Home | About | Donate

Trump Voters: One Year in, and he’s Broken 20 Big Promises He Made to You

Trump Voters: One Year in, and he’s Broken 20 Big Promises He Made to You

Robert Reich

1. He told you he’d cut your taxes, and that the super-rich like him would pay more. You bought it. But his new tax law does the opposite. By 2027, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, the richest 1 percent will have got 83 percent of the tax cut and the richest 0.1 percent, 60 percent of it. But more than half of all Americans — 53 percent — will pay more in taxes. As Trump told his wealthy friends at Mar-a-Lago just days after the tax bill became law, “You all just got a lot richer.”

There are only two promises that really matter and he has kept his word on both. Deport undocumented immigrants and stop Muslims from entering the country. The other promises were for media consumption where it is believed people vote their economic interest despite all the data showing they don’t. His supporters knew which ones to focus on to get what they want, a whiter America.

All I can say–and I DESPISE DUMBF!-- is that he is following protocol for (nearly) ALL politicians running for office: Say what sucks 'em in, do what your “owners” say to do.

In August of 2015 I was compelled to read Sinclair Lewis’ It Can’t Happen Here (1935). It IS happening here. Trump may just be waiting for his ammosexual army to deploy. With Distraction Central, the Super Bowl and the Olympics ready to fill the screens, I fear the time is near.

Lying Liberal Turned Conservative Creep.

Dr. Reich continues to perpetuate the misconception that “Trump Voters” are largely industrial class lower-quintile wage earners. This is not true. Polls have showed that the majority of Trump voters were moderate to higher-salary high white collar engineers, middle-managers and small business owners - notably those who are “born again Christians”.

And Yes, they are very, very happy with the job Trump is doing - although yesterdays stock market was a bit of good news for me, bad for them…

I fear, though, Yunzer, that a LOT of his votes came from many low-wage earners who bought into his blatant LIES about his going to “champion” them, when, in fact, he CHUMPIONED them, as did Oliar.

Who counts promises broken by a politician? Invariably, it’s the opposition stumping to get their politician in office, so she or he can break their promises. Anyone care to count the promises Obama broke? Where was Reich, then?

Trump is doing a great job as the Useful Idiot in Chief. He has great entertainment value. Meanwhile, as everyone watches the daily Trump reality show, his handlers continue to engineer this country’s continuing slide into fascism.

A year ago, here in San Diego, it was common to see a beat up 20+ year old Japanese sedan rolling by with a Trump bumper sticker and a haggard looking white person driving it. Lately you don’t see that too much anymore. Just a lot of homeless whites. They are literally dying on the streets from a Hep A outbreak. That’s how this county handles its homeless population, which, BTW has increased 27% since 2016.

I’ve always assumed that you are from the Pittsburgh area (?)

I would assume that many people looking for some kind of change bought into what Trump was saying even though he is well known as a con artist and compulsive liar. Perhaps they only watched Fox News and by deciding to day within the friendly confines of the alternative right wing universe were spared knowing the truth about who Trump is. Or maybe they felt they had nothing to lose because things had gone so badly for them. It is easy to forget that Trump appears to lack any human values so lying is nothing for him to feel bad about. Just as he couldn’t care less about how many people lose health care coverage because of him or how many lives he messes up by deporting people. Or how thug-like the ICE police act. Or who gets hurt by his policies. Or how many people die from US military bombs. Or how many species go extinct from losing protection. Or whether democracy in the US ends. Or virtually anything so long as believes he comes out ahead when the dust clears.

Robert Reich knows how to make you understand things - clear, fast, to the point. and in the case of the prez caesar voters - that might be the only way to penetrate their thick ignorant skull.

Still I can’t forget the sad truth - about 50 million Americans voted for the conman, rapist, mocker of disabilities. and now it’s like watching Nero Caesar LIVE.

Thanks.

Dror Marom
Journalist, israel.

I have yet to hear of a Trump supporter expressing regret over his/her vote, or otherwise hinting they won’t vote for him in 2020 (except for hinting they might not live that long.)

CNN and MSNBC occasionally have some disgruntled Trump voters on.

Some seem genuinely remorseful. Some, not so much.

It’s a pride thing for sure.

There were certainly some localized pockets where low-wage poeple voted for Trump, but here in the rust belt, the low wage white people generally didn’t vote at all. The Trump voters were overwhelmingly comfortable middle class, and they voted for him because of his racist, xenophobic, anti-“tree hugger”, anti-“welfare collector” positions. Not because they thought that he was going to be a “champion of the masses”.

I made my call by seeing all the “fans” of Dumbf at his rallies. MANY, obviously non-wealthy, cheering his inanity/ insanity.

Yes, that is correct. I discussed voting patterns in my area in an earlier article, but unfortunately Commondreams does not provide a search utility of one’s comments to find it.

Now, you do realize that you can’t assume that a person is poor because they dress in old jeans, t-shirt, and worn ball cap, and look like they eat a lot of empty calories, right? The late model $35,000 pick up trucks most of them came to the rally in is the real clue…

The ones I’ve seen are more like $55 - $60k

What could be worse then this freaking nightmare of a society we live in now? No, I would prefer total Anarchy if that was my only two choices. You should fear because no matter how this plays out, I fear we all lose. But enough of this pretending everything is okay, going around desperately trying to hold on to a past that is gone forever. It is debilitating to watch it happen…