Home | About | Donate

Trump Stimulus Plan: Still Getting Everything Wrong

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/03/19/trump-stimulus-plan-still-getting-everything-wrong

2 Likes

Great article. The Great Orange Pumpkin is 100% clueless as is the Republican senate. They should all lose their jobs come November. I have never witnessed a more heartless, uncaring bunch of dimwits in my 78 years of life. They are “The Worst and the Dumbest” (sorry Halberstam) bunch of clowns the US has ever seen.

6 Likes

This is a sensible approach. I talked to my boss about it.
He thinks he could swing the 75/25% split that Denmark is using to keep work forces afloat.

And the Senate is proposing only $1200/month for individuals up to $75k annual income and dropping from there with those earning $99k/year getting nothing. Not enough!

2 Likes

"The president appears not to know what he’s doing."
No; really???

Actually, his not knowing what he is doing may probably be a best case scenario.
Think about this: Trump first denied Covid-19 occurring in the U.S. for weeks, which allowed the virus to take hold. Afterwards he downplayed the number of cases for several more weeks, while not preparing for the possibility of pandemic. He thereby did not initiate testing, or begin procuring the medical supplies that would be necessary during a pandemic.
He then let the cruise ship the Grand Princess incubate the Covid-19 virus for days before allowing it to dock in Oakland.
Once docked, the infected were taken to Travis air force base, where Trump then had untrained and unprotected Human Health Services personnel from the Mexican border brought up to treat the Covid-19 patients. The HHS personnel were then free to come and go, as they did, and thereby spread the virus.
All this, (and more not mentioned), leads me to believe this administration is either the most incompetent in history, or worse, that they deliberately let COVID-19 spread.

6 Likes

Aren’t the people losing their jobs getting unemployment insurance? (Yes, I know it will likely be for less than they were earning.) This will be on top of the checks coming from the government. And to make matters worse it sounds as if, if one did not file a tax return last year, made too little to file, they won’t receive anything.
There’s also a payroll tax holiday in the bill too, like that’ll do much good for hourly wage workers, they’ll be the ones getting hit the hardest and losing their jobs so they won’t be paying any payroll taxes anyway.

2 Likes

It lasts 3 months in my state. After that, you are on your own.

1 Like

Three months, that’s not good even in better times.

The stimulus package is supposedly extending unemployment coverage and payments. It certainly should last until this is over and it is safe to go back to work. (That is, provided the jobs remain.)

1 Like

The auto bailout was completely botched because no concessions were demanded for either worker ownership or increasing R&D & D(eployment) of EVs. If the airlines or any other corporations get any welfare help, they must agree to whatever it takes to implement an emergency Green New Deal and begin to quickly equalize economically. IOW, dramatically reduce high pay and increase low pay, and for airlines, contribute significant amounts to a fund to build a state of the art high speed rail network. Failing that we have to force the House to block any action by replacing every member who votes the wrong way on this and other real emergency measures

2 Likes

It goes back to the guy in Washington state who returned from the infected area in China. The CIA and NSA should have been all over this----all travel out of China should have been stopped back in dec.----And then they let all these people return from infected countries??? Trump is getting very bad advice----Any REAL President would not be going in the direction that Trump has chosen-----you have a partial shut down----not this------I’m sure my land lord is going to let me go for three months-----and then I woke up-----on the street!

4 Likes

This article makes a lot of sense. I read it last night, and read it again this morning. Perhaps these features will be included in the US stimulus plan.

In my experience (after I dropped out and before I dropped back in) it often takes a month or more after filing to receive the first check.

1 Like

Agreed, and good on your boss for thinking pragmatically/realistically.

As usual, Baker blows hot and cold. He prides himself on being a contrarian, when in fact he tries to straddle the chasm between “mainstream” economics and reality. The bigger problem seems to be that there is little dialogue among people with some knowledge of what works and what doesn’t (to what ends?), and how different parts of a complex action interact, including feedback loops that can be positive or negative. And lawmakers need to be reminded that since the administration has rightly called it a “war” it needs to behave accordingly and suspend a lot of limitations that are appropriate in “normal” times but not in planetary-scale emergencies.

1 Like

Trump Stimulus Plan: Still Getting Everything Wrong

Not really, Trump in my view, is getting everything right for Wall Street and the 1% Oligarchs. Folks do not be fooled, if we know anything we have to know that Trump could care less about the average American! And has only specious and disingenuous empathy when it suits his nefarious, agenda.

From my perspective, Trump’s stimulus plan is designed to be really a stimulus for Wall Street to keep it propped up before the inevitable crash.

1 Like