Home | About | Donate

Tsipras Boots Syriza's Left from Government

Tsipras Boots Syriza's Left from Government

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Less than 48 hours after tense negotiations led to the passage of a new harsh austerity package, Greece Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras on Saturday reportedly "reshuffled" his administration, booting members of Syriza's leftist flank who opposed the controversial bailout.

It will not be considered a "disaster" to those who are turning the screws, rather one more move to crush every single standing trust held by the people of Europe i.e., national healthcare systems, publicly paid pensions, and any other vital public service that can be made into a privatized hell by this greedy gang of billionaire sociopaths.

Another referendum could be had to decide whether to accept or refuse the terms of the Troika. And another and another still to further define the terms of an agreement.

What is so difficult about having multiple, continuous referendums in the computer age? How can you have democracy when a tiny group of people make all the decisions?

There are a few points I can't seem to wrap my mind around: What is the infatuation with belonging to the EU? Did the 61+% of Greeks vote for no more austerity--pain--AND remaining in Europe? Perhaps Syriza could have made the case that standing up to the fascists was probably going to result in their leaving the EU so if they don't want more pain they will have to accept leaving the EU.

And what would you have done under the circumstances? Accept execution? This drama is far from over. The IMF has gone public with the news that the debt is unsustainable, and that the only solution to the problem is cancelling some of the debt, or extending the terms for ever. Everybody with half a brain knew this anyway, including all the EU negotiators. They just couldn't say so out loud. Now one of the Troika has thrown a big monkey wrench into the works.The ECB's response so far? They're questioning the IMF's figures, and say the debt is smaller. Fact: even on their figures, the debt is not sustainable. Stay tuned.

The only way they could nationalize the Greek Central bank, would be to drop out of the Euro, and shift to the Drachma. But the Greek have voted against austerity, not the Euro or the general European project. This is the nub of the problem they face. They are pulled two ways. If they dropped the Euro, they would be free to do whatever they want-up to a point. Where would they get political and economic assistance? Not from the Russians-they don't have much in the way of spare change at the moment From the Chinese? I would hope not, and I'm sure many Greeks would feel the same.Interestingly, it is the US Treasury which has been putting pressure on the IMF to write down the debt.The US is the largest contributor to the IMF, so it has some clout.The US could give a rat's ass about the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in Greece, but they do care about a strategic Nato ally going bust.By the way,Veroufakis was speaking metaphorically about the choice Tsipras was facing. He did not mean that he was in danger of being assassinated.

Funny how the photo caption reads "The eight new faces of the Greek government" under a photo of six men.

Is that because two of them are two-faced? Or did the original photo just not fit, so two people got cut out?

The IMF is not questioning the legitimacy of the debt. Therein lies the Austerity rub. The Troika isn't fractured.

Check out this article. It negates the contention that Tsipras has had no choice in this matter, that his hand has been forced all along. There have been alternatives not pursued. Tsipras is not acting one bit bitter about the injustice he has been "forced" to help mete out.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/31842-the-problem-of-greece-is-not-only-a-tragedy-it-is-a-lie

I just recommended that article prior to seeing that you already linked to it.

Because in the same way that a stoppage of energy can bring an industrial sector to a halt, capital serves as the fuel that allows for commerce, jobs, and workers' pay.

The bastards cut off THAT fuel supply and left Greek's leadership with a choice to jump off (what to them feels like) a cliff--by suddenly drumming up a monetary system out of nowhere, or toeing the line that involves horrific Austerity cuts.

We can sit here like armchair referees... but until WE are confronted with what it means to have NO money for food, utilities, and rent... it's too easy to just cast stones.

Ellen Brown explains--eloquently and compellingly--that ultimately ALL banks generate paper funds (these days, decoupled as these printed monies are from actual measures of wealth like "the gold standard," or British "sterling" as in silver). Hypothetically, Greece could do likewise. But it's like jumping from a jet plane to riding a tricycle. The momentum has to gradually come into place, and by that I mean, powering a system on a nation's OWN money.

When one considers how many natural resources must be imported--and that import sources may not accept Greece's newly minted currency--you get a broader picture of just how complex and difficult matters are for Greece's current would-be Left-leaning leadership.

The same thing happened in South Africa. Once Apartheid fell, the bankers still kept the new Black leadership by the balls. Many like to say that Nelson Mandela sold out... just as some in this forum are calling Greece's leaders traitors. Do they understand the dynamics and what's at stake?

Jesus Christ made this comment for a timeless reason: "Judge not that ye not be judged," and/or, "Let he without sin cast the first stone."

The centralization of power makes individuals dependent. For instance, it's easy to say that no one should be dependent on supermarkets (centralized food powers) for their food. But modernization, which has involved both globalization and the condensation of power into centralized entities, has pushed people to get off farms and rely on others for their food.

How quickly could a transition be made in this instance to everyone suddenly growing their own food? Producing their own dairy products?

These forms of dependency upon centralized powers were carefully put into place so that when Power decided the time was right (shades of what the Hedge Funds billionaires are doing to Puerto Rico right now) they could call in their loans and bets. Humanity, be damned. That's where Austerity fits into their planned seizure of public assets.

Tsipras' "hands are tied." Right, all the traitors' "hands are tied." All the pretty people.

What happened to the "courage of one's convictions"? Like I said, another Hollande. Jerk.

I don't think U.S. citizens have the true inside story. If Tsipras was Greece's "Obama," then heaven help them!

A lot of people have a romanticized view of how political/economic power work today. I've posted links to formidable documentaries (I'll put the same link up again) that PROVE that what runs our world are a combination of bankers, organized crime, and military hit men.

That kind of lawless, immortal, brutal troika can do anything to anyone... and frequently does.

It's impossible to know what kinds of threats and pressures were put on Tspiras.

If he was Greece's "Trojan horse," and that IS possible... it's awful. Makes me wonder why the Vatican at this point in time is allowing a Pope who speaks openly about the rich getting richer and the criminal abuse of this planet's ecosystems in a time of obvious global warming/chaos.

Are these individuals allowed in to serve as "pressure valves"? If so, Bernie Sanders could be another.

Perhaps the saddest thing is that citizens have been lied to, undervalued, betrayed, and deceived for so long that any genuine leaders--which is to say those who DO care about human rights and the ecological viability of this planet--come off as suspect.

Lily Tomlin once said that no matter how hard one tried, they just couldn't maintain a level of cynicism appropriate to the times. (I don't have the exact quote, but that's the gist of it.)

Here is the brilliant documentary that nails it all:

"Jesus Christ made this comment for a timeless reason: "Judge not that ye not be judged," and/or, "Let he without sin cast the first stone.""

Oh this is rich, coming from the forum's most vicious mean-spirited stone-thrower.

And if they refuse the terms of the EU fascists understand that they accept pain in the short term as they would leave the EU. Playing the fear card is old and how the oppressor always wins.

A good point. Some of us, however--as I am sure since I have been one of them, know something about no money for necessities and have even been homeless. Personally, I know quite a few individuals in the USA who are desperately poor and maybe you do too. Perhaps this has less to do with throwing stones but more of a disappointed reaction--fair or not-- that the Greek government did not fulfill our expectations. Something like a Messiah complex. And with the multiple crisis facing our species and all the rest on Mother Earth this might be understandable if immature and unfair.

Tsipras pulled an Obama. Seems pretty clear that he was always going to betray Greece as a nation and "back stab" the leaders that were in solidarity with the people.

Terribly sad. Politicians everywhere seem to be treating democracy as a scheme instead of a principle.

"We can sit here like armchair referees... but until WE are confronted with what it means to have NO money for food, utilities, and rent... it's too easy to just cast stones."
* Be patient, friend, we're getting there. Read the PNAC. Their goal? Total World Domination by military and financial means.
* What you are seeing in the destruction of Hellas is just practice, practice, practice.
* For a week or so, the poor and victimized of the world had a ray of hope, a dream that all is not lost. The EU is determined to destroy Hellas totally, to rob and starve until nothing is left and all of Hellas is sold off to the banksters. This is a lesson to all who relish democracy and freedom. "Do what you are told and suffer under what little we will allow you, or speak out and you will be crushed beneath the iron heel of power and greed."
* The Cradle of Democracy showed some spirit, therefore the Cradle of Democracy must die, in as humiliating and degrading manner as can be devised.
* I still have some faint hope, but...
;-})

I for one am just trying to make sense of all of this. Obviously the screws were being tightened on Tsipras. And now in turn he is tightening the screws on the Greeks even worse than the previous government that he campaigned on replacing.

I wish I could possess the enlightenment of Jesus Christ, like some who walk the Earth today but I'm a lowly sinner. I still cast stones. I try my best to cast stones at those who are turning the screws against justice and human rights, and those who capitulate to that power for their own ends.

Tsipras just cast stones against those remaining in his government that had the audacity to still be standing with the Greeks who voted NO on the referendum to more blackmail Austerity. The very NO that he compelled the people cast on their ballots. The day after he inverted the referendum with his immediate capitulation. Can't I cast a at least a pebble?

Where are the heated speeches by Tsipras that he is being forced to do such an injustice?

I get that there are great powers at work against any individual. I watched that excellent documentary after you posted it the first time. But this is an individual with at least some power afforded him by a movement of the people of Greece. I'm certain that any hostility by Greeks against him for what they perceive as selling out is an absolutely understandable emotional response.

The article that I posted a link to certainly points to Tspiras being intentionally secretive, but perhaps I should just forgive any sign of capitulation to evil by any person not in the highest realm of the hierarchy of power of the Deep State.

If that is the level that is only a legitimate target for derision, then I suppose politicians, the media talking heads, judges, prison guards, police, and the rest are all to be shielded against stones.

Sometimes it is just too much to bear. Defeat at every turn when the fight involves the interests of the masses against the interests of a tiny percent of this Earth's population.

I have a lot of stones to carry around in this bag in the meantime.

Execution is a false analogy. They need to exit the euro but not before aligning with BRIC and seeking recognition or backing of the drachma by another recognized currency. The Greeks now need a referendum on a vote of no confidence and the nullification of this capitulation to the EU.