyond Words - What Animals Think and Feel” by Carl Safina:

On the summit of Mount Kilauea, in Hawaii, I’ve seen offerings of money and liquor, put there by people who think that volcanoes have a god within who watches, tallies favors, and sometimes acts vindictively. Don’t get the volcano mad by ignoring it…

Other animals are exceptionally good at identifying and reacting to predators, rivals, and friends. They never act as it they believe that rivers or trees are inhabited by spirits who are watching. In all these ways other animals continually demonstrate their working knowledge that they live n a world brimming with other minds, as well as their knowledge of those minds’ boundaries. Their understanding seems more acute, pragmatic, and frankly, better than ours at distinguishing real from fake.

So I wonder: Do humans really have a better-developed theory of mind than other animals?.. Children talk to dolls for years, half-believing–or firmly believing–that the doll hears and feels and is a worthwhile confidant. Many adults pray to statues, fervently believing that they’re listening… All of this indicates a common human inability to distinguish conscious minds from inanimate objects, and evidence from nonsense.

Children often talk to a fully IMAGINARY friend who they believe listens and has thoughts. Monotheism might be the adult version… Most leaders of modern nations trust that a sky god can be asked to protect their nation during disasters and conflicts with other nations.

…Humans’ “superior” theory of mind is in part pathology. The oft-repeated line “Humans are rational beings” is probably our most half-true assertion about ourselves. There is in nature an overriding sanity and often, in humankind, an undermining insanity. We, among all animals, are most frequently irrational, distortional, delusional, worried.

…[O]ther animals don’t need to manipulate logic because their actions are logical…

“You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. . . . Dogs do not ritually urinate in the hope of persuading heaven to do the same and send down rain. Asses do not bray a liturgy to cloudless skies. Nor do cats attempt, by abstinence from cat’s meat, to wheedle the feline spirits into benevolence. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, quite intelligent enough.” ~ Aldous Huxley

3 Likes

You could also add the US military to groups that Christian Dominionist Fundamentalists have taken over…
Just last month. the DOD in the name of “religious freedom” (for the far right wingers) no longer has a wall of separation between State & Church. Now any commanding officer can compel his underlings to listen & act on HIS beliefs in the name of military orders with no recourse… Google the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) .

3 Likes

Fear rules christianity, at least by the empirical observations I’ve made in my 70+ years on Gaia. Fear of Death, Fear of Eternal Hellfire. Fear of everything. I was raised by such a family in such a culture. Took years of therapy and then Indigenous rituals to help heal some of the trauma. I’ve been in what Europeans call sweat lodges and danced circle dances. My adoptive mother held on to her fearful miserable existence for 96 years before she finally died. My adoptive father’s deathwatch was horrific as he struggled to live instead of giving in.
I’d rather live one day without fear and then walk into the Sprit World than live 30 more years in fear.

5 Likes

Chris, small mistake with the German — you mean “Werbemittel” not Werebemittle (for reference, look it up on dict dot cc/?s=werbemittel).

@CommonDreams

Anything to cover up the real cause, GATS and its progeny.

1 Like

and so, where does that leave us? we have very weak institutions on the left. they are spread out all over every issue. there’s never been any real cohesiveness on the left. is there a way to find general goals that wouldn’t put different groups at odds with each other. the left seems to have always been individuals, groups that have to be more pure. that getting in the way of doing anything.

1 Like

You would love the book …Home With God A Life That Never Ends .

It’s a book that ends the fear about Death.

namaste

1 Like

Chris, When does life begin ? at conception, 3 months ,6 months, 9 months ,At birth ? A person’s right to choose when to end this life seems to be inviolate in post Roe v Wade America.Is not this, the ultimate form of fascism ? You quote Pope Francis but not on this issue, probably the ultimate moral issue of our time,The killing of the innocent unborn.

Initial thoughts on this article:

How many times have we read in the comment stream on CD’s and other progressive sights: “When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving a cross,” (but change “waving a cross” to “waving a bible”— as trump did recently after tear gassing peaceful protesters)

This has been stated so many times over the years, it has become close to a cliche—said almost flippantly and now . . . . here we are.

This is a very important piece which tragically (again) leaves us wondering what the hell to do with Hedge’s connection of these pathological dots.

Let us not forget:
Redfield and Birx are both evangelical Christians too.
(h-ttps://truthout.org/articles/its-not-just-pence-christian-right-is-leading-us-response-to-coronavirus/)

Who in the main stream media will point out Christian fascism and give it the attention it deserves?

Right . . . we know the answer. So thank you Chris Hedges. Wish more people read you.

This is yet another example of LOTE imo----the lesser evil being Biden/Harris as I don’t think they are right wing fascist christians.

There could be a feature article on the brief mention of the harmful self help guru’s in Hedge’s piece when he states:

It is the mantra of self-help that made gurus like Oprah and Tony Robbins rich dressed up as the voice of God.

Neoliberals love Oprah----and Tony Robbins!

This is another VERY important point by Hedges that Barbara Ehrenreich took on in her book—
Bright Sided How Positive Thinking Is Undermining America

She wrote that in 2009----wish more people would have noticed.

Lastly I would add that it is more than just trump being “useful idiot” to the christian fascists. He is carrying on a family tradition that started with Fred Trump’s obsession with Norman Vincent Peale.

“Peale’s doctrine proclaimed that you need only self-confidence in order to prosper in the way God wants you to.”

For example, Peale wrote in “The Power of Positive Thinking” that ”Obstacles are simply not permitted to destroy your happiness and well-being. You need be defeated only if you are willing to be.”

How Norman Vincent Peale Taught Donald Trump to Worship Himself

The magnate’s biographer explains the spiritual guide behind his relentless self-confidence.

h-ttps://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/donald-trump-2016-norman-vincent-peale-213220

3 Likes

Thank you for the book recommendation! Will add it to my library of books on death and dying. Of course I have the classics The Tibetan Book of the Dead and On Death and Dying.
No fears, just life day by day.

Love Mr. Hedges! Always cogent and perspicacious articles. When he calls it Christian Fascism, Chris nails it! I know some of those Evangelicals and many are very nice people but soooo closed minded! They refuse to think for themselves. It was probably the same way with the Nazi, Party.

3 Likes