Home | About | Donate

Tsunami Panic After 7.3 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Fukushima

I hope only the best for the people of Japan… But of all the places to have nuclear reactors-- Japan? – which has been plagued by earthquakes for centuries, along with tsunamis…? The word “tsunami” is Japanese!! --not too bright – but I’m certain there are certain ultra wealthy people there who benefit from it at the expense of everyone else.

One update from Fairewinds: the completely unstable reactor core in Unit 3 (not the fuel rod storage pool) got a bit warm. The likely suspect would be a shaking up of Unit 3 from the 6.9 earthquake, which caused the gunk in the core to come together enough to go a bit critical. After some nuclear reaction heating, rising and falling water currents pulled some of the gunk apart again.

No, this isn’t safe. At some point after the original accident Unit 4’s reactor core collapsed into a really critical position, generating vast amounts of heat. The metallic core and all of its water vaporized. The top of the reactor blew off. Radiation readings in downtown Tokyo are high, never mind in Fukushima Province.

If the reactor pool blows up, 40 years of stored radioactive cesium, it might be tens of times worse than blowing up a core into a fine dust, but probably not tens of thousands of times worse. An incredible amount of damage has already been done. Medical problems from Fukushima are officially a Japanese state secret punishable by jail time, but what information leaks out isn’t good.

1 Like

There was no damage to the Reactor 4 core fuel assemblies. The water in the Unit 4 reactor experienced no appreciable warming, and the top of Reactor 4 didn’t blow off. It was lifted off by a crane and set to one side.

Hi Dean,

• I was going to get back to you with some information, but when I logged in this morning, I see Thomas Jefferson has touched on the answer to you in post number 21.
  • I often hear somebody say that there is not much if any radiation problem at Fukushima and elsewhere. The Geiger Counters just read normal background levels.
  • Geigers read gamma radiation. It is the alpha and beta radiation that is really doing the damage and it is really hard to read without special equipment. Contaminated particles can be microscopic in size and be absorbed or ingested into organisms from diatoms to elephants. They may be airborne, waterborne, or be in soil. They are tiny generators which lodge in a body and become sites for cancers. They just keep a low level of radiation bombarding cells. Not always cancers, sometimes genetic effects. Phytoplankton produce oxygen as a waste product and provides a large percentage of the oxygen we breathe. Much of the various planktons and small organs such as krill are the bottom of the food chain. If they are contaminated and are eaten by larger creatures on up the food chain, that contamination can concentrate.
  • Millions, perhaps billions of gallons of contaminated water has been flowing into the Western Pacific since Fukushima crashed. The currents take it north to the Aleutians then across to Alaska and down the West coast. Take a look at Tom’s list of the dead or dying.
  • Also, as the phytoplankton die off, our planetary oxygen supply will drop.
  • As some sage once said, “Death is Nature’s way of telling you to slow down.”
  • I have often said, “Mother Nature is coming and boy is She pissed.”
  • And remember, “Nature bats last.” So if we don’t clean up our mess…
			**_It Will Go On_**

The red, setting sun, casts long shadows of the rocks and hills.
When the bombs are silent and the radiation has burned out,
The desert will still exist, silent save for the susurration of the sand
Blown by the winds, slowly covering the wounds of war.

Forgotten monuments again becoming homes and shelter.
Small creatures creep out in the gathering stillness
To carry on their own lives, eating and being eaten
In the long dance that predates man and will continue long after.

As the climates change, volcanos and tsunamis rend the land and shore,
With the melting of the ice the seas rise; temperate zones become steppes.
Encased in permafrost, Man's vaunted civilization may crumble away.
Man, himself, may run crying into the limbo that holds the dinosaurs.

The desert, silent save for the susurration of the sand, will still exist.
The red, setting sun, will cast long shadows of the rocks and hills.
Small creatures will creep out in the gathering stillness
To carry on their own lives, eating and being eaten as they always have...

Steve Osborn
21 November 2005

;-})

Webwalk,

• There should be a small pencil icon at the lower right of your comment I think it is the middle of three (I just checked when I sent this and it is the middle one). Click on that and you should switch over to edit. When done, click on save edit.
    ;-})

What travels long distances isn’t the radiation itself (exception: antineutrinos–which aren’t particularly dangerous) but radioactive isotopes. The main contaminant isotopes which have flowed all the way across the Pacific are cesium 134 / 137 and strontium 90, but the peak levels detected so far are less than one thousandth of the natural radioactivity of seawater–which is much less radioactive by mass than humans are.

It was roughly 30 million gallons of contaminated water in 2015–or more than a hundred thousand metric tons. But most of that mass was just water. The mass of the contaminants themselves would have been a few grams for the whole year.

I think what you are referring to is the delayed acknowledgement of meltdown for two months–even after their computer models showed probable meltdowns of at least a quarter of the core material in three reactors. But delaying acknowledgement of the meltdowns is not the same as delaying the timeline for the onset of the meltdowns. Those did not start until well after the tsunamis.

1 Like

Very much appreciative!

Thank you :slight_smile:

I stand corrected. Maybe I read too much into their admission. What I meant to imply, is that the thermal runaway started well before the tsunami hit according to the French reconstruction models looking at the last data. Everyone, except the clueless MSM now admits the temperatures soared a few hours after the 9.0 earthquake. But drama queen TEPCO kept pretending that the reactors were fine for months and years.

Thank god these guys don’t run NORAD!

Well Steve, not sure why, but it looks like i’m on a shit-list of some sort. They took my pencil away.

Look for this comment to disappear, like the comment you replied to, and like my editing option…

EDIT: OK now this is odd, because THIS comment DOES have an editing option. i got my pencil back!

Hooray!!!
;-})

webwalk wrote:

‘USGS1 lists it as a 6.9 magnitude, where does the 7.3 figure come from?’

Apparently, 7.3 was an earlier reading, since corrected.

Al_Martinez wrote (to webwalk):

'Different scales. It was a 5- on the Japanese scale.

http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/Activities/inttable.html1

The Japanese scale measures “Seismic Intensity”, a different quantity from “Seismic Magnitude” (Mw), measured by the “Magnitude Moment Scale”. The Richter Scale hasn’t been used for several decades.