Home | About | Donate

Trump’s Illegal, Impeachable Act of War

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/06/trumps-illegal-impeachable-act-war

4 Likes

I’m thinking the good Major might actually get through a whole column without saying it, but it’s freaking mandatory, even for progressive poseurs:

Now, I’m no fan of Qassem Soleimani and the Quds he led…

May I ask: What in the hell does this ritual recitation have to do with anything? Effectively, this line always gravely undermines an author’s argument – It’s just an abject apology for not being as rabid a militarist as the next guy. Please stop it. This boilerplate is nothing more than the unbecoming tribute cowardly virtue must pay vice in an inverted totalitarian system. Patriotism is a severe corruption of morals.

7 Likes

Thank you Danny! Many more like truths and analysis of where we stand and the madness of trump as a clear and present danger to the US and wider world - all life on earth even - from military people who, like Prez/General Dwight Eisenhower and Maj General Smedley Butler know the truth and horror of war 'as only a soldier who has lived it can"
“War is a racket”!

"Of all the enemies of true liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manner and of morals, engendered in both. No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

War is in fact the true nurse of executive aggrandizement. In war, a physical force is to be created; and it is the executive will, which is to direct it. In war, the public treasuries are to be unlocked; and it is the executive hand which is to dispense them. In war, the honors and emoluments of office are to be multiplied; and it is the executive patronage under which they are to be enjoyed; and it is the executive brow they are to encircle. The strongest passions and most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venal love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace". - James Madison

6 Likes

Eisenhower’s Chance for Peace speech.

"In this spring of 1953 the free world weighs one question above all others: the chance for a just peace for all peoples.
The way chosen by the United States was plainly marked by a few clear precepts, which govern its conduct in world affairs.

First: No people on earth can be held, as a people, to be enemy, for all humanity shares the common hunger for peace and fellowship and justice.

Second: No nation’s security and well-being can be lastingly achieved in isolation but only in effective cooperation with fellow-nations.

Third: Any nation’s right to form of government and an economic system of its own choosing is inalienable.

Fourth: Any nation’s attempt to dictate to other nations their form of government is indefensible.

And fifth: A nation’s hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations.

In the light of these principles the citizens of the United States defined the way they proposed to follow, through the aftermath of war, toward true peace". - Presiden/Generalt Dwight David Eisenhower

How far we have sunk as a nation since those words, and how ignorant, inexperienced, and morally bankrupt/corrupt our “leaders” have become!

11 Likes

The House of Representatives needs to keep adding charges to the articles of impeachment until October.

As soon as the articles are in Moscow Mitch’s hands the Senate “trial” will be a non-stop circus that portrays Trump and the GOP walking on water and portrays the Democrats as the most evil villians to ever walk the earth, thereby assuring that Trump wins the electoral college AND popular vote on November 3.

5 Likes

You “took it personally,” Major?

Gee, I wonder if the people of the MidEast take it personally when we destroy their countries.

I like your articles here, but you joined the war machine. The one that kills people and suffers losses of its own. You’re no fan of the Quds Force, and the Quds force is no fan of the Navy Seals. See how that works?

5 Likes

Danny does not mention Pompeo has taken executive power of three departments concurrently.
CIA, State and now DOD.
With Bolton beaten a bit, Pompeo probably has his folks in NSC as the real powers that be.

Trump is a puppet.
A reality TV celebrity.
If he makes you cry, he wins.

That is why his terrible tweets the past three days. But, maybe his producer wrote some of those.

3 Likes

Soldiers, sailors, and marines swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, not the Trump clown. Would not blame them if they said ‘hell no’ to going to war for Trump.

If Trump wants to fight, let he and his sons and daughters do the fighting. And take rent-a-soldier Lindsey Graham with you.

5 Likes

my thoughts in recent days,as I read and ponder… thank you for the well explained and researched reasoning of this article

1 Like

And from a Republican, no less.

2 Likes

thank you…this is inspiring…I am so glad I used to toast him with my glass of milk…I;m not being sarcastic…just revealing my age

2 Likes

Many thanks Rachel, we need to hear your voice here more often - I know it will be very welcome…

1 Like

Time for the next round of impeachment hearings?

1. He assassinated an extremely high government official in contravention of Executive Order 11905 signed on February 18, 1976, by President Gerald R. Ford, banning political assassination.

2. He perpetrated an act of war, arrogating to himself the War Powers Clause, Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the United States Constitution vesting the power to declare war in Congress alone.

I don’t suggest we pander to Iran, but it might help if the world sees that the US takes these things seriously enough to hold Trump accountable for breaking existing U.S. laws

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this quote. I intend to call my, and other, members of Congress tomorrow and will use this to express my extreme anger to them at this outright cowardly murder of General Soleimani. Our nation has proven itself to be the world’s bully.

2 Likes

It is true he ‘joined’ the war machine, as a young man with all the naivete of young men. He likely believed he was joining to defend his country, probably not having read Smedley Butler’s writings before he joined, because of his youth.

He compensated for that ordinary human error by speaking truth to power when he reached full manhood. He allowed his conscience to grow and speak loudly, unlike so many others who had no conscience at all. With the credibility acquired from combat, he has frequently spoken truth to power, just as Tulsi Gabbard has.

So give Danny some credit where credit is due.

My only quarrel with his piece here is that Congress is indeed complicit in Trump’s assassination. They may not have been consulted, but they are complicit, they enabled the assassination.

When they abdicated their constitutional duties by passing the POS AUMF, they enabled many of the war crimes of Bush, Obama and Trump.

Congress could restore some of its credibility and dignity by 1) repealing the AUMF tomorrow, and 2) supersede the indictment that is the impeachment papers, and convict the man in the Senate. Alas, Congress is so far gone those are highly unlikely to happen.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen any writer in CD go as far to declare all acts of war in general evil and or illegal. Maybe CD has some kind of policy?

Sometimes I wonder if I give Danny too much credit.

Soleimani was a military man. He was a leading force in a killing machine.
When his killing machine targeted the same enemy we had, we fought side-by-side.
When his killing machine out-maneuvered us in terms of influence in the region, he was killed.

Now the killing machines are poised to ramp up the carnage.
A US president is threatening cultural sites, his SOS is talking about starving our enemies to death.
Another leading force in the killing machine will take Soleimani’s place.
And when he kills a few hundred Americans, Danny will call him a bad guy.

Without ever stopping to consider that to millions of people, he’s a good guy.

2 Likes

And their loyal followers and enablers.

1 Like

Soleimani had more right to be in Iraq than we do!

And…our “leaders” have made it perfectly clear, by word and deed, that the US considers itself exempt from international rules of war

2 Likes

I think your failure to mention that Danny is a mere mortal like you and I, and therefore subject to the same mistakes as you and I, is not a bad failure, but a failure.

I think any analysis should include the fact that he is now in adulthood a vocal and conscientious critic of the war machine in which he served. I see that fact as redemption for his earlier errors.

1 Like