Home | About | Donate

Trump Violates Law by Taking Putin Notes

Trump Violates Law by Taking Putin Notes

Miles Mogulescu

The Washington Post has reported that Trump “has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter, and ordering the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration o

My opinion is that Trump discussed personal matters with Putin during the 2 hour, off-the-record meeting. In his opinion, it is possible that he did not discuss anything that would require the production of a transcript under the laws. If that is so, then shouldn’t we just let this go?

NO! because only Trump, Putin, and the interpreter know what was discussed. Because he is president, those personal matters most likely have an influence on his official functions. Some things a person does while president are personal. Do the family conversations at the Christmas dinner table need to be recorded? NO! but this was not a lunch date with his bud Vladie. I believe they were discussing what level of cooperation was required of Trump to prevent the revelation of Kompromat that Putin holds over him.

What the interpreter heard and what the FBI found out won’t be known until the relevant House committee’s call for hearings on this matter. Tomorrow is not too soon to start them.

More Russophobia. What is meant by “documentary material” here?? Translator notes used to interpret what Putin says? Rubbish. If this were violating the Constitution, then wouldn’t that require any US President who so much as has any kind of conversation with a non-US citizen leader in a foreign environment be required to record or otherwise write down everything that was said, even if no decisions or actions followed directly from said conversation? We know that’s not true.

4 Likes

Thankfully, there is some precedent for declassification of documents.

Sorrowfully, among all the serious circumstances in which this should be done, we find our attention drawn to it by this sort of jerking around. It is not the least bit typical that Congress be demanding transcripts of presidential conversations with foreign dignitaries, but something that has arisen by several factors:

• The general lack of confidence in the current president
  • The transparent fact that the lack of confidence is deserved
  • The desire of elements within the Democratic Party to drive the self-serving and fatuous “Russiagate” fantasy
  • A collusion between the neoconservative-neoliberal elements within both parties

It is rot all around, but most dangerous in that it offers opportunity for a power grab.

Ironic that a member of the entertainment industry is spreading more Russiagate BS. Did Miles forget the McCarthy hearings?

4 Likes

"Other U.S. leaders held long private meetings with their counterparts without notes being taken.

"When Richard Nixon met Leonid Brezhnev he did not even bring his own interpreter:…
"At their 1986 Reykjavik summit Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev talked without their notetakers](https://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/21/world/reagan-continues-private-meetings-with-gorbachev.html):

"Mr. Reagan and Mr. Gorbachev began their second day of talks with a private meeting that had been scheduled to last 15 minutes but ran for nearly 70 minutes, with only interpreters present . They met in a small room in the Soviet Mission , with the Soviet leader seated in a small armchair and Mr. Reagan on a sofa.

In the afternoon, they meet alone for a little over 20 minutes and then again for 90 minutes. All told, the two leaders have spent 4 hours and 51 minutes alone , except for interpreters, over the two days here.

“The archives of the Reykjavik talks](h do not include any notes of those private talks…”
All of which is from the Moon of Alabama blog.
There is nothing unprecedented or even unusual about the brief talks between trump and putin , nothing that is apart from the extraordinary fuss being made about them by Democrats scared of politics returning to America and wondering who will pay for the next campaign if there is no incentive for small donors to contribute and the Kleptocrats are scared off by such radical ideas as trimming a military budget larger than the next ten biggest defence budgets in the world and (Horror of horrors) taking medical care out of the hands of the profiteers and introducing a service that provides to those who need help first, like kids with parents who earn regular wages or old people sick and broken by lives of hard work and callous neighbours.

3 Likes

The article is all sound and fury signifying nothing.

3 Likes

A little off topic, but the senate has gone Russian on a Putin pro business move to kill sanctions. This is traitorous in normal times, overtly traitorous right now.
How about either Trump or the senate doing at least one thing that doesn’t favor the Russians?
This crap is going steadily downhill, and apparently nobody is minding the store.
This is like having the Frankenstein monster terrorizing the town and countryside and no one shows up to protest.

This is unprecedented in Presidential history, and truly chilling. After all, fourteen U.S. intelligence agencies have already concluded that Russia interfered with the 2016 elections, and Trump and his campaign is under investigation for possible conspiracy and obstruction of the probe.

14 intel agencies?

This sh*t continues to make it into CD?

2 Likes

Jimmy Dore covers this very well, check out:

Another Bogus RussiaGate Story

2 Likes

…" fourteen U.S. intelligence agencies have already concluded that Russia interfered with the 2016 elections." Please stop repeating this horseshit Hillary line; it was not fourteen it was three and the analysts were hand picked. This is how you “fix” intelligence; pure disinformation. Trump is a train wreck but get him on reality, his business dealings ,suborning perjury, the emoluments provision ,i.e. making money privately off his position, especially his hotel with its nest of lobbyists. Trumps interest in Russia has always been financial.
The real election “interference” was the Republican voter suppression efforts; crosscheck, voter id laws, voter list purges and other dirty tricks to reduce the Democrat voting base.

The Russia, Russia Russia hysteria is a McCarthy style red herring that covers up the corruption of the corporate Democrats, their sandbagging of Sanders, Pelosi’s “pay go” provision, sucking up to Wall Street and the corporatocracy as well as bedding down with the MIC.

If Trump is so pro Putin he has a funny way of showing it: cancelling the SALT treaty and anti missile treaty, sanctions up the kazoo, trying to interfere in the Russia/Europe gas pipeline, etc., etc. And, of course, bombing Syria.

1 Like

Trump appointed agency heads that implemented laws pertinent about as little as any picks possible. So, there you had not a shut-down, but a turn-off of various gov sectors (many). Then the literal shut down over an insane wall, with 71% of Americans opposed (28% for). Actually, the turn-offs were kind of a shut down, and these turn offs (appointments made with brazen conflicts of interest in play) seem to me like they should be the grounds of impeachment [it was exactly like years of environmental activism and legislation getting undercut by sundry “trade” treaties…a “coup” of sorts??]. Also (to me) sort of like reverse-emoluments; Trump was giving away money to corporations…revolving door concept. OTOH leasing the old post office bldg was illegal, and when he was overpaid for the hotel rooms…actual emoluments.

Article II THE PRESIDENT AS LAW ENFORCER

Before I get to the “interference,” let me do a little prelude.

Oil is sure causing a lot of trouble.

“It sounds like they’re putting a priority on helping the American oil companies. Even more significant was the statement by Bolton…essentially when the US takes over Venezuela they want to have the US companies do the actual oil production in place of the state oil company.” Allan Nairn (best to start at 14:34 and keep going to 16:55) https://theintercept.com/2019/01/30/donald-trump-and-the-yankee-plot-to-overthrow-the-venezuelan-government/

Here below is an idea about an “interference.” Whether it might be right, or might be wrong…let me get through the biggest hurdle (another prelude) I know of to finding out: I AM NOT CONVINCED YET ANYONE CAN IDENTIFY “FINGERPRINTS” ON THE HACKS…IOW whose they are (see Wired link at bottom). But if they could ever convince me they could provide some kind of probability percentage it was Russians…then I’d say, what if it wasn’t the GRU? What if it was oil??

Anyway…for example (example only)…a Russian bought the oil and gas subsidiary of Germany’s RWE (don’t let’s start imagining that the guy was the type that would have folks beat to death like they say Magnitsky was…I’m not convinced he died that way).

2015 https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-oligarchs-that-own-western-companies-2015-2

2018 “Tokyo Gas, RWE agree LNG cooperation” As the first concrete step under the MOU, a framework has been agreed for cost reduction through LNG shipping and trading optimization utilizing the US LNG procured by Tokyo Gas.
https://www.lngworldnews.com/tokyo-gas-rwe-agree-lng-cooperation/

China has tried too. "Two years later [2005], China oil producer CNOOC dropped its effort to buy U.S. rival Unocal for $18.5 billion. In this case, it was lawmakers in Congress who managed to scuttle the deal. CNOOC blamed a ‘political environment.’ ”

I guess the thing is MbS could have hired the geeks. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=foreign+ownership+of+petroleum+refineries&t=hi&ia=web

Doesn’t say anything about shipping petroleum. https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Foreign_ownership_of_U.S._corporations

Too much Russiagate. Russiagate on the brain. I fear I’ve contrived something that cannot be…that could not have been. They’ve looked high and low, and say there’s no evidence of vote numbers changed. Therefore, voter suppression outdid Russiagate by light years. On the facebook thing, I go with Aaron Mate’s article in The Nation 12/28/18.

the hurdle “One nugget of particular interest to Trump supporters: a section titled ‘Umbrage’ that details the CIA’s ability to impersonate cyber-attack techniques used by Russia and other nation states.”

Schneier goes more from the MSM storyline (doesn’t everybody?), but argues there can be deterrence. https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/06/an_example_of_d.html

Just Duck searched “from pull-outs to coup,” and got nothing. Suppose (I’m just saying “suppose”) a savy PR firm tells Trump that the peace people are holding back a liberal horde that’ll get you FIRED yesterday…so announce these pull-outs [I know, that’s a real unorthodox assumption…that they’re holding back anybody]. Then, when the peaceniks have let up their guard a bit…go into Venezuela like lightening and get their oil. Are these big moves on Trump’s part just the random flailings of some narcissist desperately trying to convince people he can do important things? I wonder. IF there was any hacking (if it wasn’t some thumbdrive)…IF there was a hacking attempt that amounted to anything…Lord knows, it could have been any OIL oligarch (wouldn’t have to be a Russian, but one Russian, for example, does own a subsidiary of RWE which intends to ship US LNG).

“I have just returned from Germany and seen a remarkable split between that nation’s industrialists and their political leadership. For years, major companies have seen Russia as a natural market, a complementary economy needing to modernize its manufacturing and able to supply Europe with natural gas and other raw materials. America’s New Cold War stance is trying to block this commercial complementarity. Warning Europe against ‘dependence’ on low-price Russian gas, it has offered to sell high-priced LNG from the United States (via port facilities that do not yet exist in anywhere near the volume required).” Michael Hudson
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02/01/trumps-brilliant-strategy-to-dismember-u-s-dollar-hegemony/

Are you on drugs? Personal meeting in the middle of a high level event of the head of states? You do sound like Trump ! Covfefe ?