Home | About | Donate

"Trump's Lies and Racism Never End": Sanders Hits Back at President's Attacks on Baltimore

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/29/trumps-lies-and-racism-never-end-sanders-hits-back-presidents-attacks-baltimore

5 Likes

Elijah Cummings: " If I was a con man I would be in Trump’s cabinet." Sooooo damn true! Amerika, is now a full fledged MAFIOCRACY! Trump has certainly given the White House the proper name for his base.

6 Likes

As you look around our country that has been under t___p’s watch for X number of daze, who’s lot in life is better and who’s is now much worse. Forget the race issue, this is about all of us and who really loves America. By what I see with my crocked and shifty eye’s is someone truly hates America and Americans.

2 Likes

Mea Culpa. Quote was Al Sharpton, not Elijah Cummings.

5 Likes

Trump uses racist, sexist, and other degrading tweets to distract. Meanwhile his administration is dismantling federal government protections for regular people that have been in place since the Great Society and New Deal while expanding the military-police state.

So why can’t we (and I include the news media) start with the racism, and instead of dwelling on it and nothing else, pivot from the racist, sexist talk to the Trump admins racist, sexist, and class warfare actions. And then deliver another vision for America - one that recognizes the value of all Americans, one that emphasizes our common struggles to deal with the economic, social, and environmental challenges we all face.

We can walk, chew gum, and care for each other all at the same time.

2 Likes

Baltimore has always been a very historic city. That’s where my main guru, the most honorable Mr Frederick Douglass, grew up in bondage. For Baltimore (or anything else) to be singled out for an Orangeman insult is an honor. For perspective bearing directly on events today, Douglass’ searing memoirs (he wrote three – as he kept re-imagining how his story could be framed in the cause of liberation) are highly recommended. Great summer reading!

4 Likes

DEM Debates coming, Muller, This is how President Caligula controls the news cycle and sucks up the oxygen. That’s it.

1 Like

He’s only able to indulge his sadism with the masochistic co-operation of the fake opposition. Orangeman knows Pelossy can never allow impeachment, so he’s going to keep escalating. And liking it!

6 Likes

… and to recruit.

5 Likes

Is Trump writing his tweets now or is someone else? He can’t read, so how is he going to know what Sanders said about Baltimore or anything? Maybe Stephen Miller and his oppo team writing them up while Trump drools in front of the TV?

3 Likes

What blows my clucking mind is how inept sometimes people on “the left” are at simply turning the tables on right wing jerks like Trump. Good for Sanders however, he IS making the necessary distinctions to do just that.

However, others will be defensive of the city of Baltimore instead of pointing out how the oligarchs in both parties are responsible for the nationwide growing blight of what used to be lower middle class neighborhoods where people could afford a house, healthcare and food for their kids, and also be able to afford to keep their properties in repair.

Now every city you go to, outside of the gentrified sections where the class warfare winners have taken over, it’s pretty much deterioration regardless of racial demographic. OF COURSE “people of color” have had it much worse for a long long time but the fact remains that a disappearing middle class adds to the ranks of the poor and ensures this nation is heading with full force into a class divide just ripe with potential for fascism or whatever flavor of totalitarianism.

In such a world, that upper class continues to enjoy the vistas of everyday life where “everything sure seems peachy to me, what’s all the fuss about?”, and meanwhile the masses writhe beneath the churning gears.

And soon that upper class rule through Corporate Governance of the rest of us will not only have mass surveillance and a vast prison industrial complex and militarized police to enhance their power, they will have AI empowered police, data/surveillance compiled dissident lists, and a myriad of ways to further isolate themselves against the turning tide of justice.

All this to say, it is all going to get a LOT worse for a very long time before it gets any better.

7 Likes

From the following article:
‘Donald Trump’s racist diatribes against Democratic Congressman Elijah Cummings and the city of Baltimore mark a calculated escalation of his efforts to base his reelection campaign on the incitement of an openly fascistic movement.’

Fascism - the most depraved of ideologies based on hatred and fear…

3 Likes

… and to recruit.

Well, this is an ineffective strategy. Trump’s support has reached its zenith, and with a strategy of racism, etc. he is rapidly shedding them.

Keep calling Trump’s rant what they truly are. But don’t be so distracted that you forget the material damage being done by his admin, and also, how we actually effectively address the existential challenges we face.

2 Likes

Trump is a handful alright. “For the land of the free, and the home of the brave.”
We shall see about that.

1 Like

I beg to disagree: the US America has always been about racism and class, not one or the other and Trump, as Pence, are channeling Andrew Jackson in wanting this nation to be for whites at least in the dominant position. They think their ancestors bled for this nation and built this nation–no, it wasn’t. Black folks, enslaved black people bled and built this nation–literally and the First Nations provided the land by having it ripped from them.

5 Likes

Scars we need to be reminded of at every opportunity.

2 Likes

Yes, we need to always remember them and atone for them if we are to have a future.

2 Likes

Thank you, Bernie, for the good fight.

3 Likes

Capitalism treats the environment as poorly as it has people, historically. Where is the upside that makes this sane?

2 Likes

Calendar event: Bernie Sanders debate watch party 7/30/2019. 7 OR 7:30 cst. at a location near you.

2 Likes