Home | About | Donate

Trump Wanted a Van Gogh. Instead, the Guggenheim Offered Him a Gold Toilet Called 'America'

Trump Wanted a Van Gogh. Instead, the Guggenheim Offered Him a Gold Toilet Called 'America'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

The Guggenheim declined President Donald Trump's request to borrow a Vincent Van Gogh painting, instead offering to loan him an 18-karat gold, fully functional toilet called "America," according to an email obtained by the Washington Post.

I think it’s a sadder commentary on modern art than on Trump.

I recall going the the biennial at the Whitney several years ago, and someone was passing off a 8’ x 20’ litter box as “art”.

Seems fair—the R wing of the Capitalist Party is passing off Donald J. Trump as “president.”

If you can’t cry to this, you have no soul.

https://www.youtube.com

Considering art is a reflection of society, a golden toilet is a perfect piece for the USA. After all, the corporate oligarchs are sitting on all their stolen riches as the take endless shits upon the citizens.

Thanks for such a perfect response. You said it all.

I think you may need a more specific web address to that which you are suggesting.

An internet fart, perhaps.

This, like the TV commercials, is priceless. My respect for the Guggenheim, and MS. Spector just went through the roof.

Ah, but politicians are always con artists… Real artists are supposed to lose the “con”

Thanks, that was great.

You bring back memories. I saw him perform that live decades ago… Thanks

Our CD community is very special, I’m not sure how many times I watched this, but my dog got a good drink from my tears.

Our CD community is very special, I’m not sure how many times I watched this, but my dog got a good drink from my tears.

Methinks Ms. Spector must have been inspired by reading the biography YUGE!  30 Years Of Doonesbury On Trump” by G. B. Trudeau . . .