Home | About | Donate

Trump's Use of Federal Paramilitaries Is a Classic Tactic of Autocrats to Test How Far They Can Push Their Authority

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/25/trumps-use-federal-paramilitaries-classic-tactic-autocrats-test-how-far-they-can

4 Likes

Two things are urgent. First, protesters must be schooled in the ways of agents provocateurs, if they are not already. The former should distance themselves immediately from the latter and show all due restraint and not get sucked into the vortex of the traps. Second, ads should be produced and marketed displaying the goons beating moms with phrases such as “Trump is beating your mother, how does that make you feel?”.
Trump works on emotion, it would be an effective tactic to work at a deeper level and what is deeper than one’s love for one’s mother?

12 Likes

Have the armed assailants who viciously beat that navy veteran been taken into custody? Has the armed assailant who shot the peaceful protestor point-blank in the head been taken into custody? Have they been identified? Are the federal authorities cooperating in identifying the criminal assailants? Have the officials who refuse to cooperate been charges with obstruction of justice?

WHY NOT?

9 Likes

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

• Frederick Douglass

~https://i.imgur.com/1imxOVz.jpg

~https://i.imgur.com/NlnKrjQ.jpg

4 Likes

“Look at what’s going on—all run by Democrats, all run by very liberal Democrats. All run, really, by [the] radical left,” Trump . "If Biden got in, that would be true for the country. The whole country would go to hell. And we’re not going to let it go to hell."

These are the words of a dictator.

3 Likes

This is a re-post -

The fascist repression by trump goons we are witnessing in Portland may be made into a turning point; forcing at least some Americans who have stood-by as they did not have the truth to guide them, or resolve enough to join the protests - sometimes one must act - this is that time!.
The linked story of two veterans who saw the truth, who stood-up to the masked attackers and witnessed their mindless premeditated violence attacks on ordinary protesters up close and personal, being viciously attacked with chemicals and batons, can be (and has been) a catalyst for other vets to see and understand what is being done to our nation and society - violent attacks on the Constitution for political gain must not be tolerated!

Being identified only as DHS, its not entirely clear who the goons actually are - a “Wall of Vets” responding to the illegal violence by trumps goons is a powerful image!
“What they were doing was unconstitutional,” Navy vet Christopher David said. ”Sometimes I worry that people take the oath of office or the oath to the Constitution, and it’s just a set of words that mean nothing. They really don’t feel in their heart the weight of those words.” “They are thugs and goons"

Those masked goons do not "understand what an illegal order is - military officers are required by law to disobey illegal or unconstitutional orders."
“Assaulting an unarmed protester who is exercising their first amendment rights is illegal, that’s an illegal order”

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/24/portland-trump-order-federal-officers-veterans-protests

~https://time.com/5869220/navy-vet-federal-agents-portland-protests/

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/25/portland-martial-law-ron-wyden-jeff-merkley

3 Likes

Back in the day, before most Americans were born or old enough to comprehend, those of us in the Movement learned how to spot an FBI plant. If a person picked up a stone, we would surround him or her and tell them we were nonviolent. If a person asked who was the leader, we would point to each other. There were a lot of Hoover’s goons in the Movement, even starting riots and fires.
The authoritarians have become more savvy and wily. Nixon was Patient Zero of our current fascist regime. Bush 2, with his Patriot Act, gave the country to the Economic Liberty bunch(The Old South that refused to die), the Oligarchs, the Christian Right, and the White Supremacists. Slowly but surely, the Rumsfelds, Cheneys, DeVos-Princes, all slithered their way taking more and more power. Remember Blackwater’s massacre in Mosul? Iraq was a training ground for mercenaries not bound by either civilian control or by the Geneva Convention.
The 2008 financial collapse was a pause button for this bunch. If We The People had risen at that time, there is no doubt Bush would have done what we predicted he would do-refuse to leave office using some facet of the Patriot Act. But we didn’t.
They’ve had 20 years to get their ducks in line. Trump is the perfect scapegoat for history, while the debonair dynasties of Old Money will be overlooked. The Bushes, the DeVos-Princes, the hidden in plain sight powerful.
My warning to those who are in the Movement(it never changes its goals, just the names), do not give in to violent acts. Burning or bombing buildings is meant by a plant to make you look violent. And they fade into the background quickly, hidden and protected by the goons. One tactic to circumvent them is the cell. You have three or four members you know and trust. One of them is tied to another cell, but you don’t know who. And so on. That way, you can’t betray another, even under torture. Another it to be proactive. We all know we’ll need an organized resistance movement. Learn from those of the past-the French in WW2, the amazingly effective light cavalry units of the Indigenous peoples of the Great Plains and the West.
Now…do we really want to preserve The Union? I mean, really? I’m so tired of constantly having to compromise and outright give in to the conservatives, who always want things their own way. Let them have their own country without us and our labor. I volunteer to become a citizen of Canada.

8 Likes

Excellent commentary, all of it thank you G!

3 Likes

I thought trump finally got with the program on masks, mainly to try to shore up his falling poll numbers due to all the coronavirus deaths here as I doubt he really cares about those people dying, unless he felt like they were people who would vote for him.

Where I live in KS they are running pro-trump commercials on TV with white people fearmongering all the damage that the “librals” are doing to this country. I really fear that people are actually starting to buy this crap because all it is is a dishonest scheme to get trump re-elected and other vile republican candidates elected or re-elected. It isn’t hard to figure out who is really doing the damage here.

3 Likes

Most definitely. And to be specific, he equates Biden becoming president with the country going to hell and “we” seems to refer to his personal army of neo-nazi goons.

Translation: “My personal army of neo-nazi goons will prevent Biden from taking office.”

Almost sounds like he declared his intent to assassinate the next president.

1 Like

We’ve already seen MAGAts building pipe bombs to assassinate congresspeople and the governor of Michigan.

No doubt we’ll soon see some MAGAts shooting up restaurants in liberal cities or going door-to-door with a list of registered dems and an assault rifle.

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts.

In a democracy, even a very imperfect one, “We” refers to the people at large.

Trump will hold on to power by any means available to him - that’s the message I got loud and clear from the quote above.

1 Like

Well, you must be about my age, then. Unfortunately, if you are not filthy rich, Canada doesn’t want you. We’ve tried. Ordinary old people are not welcome. You can buy property, have a bank account, but you are limited to 6 months out of the year of residency.

1 Like

Good point! I have witnessed this first hand and not all the violence is done by agents provocateurs but they CERTAINLY condone it and egg some of the violent protesters on. The fascists like Trump… love the violent protesters as they have no other way to demonize the peaceful and non-violent protesters as: "ANARCHISTS, TERRORISTS AND THUGS.

2 Likes