Home | About | Donate

Trump's New "Fundamentally Cruel" Policy Would Effectively Bar Central American Refugees From Seeking Asylum

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/05/30/trumps-new-fundamentally-cruel-policy-would-effectively-bar-central-american

1 Like

“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free , The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless , tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

After U.S. policy makers destabilize and brutalize these countries, now this?

3 Likes

Well this is really bizarre, but if you start reading Declaration of Independence—and get down farther and read the parts where Jefferson listed all the wrongs and stupid things that King George did—wow it sounds just like Trump!
Examples;
He has refused his assent to laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the Public good.
He has forbidden his Governors tp pass laws of immediate and pressing concern…
He has refused to pass other laws for the accommodations of large Districts of people…

He has endeavored to prevent the Population of these states for that purpose of obstructing laws for naturalization of foreigners to encourage their migrations hither…
He has made judges dependent on his will alone…
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power…
For cutting off our trade with all parts of the world and and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever…
For taking away our charters abolishing our most valuable laws and altering fundamentally the form of our government…
I am getting weary , so please look it up and be amazed of the similarities of Donald and King George!

There’s a lot more to the Declaration of Independence…but I am amazed how many complaints that the colonists had and look at how George the 3rd and Trump seemingly have the same mindset. SO read Jefferson’s Declaration and marvel at how so many things seem similar----but then King George was said to be mad------maybe the Donald and George have even more in common. after all : )

3 Likes

Judge: “What about the rule of law?”

Trump: "What’s that, something you eat?

We make’m not take’m …

US foreign policy is driving refugees here, the “city on a hill” Reagan talked about. If Trump wants to stop the flow, he needs to fix butt ignorant US foreign policy and quit training torturers and fake Venezuelan presidents.

The morally defensible way of dealing with the conditions down south is to help people live free from want.

Duh. I guess that needs to start at home, doesn’t it?

1 Like

There is this statement in which the “Founding Fathers” unabashedly embrace their racism to dehumanize the indigenous population and set the ground for the genocide of Native American nations:

“He has excited domestic Insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the Inhabitants of our Frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages , whose known Rule of Warfare, is an undistinguished Destruction, of all Ages, Sexes and Conditions.” - US Declaration of Independence

Also of note is the fact that the “Founding Fathers” refused to acknowledge the Iroquois “Great Law of Peace” which provided an example of a peaceful democracy long before Europeans arrived:

http://www.ganienkeh.net/thelaw.html

1 Like

Hi TMJinVT:
Well I was reading the Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson, and it struck me as a really hilarious source of what the colonists were upset about( because remember there was NO CONSTITUTION yet! ) This was just the complaints of the colonists and why they decided to break away from England.
I put this up to share because so many things that the colonists hated about King George, are the same things that people hate about Trump. : )
I find that immensely funny! IT was abut the complaints being so similar. If you go back to the beginning of the original post you will see that I still find it amazingly funny, that what the colonists hated about King George is what people hate about Trump now.
There was no Constitution yet, but I find it hilarious in how similar peoples’ complaints are about Trump. Maybe we somehow got stuck in a wormhole ! : )

Hi Steve_Fernandez: Thank you for adding that, but again, when I read the Declaration, it made me laugh with how many things of what Trump was doing were the things that King George had done.
And again, it’s a long Declaration and I did write, "I am getting weary, " so I hoped that people would look at the Declaration again, as I did not want to go through every single line. It was just a chance, if people had the time, to go back and reread how this whole place started and se how similar some of the 18th century and 21st century complaints are the same.
And not everyone ignored the Iroquois, because Ben Franklin got the idea for the 2 way system for the Congress from the those naive Americans. : )