Home | About | Donate

Trump's USDA Rolls Back School Lunch Guidelines Championed by Michelle Obama

Trump's USDA Rolls Back School Lunch Guidelines Championed by Michelle Obama

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

In one of his first orders of business, President Donald Trump's newly confirmed Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue took steps to weaken school lunch standards championed by former First Lady Michelle Obama.

Sonny Perdue is probably less concerned because personally, he sticks to his three Martini lunch which is low sodium (unless he digs into the peanuts!).
But joking aside, the amount of salt and sugar in processed foods is out of control. It's also an indirect problem as kids get used to the taste and learn to reject normal foods as bland because their tastebuds are tuned to higher levels.

My 11 year old will be absolutely thrilled. :slight_smile:

So, a packet of ketchup will count as a vegetable again...

The food wrappers count as fiber since they have more fiber and as many nutrients as the "food".

Sonny Perdue presents living proof that you are what you eat. Study carefully, children, this man who comes from a state ranked 45th in education. A scant 3 years ago he ridiculed the science that recognizes climate change.
To consider his history of alleged conflicts of interest, scroll down the wikipedia page.
This is a man who OKed smoking because tobacco sales represent tax revenue. No doubt schools represent consumers of corporate products, thats YOU, dear friends, negotiating K-12. Keep in mind that the wealth of the Secý of Education comes from one of the biggest pyramid schemes in history and related to a private mercenary operation that had to leave the US and change its name. Are you learning about the meaning and history of these concerns? Hmmm, didn't think so...

You ARE Mossonarock to recall that little tidbit of American history! Of course, these days, the president himself counts as a vegetable, though not of the nutritional kind.

Mayday, International Workers Day and not one acknowledgement by commondreams. What's up?

My guess is that Perdue's family and those of the food execs he's benefiting don't eat the food that they want to shove down the throats of the kids. (Just like those who are trying to "reform" public education send their kids to chi-chi private schools.)

There is another added toxin in processed foods: molded plastic in the containers that leaches into the foodstuffs contained therein. Germany is conducting an ongoing comprehensive study of the affects that molded plastic leaching has on the hormones/pituitary and thyroid glands of consumers with youth age groups the primary foci. (News documentary on DW TV news)

Several universities are also conducting similar research:

Estrogenic chemicals often leach from BPA-free plastic products that are replacements for BPA-containing polycarbonate products (https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-069X-13-41)

Perdue, like Reagan, will twist that around to say that consuming plasticized processed foodstuffs is nutritious and beneficial to all school-age children (that and growth-hormone-filled chicken, his specialty).

Let them eat ketchup....

And the "experts"(food industry/industrial ag group lobbyists) attribute lack of progress in school to PUBLIC education, overpaid and underworked (their claim) teachers (and teacher unions). In addition, like they persist in doing with climate change, deny that processed foods are empty calories with low nutritional value that have proven deleterious effects on children: bone growth, teeth, and brain activity.

Bloated, self-serving, amoral ignoramuses.

The cruelty, viciousness and pure greed of Trump and Co. is stunning.

Yesterday, today and tomorrow - for Republican politicians, it's always about family values.

Just look at the human detritus that has no respect for anything but their quarterly reports. And, this regards millions of children, who with just a little marginal improvement have had their present and future health greatly improved by our gracious, beautiful soul Michelle. I hope it comes back to them. How dare they treat students this way? The entire country needs to know. This is only one step backward, we will in time be rid of these rodents who themselves deserve only to eat out of trash cans.

If it were up to me Perdue would eat excrement.

Wow, Trump is pushing for something that will make things worse. I am surprised.

" You are what you eat ". Trump voters; I got some real good shit for you to try, it's primo stuff. Just came in from Mexico. Better than that broccoli and those tomatoes you been getting from your local homies. It's da bomb, really. The gut bomb, that is.

Being from the South, his philosophy would tend to lean toward believing that people who get a school lunch are "lower" than him and his family. Or should I say the "old white South." It's not a style of eating that gives a damn about nutrition. In reality, he'd as soon let them starve. That would be O.K. too, since his mind is basically on the plantation.

The Trumpsters do not seem to have opinions based upon alternative facts, but rather, reflexly vote nyet if Obamsters enacted it.

I was looking for an article in my old files and ran across this, which I wrote on 15 April, 2006. It seems to me that it would fit in almost any of the many articles of the last hundred days. This one seems appropriate as it deals, a bit, with hungry children, so I offer it now. If I had run across it a couple of weeks ago, it would have, again, been an Easter offering.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An Easter Meditation
by
Steve Osborn
15 April 2006

HOLY week is upon us. The Jews have celebrated Passover and Christians are observing the passion and resurrection of Christ, the “Prince of Peace.” It was Christ, like many other great world teachers who said, “A new commandment that I give unto you, That ye love one another.” “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good unto them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.” Isaiah said, “They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”
* The Christ said, “For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger and ye took me in. Naked and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison and ye came unto me.” “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
* As I read the above, I see before my mind’s eye, the millions of people, starving, with no idea of where their or their children’s next meal is coming from. This, not only in the poorest of nations, but in many areas of our own country. There are millions of people around the world who are reduced to drinking sewage and other foul waters because there is no fresh, pure water available to them, and so, many perish from thirst and disease. I see hundreds of thousands working themselves to death in sweatshops, barely able to clothe themselves, to provide cheap clothing with little animals and logos on them for the wealthy. I see the sick and maimed in bombed out clinics and hospitals, with no medicines, no sterile conditions and few doctors and surgeons left to help. I see Abu Gharib and Guantanamo and a thousand other prisons around the world where people are tortured in darkness, fear and degradation.
* He also said, “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” “By their fruits shall ye know them.”
* Well we should recognize those fruits. We should recognize lies and deceit. We should recognize the fomenting of hatred towards those who have never harmed us. We should recognize the ravening wolves who devour our substance, delivering little or nothing to show for it but the misery of others.
* These false prophets cry to the heavens that we are a Christian Nation, Hallelujah! We are spending hundreds of billions of our tax dollars waging war. What could be accomplished in the world if those hundreds of billions of “swords and spears” could be hammered into “plowshares and pruning hooks?” Would we have the rage, frustration and hopelessness if the common people of the world had clean water to drink, wholesome food to eat, a roof that didn’t leak, and expert medical care and medicines for their children and themselves? Do you really think that youth would prefer to strap on a dynamite vest and walk into a crowd before pushing the button if there were a forum where problems could be discussed and solutions and compromises reached and acted upon without violence? Given a way to help their people to a better life, do you think youth would prefer death?
* Think about it, this Easter Sunday at your sunrise service, and as you sit down to your Easter feast with family and friends: If you were Christ, living on earth today, who would you bomb? Who would you torture? Who would you starve? All in the name of Christ the Redeemer, Prince of Peace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Times haven't changed much since 2006, have they.
;-})