Home | About | Donate

Trump’s Enablers Should Be Shamed Out of Public Life

Trump’s Enablers Should Be Shamed Out of Public Life

John Feffer

The evidence is in: The "adults in the room" at the White House have enabled Trump's worst impulses, not checked them.

Glad to see a high profile journalist addressing the linguistic contortions these clubbie poohs place on the English language. Keeping in mind that there have now been 4-5 generations where the oh-so-distant (NOT!) Federal Reserve has made sure that the US dollar NOT be a “greenback” aand that the NY branch (think obscenity of Puerto Rico Debt and the vulture/ cultural rapist funds!!) wags the dog. Now… hold that thought!

Here any and all illusions about “privilege” need to be dispelled. The etymology of he word means ‘first before the law’. Foisted as a benevolent power that can ‘move to the front of the line’, the actual empirical meaning is that for the privileged, the law does not apply. - think Sheriff Arpaio.

Now coming back to Harvard, with an endowment of double digit Billions, the institution gets massive breaks on land taxes. Follow the money and … sur 'nuf, you witness a nexus between the corporate, the political, the academic, the economic AND THE RHETORICAL.

The author knows more than I, does that mean his vision is any better? I would suggest that the fascist pigs feed in the pit of greed will not have the time or desire to do anything otherwise and as such the “public” drink in the swill dripping from the chins of these very pigs. In other words, It ain’t gonna happen.

"“For the first time, America has a president who does not act like an adult,” Mann continues. “He is emotionally immature: he lies, taunts, insults, bullies, rages, seeks vengeance, exalts violence, boasts, refuses to accept criticism, all in ways that most parents would seek to prevent in their own children.”

Regardless of the obvious syllogism, Trump isn’t trying to be an adult; he’s trying to be a man. I think we’re all aware that “manliness” is almost synonymous with “belligerence” these days.

On the other hand, every president puts on a suit and tie and appears before cameras with a stern expression because war is serious. Tax reform is serious. And somehow, the words “adult” and “serious” also approach a synonymous relationship, and most of us little people whose job is merely to watch the news on TV, instead of make it, are successfully trained to stand in reverence of all these horrors, because they are devised by adults, and hence are serious things and if we want to appear serious, we need to agree with the “adults in the room”.

Remember all those times as a kid, your parents said, “You wouldn’t understand–you’re just a kid”? Maybe it’s time to get ALL the adults and men out of politics and hand it over to the kids and the clowns. After all, it is a circus.

“Shamed”? Gitmo’d or Abu Ghraib’d would be a more just desert for those who destroy so much, so many, and serve greed and profits above all else…regardless the consequences…

There are no “Adults” in the room.

Heartless, soul-less, greedy, flesh-eating ghouls that they are…they feel absolutely no shame. They, like their evil emperor, are only in it for the money/self-aggrandizement…have no morals, no conscience, no integrity, no self-respect…and that is why they are where they are. Even sadder is the fact that when DJT is unceremoniously ousted from office for high crimes/treason and they have to exit, there are enough of their ilk in the private sector to take them in and feed their ongoing avaricious appetites. Except for maybe S. Miller, and SH Sanders whose ugly goes all the way to the bone.

Seatower, your second sentence is the key to everything, absolutely everything. Well done, well said, thank you

Actually they should be jailed out of public life as traitors to the people.

Yes, kakistocracy, if you are familiar with the word - ruled by the absolute worst among us, who are sociopathically drawn to seek these positions of unchecked power…

They certainly “should” be. I have a lengthy list of things that “should” happen but are extremely unlikely to. Thst’d why I think of “should” as “The S-Word.” When I hear or read something or other “should” be done I can’t help but roll my eyes, say to myself “There they go agsin, using the S-Word which means it will never happen.”

What is…IS. Isn’t it odd though that we cannot and will not accept reality. People get drunk, get high on drugs or religion or whatever to escape but really and truly reality is way screwier that any of those altered thingies. Thus and so, what is, is.

And the worst of it all is they know he’s unfit, yes even deranged, they just know, and still they do nothing.

So where did these guys get their accreditation and degrees to teach preschool?

“That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with Artificial Paradises seems very unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, at the best so monotonous, poor and limited that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves if only for a few moments, is and has always been one of the principal appetites of the soul. Art and religion, carnivals and saturnalia, dancing and listening to oratory - all these have served, in H. G. Wells’s phrase, as Doors in the Wall. And for private everyday use there have always been chemical intoxicants . . . For unrestricted us the West has permitted only alcohol and tobacco. All other chemical Doors in the Wall are labeled Dope, and their unauthorized takers are Fiends."

― Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception

…and thus, The Doors were born… very nice quote, thanks…

Thank you. A fabulous word so fitting.

Your comment obviously reminded me of it–the universal condition, if you will. And to his list I would add mindful meditation, yoga, sports . . . or any enjoyable action/activity that allows us to live in the moment, keeps us in the flow, and ignore the greater, overwhelming realities which threaten our very lives.

Therein lies the rub. These people are mostly sociopaths, and sociopaths by any definition, cannot feel empathy. To expect it from them would be to expect a leopard to change its spots, or the sun to rise in the west.
We are all on a survival trip now. The worst of us are in charge. As Hunter Thompson would say, the hog is in the tunnel. The fat is in the fire.
Things are going to get much worse before they get better, if they ever get better again.

I’m not a big fan of WikiLeaks — even before its conduct in the 2016 elections — but I’d still be interested in hearing Chelsea Manning interact with other folks at the Kennedy School on questions of public service and morality. So, I’m upset at Harvard’s retraction of the invitation.

Surprised that CD posted an essay that went here.

“conduct in the 2016 elections”? WTF, also plural?

Also the Feffer HuffPost link (from "even before) is pushing some Iran-North Korea concern trolling.

Tiresome.