Home | About | Donate

Trump, the NRA, Mass Shootings and the American Culture of Death

Trump, the NRA, Mass Shootings and the American Culture of Death

Bill Blum
A fish rots from the head down.”

Ancient proverb of disputed origin

Another week has come and gone, and with it, another mass shooting. The American culture of death marches on, fueled by our obscene stockpiles of lethal weaponry and stoked by the divisions, alienation, hatred and fear that have come to define us as a nation.

Death sells.

Look at our TV programs. Look at our Movies.

Our Military has over 800 bases around the globe and they are militarily involved in over 130 countries.

Death is their business, and business is good.

Until this nation comes to it’s senses and rejects the Macho Military expansion of Empire and embraces Peaceful Coexistence with all nations, Death will continue to rule our national agenda.

From the article:

“A fish rots from the head down.”

But the NRA, subject of the article, is not the head—that would be Empire, and the culture of chest-thumping militarism and obligatory uniform-fetishism deployed in its service. What with military flyovers at every outdoor sporting event, seemingly non-stop TV recruiting ads for one or another branch of the armed forces, and video games like “Call of Duty,” it should surprise no one that the suggestible and the disturbed among us find the idea of earning respect through random violence compelling.

I clicked “Reply” before your post appeared, otherwise I needn’t have bothered—great minds, and all that.

“…think alike.”

PonyBoy, not only will death continue to rule our national agenda, but eventually like everything else stupid we as a nation perpetuate it will come back to haunt us even more than it already does. Just look at our changing nuclear posture as evidence for what I say.

Given that 5 percent of the Worlds population owns 50 percent of all the guns in the hands of private citizens in the world, Citizens in the USA should be the safest and the freest on the Globe IF one is to believe the crap spewed by the NRA and the Gun cult.

Using their logic If in fact as they claim Guns are keeping people safer , then one can only wonder at the number of mass killings that were to occur were they restricted which then begs the question. Why are citizens of the USA THAT willing to kill their neighbours?

The fact that there guys like John Bolton and Mike Pompeo holding office , both of them advocating the mass murder of persons abroad and suggesting it the RIGHT thing to do has more then a little to do with it and that media, wringing their hands every time one of this killings occur while at the same time cheerleading the bombing of poor brown peoples in Syria and Iraq and iran are just as corrupt and just as venal and just as murderous and just as responsible.

Now I have no doubts that Wolf Blitzer has had a few things to say on this latest school shooting but I can not confirm that as I do not have cable tv. This to illustrate HIS hyprocisy if he indeed gave one of his sniffling somber reports on this shooting.

To give specific details of the US involvement in the slaughter of children, Paul noted, “We are refueling the Saudi bombers that are dropping the bombs. It is said that thousands of civilians have died in Yemen because of this.”

CNN’s Blitzer responded, “So for you this is a moral issue. Because you know, there’s a lot of jobs at stake. Certainly if a lot of these defense contractors stop selling war planes, other sophisticated equipment to Saudi Arabia, there’s going to be a significant loss of jobs, of revenue here in the United States. That’s secondary from your standpoint?”

So what I would ask if Wolf Blitzer is this. Is this latest shooting in a US school merely a moral issue or do YOU think people should be considering the number of jobs affected were the Gun Industry not able to sell so many guns?

Trump! Trump! Trump, Trump, Trump! The sound of jackboots stomping on democracy.

On of the biggest problem is that these fetishistic gun wingnuts were always there. Starting with and after the tumult of the 60’s, the paranoia struck deep. These folks are here to stay. If you probably like many of us here, you got feeling during adolescence that the America mindset was in many was not seriously desirable. The sickness and hiding is real. Reagan did happy face act for eight years and a lot of people fell for his seduction-just carry on as you always have, you are entitled. Now finally we are REALLY hitting the wall and maybe half the country is denying it. The United States cannot possibly keep going the way it has been and deny it’s collective psychiatric problems. It was able to do it in the twentieth century because overall so much positive was going on. Those days are long gone.

It seems like the flag is always at half-mast. Maybe it should be flown upside down as well. This country is in real trouble.

The only thing that trickles down in this country is the kill them all attitude of criminals like Pompeo, Bolton, etc.

They aren’t.
There are some 300 million guns owned by millions civilians in the U.S. firing 100’s of millions of rounds a year for sport.
Gun homicides and accidental shootings have dropped year after year.

Let’s look at the furor over school shootings.
Any school shooting is terrible and get massive press coverage but the fact is that more children die from falling televisions than school shootings.

See pages 16,17.

Why are we fomenting fear of being shot in school among young people? FAR more people will directly know someone who dies from car wrecks, alcohol and drugs just list a few things, than will ever know anyone murdered with a gun.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/26/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

People misuse many, many things to kill each other.
Americans are, as a whole, very responsible gun owners.

That is one fucked up argument. I mean, that is one fucked up argument. A fucking disgrace. I lost my very first love as a teenager to an auto accident. I can’t imagine how much worse her death would have been at the hands of someone with violent intent blowing her brains across the room.

I mean you have to go that fucking low to protect your fucking guns? Fucking gun culture.

I say ban your fucking guns. All of them. I’m so fed up.

That’s a terrible thing. Sorry to hear it. I’ve lost friends that way too.

You lose me on that one. The senseless death of a loved one is maximally tragic to me, no matter what the cause.
I can’t imagine thinking while I was being told that my extremely premature son wouldn’t make it “Well, at least he wasn’t shot”.

Do you work to ban the automobiles that killed your love?
If not, why not?

I’m just making the point that painting the vast majority of gun owners as dangerous irresponsible death dealers because a tiny, tiny minority do something terrible is as stupid as labeling every illegal alien as murderers and rapists because a tiny, tiny minority do terrible things.

I’d love to hear why you think that citing actual facts is somehow “going low” in a discussion of an emotional topic.