Home | About | Donate

Trump Wanted a Van Gogh. Instead, the Guggenheim Offered Him a Gold Toilet Called 'America'

Trump Wanted a Van Gogh. Instead, the Guggenheim Offered Him a Gold Toilet Called 'America'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

The Guggenheim declined President Donald Trump's request to borrow a Vincent Van Gogh painting, instead offering to loan him an 18-karat gold, fully functional toilet called "America," according to an email obtained by the Washington Post.

I think it’s a sadder commentary on modern art than on Trump.

I recall going the the biennial at the Whitney several years ago, and someone was passing off a 8’ x 20’ litter box as “art”.

Seems fair—the R wing of the Capitalist Party is passing off Donald J. Trump as “president.”

4 Likes

If you can’t cry to this, you have no soul.

https://www.youtube.com

An internet fart, perhaps.

1 Like

This, like the TV commercials, is priceless. My respect for the Guggenheim, and MS. Spector just went through the roof.

Ah, but politicians are always con artists… Real artists are supposed to lose the “con”

Thanks, that was great.

You bring back memories. I saw him perform that live decades ago… Thanks

Our CD community is very special, I’m not sure how many times I watched this, but my dog got a good drink from my tears.

1 Like

Our CD community is very special, I’m not sure how many times I watched this, but my dog got a good drink from my tears.

Methinks Ms. Spector must have been inspired by reading the biography YUGE!  30 Years Of Doonesbury On Trump” by G. B. Trudeau . . .