Home | About | Donate

Trump’s Quiet Meeting with Saudi Arabia and Israel Portends a Dangerous Collision Course with Iran

Trump’s Quiet Meeting with Saudi Arabia and Israel Portends a Dangerous Collision Course with Iran

Phyllis Bennis

This article is a joint publication of Foreign Policy In Focus and In These Times.

It was a lot to take in, even in these whipsawed media moments.

In one 24-hour news cycle, President Donald Trump fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, appointed the war and torture-backing CIA chief Mike Pompeo to replace him, and then tapped Gina Haspel—who covered up CIA torture in Thailand—to replace Pompeo.

Secret meetings with Terrorist nations that purchase $100’s of Billions in weaponry to use on their neighbors is not the actions of a Democratic society that values Peaceful Coexistence.

Of all the quagmire wars the US is currently mired in, a war with Iran may be the dumbest.

Because Israel/KSA/USA won’t just be fighting Iran, they’ll also be fighting Hamas/Hezbollah/Syria/Iraqi Shiites and possibly Russia behind the scenes.

And really, do the Saudis even count? They can’t subdue the Houthis in Yemen even with every possible advantage.

Eventually one would hope the other big players in the world game of war would stand up to the US and say “Oh no you don’t. Your start a war in NK or Iran and we will fight against you. Guaranteed.”
Looking for some sense and defense from our traditional enemies…sad.

Wait a minute! Who is running this country anyway? Are we just going to sit on our spoiled apathetic, affluent asses and let these troglodytes drag us into a war of corporate and oligarch plunder? Not me, I’m doing everything I can short of loading a gun to thwart this draconian agenda. If it comes to it, and I totally despise that it might, I will even consider loading the gun to put this administration in the docks at Nuremberg.

During his March 1, 2018, speech to the Federal Assembly, Putin made the following statement:

“I should note that our military doctrine says Russia reserves the right to use nuclear weapons solely in response to a nuclear attack, or an attack with other weapons of mass destruction against the country or its allies, or an act of aggression against us with the use of conventional weapons that threaten the very existence of the state. This all is very clear and specific,” Putin said.

“As such, I see it is my duty to announce the following. Any use of nuclear weapons against Russia or its allies, weapons of short, medium or any range at all, will be considered as a nuclear attack on this country. Retaliation will be immediate, with all the attendant consequences.”

And predictably the news cycles in the U.S. started shouting that Russia is being the aggressors, and of course you can accurately predict that if Trump did ease off the hawkish behavior he would instantly be labeled a Putin puppet. The corporate media are so mired in the own narrative that they would rather have WWIII than be proven wrong.

Bombers, rockets and bombs, drones, missiles may kill people, but they cannot kill ideas. Hopefully, someday these ideas will triumph and the world will reject the warmongers and naysayers of our age.
*Someday, perhaps we will cherish and help our neighbors instead of bombing and starving them for personal gain.
;-})

Plus, at least several of the six parent companies of the MSM are heavily invested in the MIC; and, the CIA has significant sway with many MSM outlets (e.g.: WaPost, NYT) as to what they publish. In other words, many of the MSM anchors/journalists/front-people know exactly what they are pushing and for whom. But, the pay is oh-so-good.

Sadly that is what the media is for. They are perfectly capable of gaslighting the populace into supporting the use of such weapons and the wars they are used in. When was the last time the media advocated for true peace?

Mind-numbing that ANYONE anywhere would support nuclear war.

Your right it’s not. It is the actions of the Corporate Fascist States Of America.

The corporate media project what the Oligarchs have told them to project. They would indeed rather have WW3 then be proven wrong. That is they way of psychopaths…

A very dangerous triumvirate of evil, dedicated to military and political power, using “religious” extremism and supremacy as a weapon - the few dominating the many.