Home | About | Donate

Trump’s FCC Wants to Kill a Free and Open Internet

Trump’s FCC Wants to Kill a Free and Open Internet

Bill Moyers, Michael Winship

The commission votes on Thursday whether to end net neutrality and place the internet under the thumb of corporate America.

If we know anything at all, we know that we cannot trust anything that our government tells us!

Trump et al will get their way, I imagine.

And speaking of imagination, I have requested a book for Christmas, on more or less exactly the subject of this article on net neutrality, which is really all about democracy and individual freedom.

"It’s not easy to recall now how lonely a position both men once occupied. By the late 1930’s, democracy was discredited in many circles, and authoritarian rulers were everywhere in the ascent…

Churchill and Orwell, on the other hand, had the foresight to see clearly that the issue was human freedom–that whatever its coloration, a government that denied its people basic freedoms was a totalitarian menace and had to be resisted."

==================

So how to proceed ?

The bad guys are entrenched for the moment.

That’s a mistake on their part, if we take advantage of our mobility and freedom.

Like Temudgin’s Mongol steppe warriors, or, like the Apache, those who value freedom and a hard life over the sedentary and soft will always prevail when push comes to shove, and things fall apart.

Mountaineering is a preparation for this looming confrontation ~

Manysummits, in Calgary

How much money do these corporations ATT,Comcast, Time Warner pour into city councils,state houses and congress? Nothing but bribery so they can control lines of communication. The internet needs to be owned by the public. And people who enter politics and take bribes–campaign donations from large corporate interests—need to go straight to jail.

We are being brainwashed into thinking that this is normal. And this is what is WRONG with this article. It assumes that contacting these three corporate stooges on the FCC there will be a change in the outcome. We need to stop being slaves and be the owners that we are.

The internet should be a public utility run by the public----and just to be clear-I think the internet is only 10% of what it can be, because private interests have no desire for the internet to achieve the integrated communication that can be achieved. SUPPORT THE COMMONS!

"It assumes that contacting these three corporate stooges on the FCC there will be a change in the outcome"
So how do we go about being owners on this subject?

So, if they aren’t going to do any of the things that eliminating net neutrality would allow them to do, why, exactly, do they want to get rid of net neutrality so badly?

Anyone who knows anything about public utilities, and the legal and economic underpinnings of regulating them, knows that these corporations are so vested with the public interest and market power that they are clearly in the realm of public utilities and must be regulated to protect the public interest. This is even more important given the role of the internet in society today – both commercially and politically.

Let’s hope the courts save us.

If we had 100’s of Verizon customers writing to Verizon something like this:

Dear Verizon,

I am really bothered that net neutrality is going to be eliminated. I am so upset about this that if it happens, I am going to stop being a customer of Verizon services even though I have been a loyal Verizon user for many years. Oh and by the way, I have 983 friends on Facebook, and they all agree with me and will also be discontinuing service with Verizon! Not only that, I am also starting a hashtag on Twitter called #boycottVerizonIfWeLooseNetNeutrality.

If enough people wrote something like that to Verizon, I bet that might make Verizon change their mind about wanting Ajit Pai and his republican friends to vote for the doing away with net neutrality rules.

Yahoo is my mainstream source, since google and Facebook and blogs are out, here. Yahoo used to present a variety of centrist stuff, from which I could at least see what the public is being told in the US. This month the news list is sharply reduced, and of the several news items offered, breitbart and fox news are the new top of the page contributors.

Indeed. In the age of Orwell we now live in it is a pretty safe strategy to believe the opposite of anything the government says.

#NotMyGovernment

Why are we so soft as a society, as a species? All of these attacks on our creature comforts and we don’t even fight back. We barely do anything to stand up as our freedom and our futures are being given away to corporate facism. We have to fight back. Let the FCC take away net neutrality. Then let the FCC burn to the ground. Let the government take away some freedoms, then let that government burn to the ground. Smile as it burns.

Yes, and what is really sad, is that our government has lied to us so much, that even if they told the truth…we cannot believe it until it is proven! In my view, the US governments history of mendacious stories and canards are so egregious that they have to be considered guilty of lying until proven innocent.

Agreed though there are a few genuinely good stories in there that should not be ignored. Such as FDR’s New Deal and the fight for Civil Rights. There are multiple sides to a story and only by studying them all can one find the truth.

I am quite limited at the moment in what energy I can personally expend upon this, so I write, hoping others will pick up the ball for me.

FCC, Internet, Telephone, Etc.
If you go to the US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 7, you will see that the Founding Fathers believed free and open communication to be SO VITAL to the country that they wrote into the Bedrock Document of the USA the requirement for not only a Post Office, but also Post Roads for the delivery of communications. The Post Roads eventually became our US Highways, including, I am convinced, The “Information Superhighway”, as the Internet was called in it’s earlier days. Not all that long ago, Americans would go to local libraries just to travel down the Information Superhighway, which was, back then completely free of ANY advertising or commercial activity. Woe to anyone, back then, who would try to trash up OUR Internet with the greed of commercialization!

When the Framers of our Constitution called for a Post Office, they had no idea that those packets of information being sent back and forth on horseback in their time would someday be sent via railroad, because railroads had not yet been invented. Technology did not nullify the Constitutional Responsibility of the Government to deliver our mail. In fact, the new technology known as “railroad” further ENABLED the Government to carry out one of it’s assigned tasks! Later on, technology brought to us the airplane, to help deliver our messages more quickly. The Government’s duty to deliver our communications did not change just because the mail carrier’s bag had become a box and his horse had become and airplane. Nor did that duty evaporate just because the early Post Road became a US Highway, then Interstate 17. “A carpenter remains a carpenter, even if he replaces his hand saw with a power saw.”

Technology’s latest tool for the sending back and forth of our Information Packets is a device we call “The Internet”. Although it may look a little different from the mailbag that Ben Franklin was familiar with, he would quickly understand that the FUNCTION is unchanged from what he and his cohorts called for in Article 1, Section 8.

How is it that this simple matter of the PEOPLES’ Government being the party Constitutionally responsible for delivery of the PEOPLES’ Communications has become so bastardized and complificated to fatten a whole industry of greedy special interests? Who is this Verizon, this ATT, this Comcast, charging us SO MUCH to send and receive communications that, CONSTITUTIONALLY, should be handled by the Post Office? Who are these swindling bloodsuckers, attempting to twist OUR FCC into an agency for the furthering of their own GREED?

Net Neutrality is not really the issue here. The issue is that OUR Constitutionally-guaranteed information delivery system is being openly violated by greedy bloodsucker corporations with the help, in this case, of a corrupt Trump appointee named Chairman Pai.