Home | About | Donate

Trump’s ‘Muslim Ban’ Disrespects the Constitution

Trump’s ‘Muslim Ban’ Disrespects the Constitution

Sonali Kolhatkar

In explaining how he would ensure that Muslim immigrants do not pose a threat to Americans, Donald Trump has said repeatedly that his administration would subject people seeking to enter the country to “extreme vetting.” Upon examining the language of the order, it is unclear if the president himself would pass his own litmus test, particularly when it comes to respecting the U.S. Constitution.

"Reality" (show host) bites... (bigly)

"Maybe someday, in a post-Trump world, we can truly proclaim that America is a nation of immigrants"

In the post-Trump world, the surviving cockroaches and rats will not give a tinkers damn about immigrant humans, as there will be none.

The US is a nation of immigrants, Trump is from an immigrant background, so is his wife, and the most killings are performed by US citizens against others, not by refugees. Human Rights are not defined by the ‘liberal left’ they are defined by all humans.

President Donald Trump has signed an executive order preventing nationals of Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Yemen, Libya and Somalia from entering the US. Syrian refugees are indefinitely banned, and other refugees are banned for 120 days. It’s not clear what comes next.

During his campaign, Trump also stated his intention to remove all 11 million “illegal immigrants” from the country. The nation is waiting to see what will happen to them.

In migration studies, there is a general lamentation about the eroding of the “politics of compassion” and the development of what Hannah Arendt and Rony Brauman called “politics of pity” that has replaced compassion, empathy and justice. Compassion takes place when the person suffering is in front of the person who is not; pity occurs at a distance.

This latest executive act of the new Trumpocracy demonstrates the gross hypocrisy of the American ‘model’ at its worst. The US has always distinguished itself from the authoritarian countries of the ‘Old World’ by stating that it was new creation founded explicitly on the principles of democracy and welcoming those fleeing from the older regimes.

The Statue of Liberty is a well known icon of this philosophy, and the image Hollywood presents is one of warm-heartedness and openness to new citizens and new ideas.

Alas, no longer. Trump and the electoral forces he represents clearly believe that this time is past, and the US will become once again, as it was in the 1930s, an insular republic arrogating to itself the power to go anywhere in the world to enforce its will, but no longer willing to operate as an international partner.

The US Constitution makes a separation between Church and State in order to avoid theocracies and internal conflicts. All religions are allowed, none may be barred or discriminated against because of their religion.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”

The US, like Australia, is not a ‘Christian nation’.

The US already has some of the most stringent regulations and lengthy assessment procedures prior to admitting refugees and immigrants; the current regime wants to institute racist regulations that breach the US constitution.

White supremacists across the US are celebrating the moves, and the fact that they have one of their own in the Oval office directing Trump and this executive order - Steve Bannon.

Why you’re celebrating is another matter.

Can I just make you aware that the US are causing terror for civilians in some of those countries by dropping bombs on them, by killing them - who do you refer to as the ‘terror-prone region’? I would think the USA fits the bill. Your chances of being killed by an American citizen are rather higher than being killed by a refugee. Americans are killed mostly by Americans, not much by foreigners or immigrants or refugees. Americans are very good at killing themselves as well as killing people of other countries.

What do you expect from a so called civilised nation? West must learn to respect and tolerate those who are different.

Native Brits planned to bomb Parliament House and Buckingham Palace. They were convicted under the Explosive Act. If they were Muslims they would be tried under Terrorism Act. They are the product of British education system which makes a man stupid, selfish and corrupt like majority of British MPs.

Muslim rapes of non-Muslim girls and women should be counted terrorist crime. If Muslims fart or sneeze or both at the same time, that should be counted as biological terrorism. All Terrorists are Muslims… Except the 99,6% that Aren't. We are not terrorist as west call us but we are victims of terrorist like BUSH.

All terrorists and extremists in the western countries are home grown. They are the product of western education which makes a man stupid, selfish and corrupt like majority of British MPs. There will never be an end to extremism as long as Muslim children keep on attending state schools with non-Muslim teachers.

Muslim population is on the increase in all western countries because of immigration, high birth rate and conversion. There will never be an end to immigration from Muslim countries. Islamic studies should be a compulsory subject in all schools and colleges for the benefit of the western people and Muslim children should have their own state funded Muslim schools with Muslim teachers where they could develop their cultural, linguistic and spiritual identities, otherwise, they would be lost in western jungle. Muslim schools are nothing to do with segregation or integration. It is purely an educational issue.

I have been campaigning for state funded Muslim schools since early 70s. I set up the first Muslim school in London in 1981. At the time of 9/11, there were only 54 schools and now there are 188 full time Muslim schools and only 28 are state funded. I would like to see each and every Muslim child in a state funded Muslim school. I hope one day my dream would come true. There are hundreds of state schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be opted out as Muslim Academies.

Stop treating foreigners like garbage and they will stop ruining your precious country. Why did you let them in in the first place if you didn't want them here? They left everything in their countries because of your promises. Are you so anxious to please that you can't say "no"? I would love to see you go to a foreign land where you don't have any friends, you don't even know anyone and you don't speak the language, and start from scratch. I would just LOVE to watch you do that. Let them integrate and stop segregating them. What I want is people being nice to each other. I don't care about race.
IA
http://www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

The constitution is a worthless document. It's terribly constructed and full of ambiguous bullshit it never had any intent of upholding.

What's being disrespected is common human decency. Something the constitution doesn't protect or care about.

But the Constitution is all we have on the record. Far from worthless, though I agree it is flawed. That's why it includes an amendment process, for disambiguation and updating. Now if we can just agree on where it needs to move.

Right now, sadly, the other side is far closer to having their amendments enshrined in the Constitution than us. That's why the next election is key. We cannot let Republicans gain three more states. To whatever extent one does or does not like what's in the Constitution, it could get worse.

That's why I'll be voting blue dog Democrat in my district if I have to. As long as he/she is environmentally conscious, favors voting rights, and will put a check on our mentally unstable president, I'll walk the streets. It's about my country now.

The two greatest risks to the Constitution right now are ALEC and the right-wing movement for an unbounded constitutional convention. And as to the midterms, I look forward to, and will work toward, the irrelevance of party labels after every election, if not in the election. There's no basis in the Constitution for the parties.

We are dead in the water if a convention happens. Personally, I don't care about party labels, but just making sure there is a check on the party in power now. Sadly though, that check is still going to mean a status quo much further to the right than I want. But if we don't pick up governorshipsome and/or legislatures in a few states, the progressive movement will be dead.

Progressive governorships and legislatures, indeed. Immunity to ALEC. That's what we must look for, and make sure they know we don't really care what party label they wear. The question is whether any party can give us servants of democracy, ready to govern rather just run for office, do something rather than just be something. And do what's right, for all of us.

In the district I live, quite red, a blue dog came within 1000 votes of unseating our hard right corporate stooge of a Congressman a few years back. What I wouldn't give now to have that election back. I'd walk the streets for the guy at this point.

The thing is, when I look back, would he have been with me on every issue? No. But would he have been with me on most, a lot more than the guy in office now? Yes. I also believe he would have been way more responsive to the concerns of constituents. Lying about selling off land in the Tahoe Basin or near Yosemite, which very few of his constituents could ever afford, wouldn't be an issue. But it is what it is now.

I know what you mean. I worked on the 2014 campaign that first rattled the 8? term smug misrepresentative in my NJ5th, a classic, dumbbell-shaped gerrymander. He didn't make it in. Then the incumbent shot off his mouth about GLBT issues within his own party, lost his finance-business backers, and lost in November to a pretty classic corporate D. I'm giving him a chance, holding his feet to the fire, keeping a hard eye on him. I have to say, when I complained about a "survey" going to fundraising, I got back an apology, on point, from a different account and apparently signed by himself. So far, semi-OK.

That's good to hear. Living in my red area and working in an even redder one, I know how hard of a climb it's going to be to unseat my Congressman. It has to be done though. The guy there now is basically a straight down-the-line corporate stooge, Trumper. Someone who is at least conscientious about the environment would be a huge step over the guy in office now.

The first amendment of the US Constitution grants all the right to practice their chosen religion (or no religion) without provocation, just as it prohibits anyone from imposing a 'state' religion. The founding fathers knew the tenets of Islam and some studied the Quran, like Jefferson, Franklin, and Adam, incorporating its wisdom into the Constitution. This law protects not just you as having been born here, but all who are in the territories claimed by the US, Muslim, Jew, Christian, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist. agnostic, Wiccan, or atheist; immigrant or non-immigrant; natural or naturalized citizen and non-citizen. All but the indigenous peoples-the native Americans- are immigrant here: Europeans, African, or Asian or descendants of them.

Donald J Trump has violated not only the law but the raison d être of the United States of America, but he is not the first to have done so, just as we who profess Islam are not the first to have been discriminated against or to be threatened with expulsion or to be refused admittance or shunned for practicing our original rituals or celebrations. History is rife with atrocities done to immigrants and those who were born here: the natives, the African slaves, Jews, eastern Europeans, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Roman Catholics, and the Irish, just to name a few who have endured maltreatment. They have survived and so to shall we.

'I created you in diversity, not as enemy but to know one another.'

That amendment process and any and all attempts thus far to clarify language have turned into this. It's safe to say it's a failure on every level.

Conceptual, structural and implementation - failure.

Written by elites, for elites.

The ideas were from the enlightenment, they should take the best idea from the period and apply reason to their decision making processes as a fundamental part of creating all legislature.

A little late for that, and no not a reason to start over. Let's hold the sitting President to the Constitution he has sworn to uphold and defend.