Home | About | Donate

Trump's Election Delay Threat Is a Coup in the Making

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/30/trumps-election-delay-threat-coup-making

1 Like

The most effective tool in the GOP’s 2020 election voter suppression strategy is its ongoing dismantling of the US Postal Service that started more than a half century ago. Unless the street protesters shift their target to saving USPS post haste, the GOP has a good chance of suppressing the vote to the extent that Trump gets a second term and the GOP controls both houses of Congress, at which point the GOP’s SS goons will be dropping protesters out of airplanes over the ocean after they are snatched from the streets of American cities, like they did in Argentina and Chile after Nixon and Kissinger triggered the Allende assassination.

4 Likes

He doesn’t have the military, so he doesn’t have shit. No worries. Just more bluster BS on his part. I hope he spends the night of 20 January 2021 on Riker’s Island.

5 Likes

This is all a coup in the making. He is setting the stage. He is trying to delay the election, he already announced he will not concede and leave even if he is voted out, now he is attacking the USPS and railing against mail in voting saying it will be a fraudulent election. He has most of congress on his side, the DOJ, the military, the Supreme Court that just helped him hide his taxes until after election, the courts where ideologues will be more than happy to uphold his new authoritarian order, not to mention the obscure DHS/Gestapo storm troopers who will soon be firing live rounds at people. He has appointed family members and loyalists in key positions so there are no more checks and balances left. The man and his allies are setting the stage to contest and overturn the election and hold on to power by any means necessary and there isn’t a thing anyone can do about it.

We need an animated, active populace and leadership. Yet Bden is nowhere to be found, hiding out in his basement and hoping for the best and the rest of the nation is sedate and scared trying to make ends meet during a pandemic that devastated them and leaves little time for activism while they are trying to keep the roof overt their heads. We are totally screwed. Ever watched the flashback scenes on the Handmaid’s Tale and how it started? That’s where we are now.

4 Likes

How the hell is this about Biden? We have Marines. Trump is unravelling. So what else is new?

1 Like

Hi WiseOw:
I Iike this scenario—the week before the election he is toId that he has covid—and then the day of the election, he is toId that an angry mob (made of those imaginary haters— who Trump accuses of everything and whatever-) – is said to gathered outside the White House. For his safety, he is quickIy taken down to the bunker—and Ieft there untiI MeIania and Baron are packed up and aII traces of Trump are gone from the White House. Then they wiII release him -----with the tax auditors ready, wiIIing, and waiting to handcuff him for his tax fraud prosecution and everything else he has lied about. : )

2 Likes

Trump CAN’T change the election date, it’s in the Constitution. He does not have the authority to delay it even via emergency powers. States could individually delay, but that would only hurt a specific state by possibly not having their electoral votes ready for that counting.

1 Like

There is a lot of things people assured us Trump couldn’t do and yet he did them and got away with it too. So running that argument at this point is just plain naive. Even if he doesn’t move election day, he is setting things up to dispute the outcome and hold on to power. And given that he has half of our checks and balances on his side, I would be very careful with laughing him off as some buffoon who is just talk and delusional. This buffoon was underestimated right into the presidency and beyond.

6 Likes

Actually the Constitution gives Congress the power to set the date of the election and the meeting of the Electors.

Article II, Section 1, 4: The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

So then Trump is suggesting something that Congress would have to enact. They could only delay it so much though as…

Amendments, Article XX, 1: The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

So the Congress couldn’t delay the election and the meeting of the Electors past dates in January to allow the counting of the votes and selection of the Electors in time for the Electors to meet in time to determine the winner before the 20th of January.

But Congress could do that.

1 Like

This is the ultimate unprecedented statement tRump could make. Members of Congress should be scrambling to assure the people of why this is not possible, explain how the election will be protected, and who will remove tRump if he is defeated and refuses to accept it. In the meantime, his statement will spread across social media with opinion attached supporting his fears and positions. His followers will fall into step behind him on this matter. Some members of Congress might even support delaying the election. Without coordinated resistance, I agree with you: there is little we can do to stop it and we will be totally screwed. Backing down to a bully is a big mistake, but many of those who have stood-up to him are lying in the gutter. I’m worried.

5 Likes

I have a couple of problems with this article even though nothing the author states is incorrect.
The U.S. has been engineering coups since World War 2 with incredible success (…if “success” is measured by Wall Street and not by the human suffering!) and it would be foolish to think that the same Washington bureaucrats haven’t considered applying that same successful formula to our own government. However a major distinction occurs here compared to other countries that had their democracies snatched from them by small cabal of wealthy sociopaths followed by a brutal crack down afterwards. The difference in the U.S. is that neither Party really represents any semblance of a ‘people’s movement’ and neither Party poses any threat at all to the existing power structure. In other words it would be like overthrowing Hitler to replace him with Goebbels. Corporate America is not at risk here and could simply sit on the sidelines as misinformed poor Americans slaughter each other over the idea of having an ‘undemocratically elected leader’ when in reality America hasn’t had a truly democratic leader (someone who represents the public interest) for generations.
A coup may still take place, but only because anyone who knows Trump understands that he is terrified of spending his final days on earth rotting in some supermax prison for the thousands of crimes he has committed before and during his ascendency to the presidency. Trump believes that he must cling to power for four more years to reduce the odds of him being charged and convicted once he has to leave office.
If Trumps pulls off this sleight of hand, it will in most likelihood be a short lived experiment until Trump is replaced by Biden. This will probably occur by Americans pouring out into the streets to reject Trump’s excuse for remaining in power. Violence will naturally occur, but provided that the demonstrations continue to grow, at some point corporate America will have to pull the plug on Trump. But once Biden is placed on the throne, Americans will rejoice that American democracy has been saved when in reality we haven’t lived in a functioning democracy for quite some time. People will think that this is a victory for the 99% when in reality it will actually be proof how gullible the public has become.
Another problem is that because all of us are faced, as usual, with two terrible choices this November, the only thing that we should all be concentrating on is to ensure that no Democrats or Republicans get elected to the House or the Senate. After all, if either of these two hopeless leaders end up in the White House, either one will still depend on Congress to continue to pass egregious corporate designed legislation that will undermine the 99% on a day to day basis. Instead of creating a movement to jettison these undemocratic leaders from Congress, our valuable time is redirected to a somewhat meaningless race between two despicable human beings who will sell all of us down the drain to the highest bidder each and every time.
It is too easy to blame this all on Trump or Biden. The problem is much deeper than that and the solution starts with Congress and NOT the White House. To pretend otherwise, is to be complicit in the entire charade that corporate America uses to dumb us down. If we don’t act now, our Congress will also be permanently closed to “outsiders” (populists fighting for social justice and equity) and the coup will be complete in spite of occurring in plain sight to all.

6 Likes

There’s always the Settle For Joe campaign (that says it all), if one can keep from hurling.

I think it’s a tossup, Trump could actually win this thing again, but he probably won’t. And it’s not because the country wants Biden. Gonna miss Trump, he was actually a barrel of laughs, including the pic on this article.

If Biden is gifted w/the presidency the same old, same old will be marching back into power, expect Obama/Clinton redux. Anything that’s done will be behind closed doors, well except for the lobbyists in the room. At least everyone knew where Trump stood, and it was usually in a pile of…

2 Likes

Get the straight jacket ready.

If he struggles, inject him with the bleach.

6 Likes

There is a very easy way to eliminate the manipulation or withholding of mail in ballots . I did the following for years .
As soon as your ballot arrives in the mail . study the issues , fill out the ballot , keep the receipt if there is one and HAND DELIVER it to the county office building in your county that handles the ballots .
There should be a box available to drop your ballot into. If your really paranoid like me , then video the name and number on the ballot and keep filming as you drop it into the box . If they claim they did not receive it , you have proof that you dropped it off in their care .

2 Likes

This attitude, which I’ve actually heard out of a friend or 2, really pisses me off!
Drumpf, the reality show star, has NEVER been funny. His bs has f’d this country up, almost beyond repair. If he manages to stay in office, the country, as we know it, is history. Late night TV - Colbert, Meyers, Kimmel - has made bank off this moron, but they would give it up in a second to get rid of the insane clown president.

3 Likes

And in my view, the most successful coup of all was on 11/22/63.

3 Likes

JC, this happened w/Bush too. The neolibs screaming from all the rooftops “The world is ending, the world is ending!” Well it didn’t. When Obama (aka drone king), self-professed “one we’ve all been waiting for” won he not only continued Bush’s policies, he expanded them. Nary a peep from the center/left-center democrats. (Yeah, I bought it and voted for Obama, the first time.)

Of course I’m not voting for Trump, I’ve never voted republican. I’m an Independent, left the democratic party a decade ago and will not be voting for Biden either. If the d-party wants my support, they can damn well work for it.

Trump is not intentionally funny. It’s his stupidity that’s hilarious. Coming from wealth, he’s led a life where everyone told him how great he is and he actually believes it (“stable genius”). If people would stop kissing up to this buffoon he might get a clue. He doesn’t care about the job (POTUS) and is monumentally incompetent, but he certainly loves the prominence and position along with being catered to and waited on. This is exactly what he is not willing to give up. (Well that and the massive enrichment to the Trump clan his stint in the White House has brought them.)

2 Likes

May it be so; it is time for Big Justice for election stealing, mass murderer rump!

1 Like

Trump is a TRAITOR-----he has invited foreign powers to involve themselves in our elections----and now he threatens CONSTITUTIONAL FOUNDATIONS to the republic----The republicans right now are refusing to do anything as the economy goes over the cliff???

Republicans are EVIL
Democrats are corrupt

We live in a CORPORATE MILITARY POLICE STATE

1 Like

At least democrats know basic managment----Bush 9/11-----and the biggest economic meltdown since the depression-----Trump—done nothing except write the tax code for himself----killed 150,000 American and the lowest GDP number in history -32 -------------------ALL THESE EVENTS WERE PREVENTABLE