Home | About | Donate

Tsunami Warnings as Mexico Rocked By Strongest Earthquake in a Century

Tsunami Warnings as Mexico Rocked By Strongest Earthquake in a Century

Jake Johnson, staff writer

A massive earthquake struck off the Pacific Coast of Mexico early Friday, sparking mass evacuations and tsunami warnings.

Initial reports from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) placed the magnitude of the quake at 8.1, but Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said it was larger than the 1985 earthquake—an 8.0 magnitude—that devastated the country and left thousands dead.

Wildfires, Floods, Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Tornadoes… Sometimes I really wonder if Mother Nature isn’t ramping up efforts to eradicate the human cancer that is growing upon her body. Not a scientific thought I know, but my sixth sense is tingling more than ever these past few years as the natural disasters happen in ever increasing numbers .
As minitrue has repeatedly stated on this site, Mother Nature is coming and boy is she really pissed off.

My thoughts exactly. The parasitic human race will soon be wiped from the face of the earth. Paybacks a bitch.

Increasing earthquakes are part of Global Warming as the melting of the glaciers
brings changing pressures on the tectonic plates.

We need to act in self-defense everywhere to close down the nuclear reactors –
100 here in the US, for example.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said waves of one meter (3.3 feet) above the tide level were measured off Salina Cruz, Mexico. Smaller tsunami waves were observed on the coast or measured by ocean gauges in several other places. The center’s forecast said Ecuador, El Salvador, and Guatemala could see waves of a meter or less. No threat was posed to Hawaii and the western and South Pacific.

The earthquake was sufficiently powerful to rock Mexico City—450 miles northwest from the epicenter—setting off alarms, toppling walls, and shattering windows. At least 26 people have reportedly been killed, but authorities say that number could rise.

The USGS pager system declared a red alert after the earthquake struck: “High casualties and extensive damage are probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Past red alerts have required a national or international response.”

No. Just no. This Mexican subduction-zone earthquake had nothing to do with anthropogenic global warming. And I really don’t think that I need to explain the obvious reasons why.

(Disclosure:I make my living in geological and geotechnical hazard analysis and mitigation.)

" Not a scientific thought."

One does not need to be a rocket scientist to see these climate disasters are increasing in numbers, severity and devastation all over the world.

When will we ever learn, it is not nice to fool with Mother Nature!

Yunz –

No. Just no. This earthquake had nothing to do with global warming. And I really don’t think that I need to explain the obvious reasons why.

Unfortunately, earthquakes are part of Global Warming because of the melting of the glaciers
which changes the pressure on the tectonic plates.

Here’s some information on that …

And in fact, Global Warming has the power to change all of our weather systems.

As our scientists have repeatedly told us there is no way to predict how all of this will compound.

Japanese scientists were warning of increasing earthquakes on that earthquake-prone island
five or six years before “Fukushima” and the government wisely planned to shut down the
nuclear reactors there. “W” sent a team to the island and when they left the nuclear reactors
were still running but the government had been changed.

That is the insanity of Capitalism … and its suicidal nature.

We need to begin shutting down all Nuclear Reactors worldwide.

Excellent post! Thank you.

" That is the insanity of Capitalism…and its suicidal nature."

Soooooo true!

There are some intra-plate seismic zones - the closest to home example being in Quebec, that are attributed to re-activated faults from the melting of the Laurentian ice sheet 10,000 years ago. The melting of alpine glaciers might be attribute to some local seismic activity in those areas - similar to small earthquakes that have been associated with filling of reservoirs behind new dams. The mass of mountain glaciers are pretty small compared to the mass of the mountains themselves - or the mountains would not be there due to crustal settlement from isostacy.

The major icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland have not lost any significant mass yet. But when they do, the associated earthquakes will be relatively small, shallow-focus, and localized to those regions. Plate tectonics is driven by convection and magmatism in the asthenosphere and upper mantle at depths of 100 to 700 km. At those depth, the weight of a 4 km thick ice sheet is like that of a fly on your arm. They do not affect sea-floor spreading, subduction, transform faulting, or other plate interactions.

don’t believe everything you read on the internet. In fact, 90 percent of what is on the internet is pseudo-scientific crank nonsense. On scieitific matters, I’d stick to Wikipedia as the least likely source to be in error regarding scientific matters.

Has the Idiot-In-Chief tweeted some asinine racist BS about “the wall” yet? Seems like something his utter lack of decency would contemplate…

Harvey, Irma, (8.2) Strongest Earthquake in a Century: It’s not all a coincidence. Period. It is a Pattern, one which continually (and exponentially) escalate.

In the case of the earthquake, it is coincidence. In the case of the storms, it is a mix of coincidence plus contributions from a warming climate.

Coincidences compounding upon themselves against increasingly impossible odds are SO much more believable than the intelligence-insulting mockery that is doled out by TPTB. Got it.

You assumed to know what I meant by the connection of coincidence and Pattern. Was I referring only to Climate Change? Or, were there more factors involved? Yes, crucial ones. But, you did not inquire for clarity. Thus, your response was inappropriate, lazy, and needlessly rude. If you wanted to know more about what Pattern (overall) was being referred to, you could have respectfully asked. But here, in the (trolled) comments section (of virtually all web sites), expecting such civility ended years ago.

You didn’t explain what you meant by “pattern” or the factors involved. You have the opportunity to do so now if you want. You should also explain how my straightforward, factual response to your comment displayed any kind or rudeness. And don’t accuse me of sea lioning either. Superstition and pseudo-science should be debunked wherever It arises.

As written, if you wanted to know more about what Pattern (overall) was being referred to, you could have respectfully asked – before assuming and replying. Moreover, after my response, your still not being able to see the referenced inappropriateness, while adding ridiculously inciting notations of "Superstition” and “pseudo-science” (without any basis or corroboration) renders any further communication with you as a waste of time.

I have been perfectly respectful. You use of “Pattern” with capitalization certainly appears to be invoking some kind of “magical” concept without scientific basis. I think most people here would agree with this.

After a little search these:

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4388

Yeah, been thinking about that Wall “thingy” too in light of the devastation now in Mexico and the Caribbean. All those brown and black skinned climate refugees that might need help must be giving him and the Tea Party Republicans some nightmares. Maybe he thinks a new wall is needed across the entire US Southern border, including Florida.

Yunz –

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X3oDMTFiN25laTRvBF9TAzIwMjM1MzgwNzUEaXRjAzEEc2VjA3NyY2hfcWEEc2xrA3NyY2h3ZWI-?p=Global+Warming+and+melting+of+glaciers+causing+earthquakes&fr=yfp-t&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Melting Ice Sheets Can Cause Earthquakes, Study Finds
Global warming may already be triggering such earthquakes and may cause more in the future as ice continues to melt worldwide, the researchers say.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/080314-warming-quakes.html

Global Warming May Trigger Greater Seismic Activity

The melting of glaciers driven by global warming portends a seismically turbulent future. When glaciers melt, the massive weight on the Earth’s crust is reduced, and the crust “bounces” back in what scientists call an "isostatic rebound.” This process can reactivate faults, increase seismic activity, and lift pressure on magma chambers that feed volcanoes.

This has happened several times throughout Earth’s history, and the evidence suggests that it is starting to happen again. Of course, not every volcanic eruption and earthquake in the years to come will have a climate-change link.

There are implications for all parts of the world where glaciers and active faults coincide, including the Alps, Himalayas, Rocky Mountains, Andes and the Southern Alps in New Zealand. But of particular concern is the continental shelf around Greenland, where a massive melting of the ice sheet might trigger earthquakes strong enough to trigger underwater landslides which in turn could generate tsunamis.

Melting ice and sea-level rise also mean that previously exposed continental margins become inundated with water. At the end of the last ice age, the extra load was more than enough to reactivate faults and trigger earthquakes around the rims of all the major ocean basins, some of which are thought to have set off giant landslides on the sea floor.

“A particular worry,” writes Bill McGuire in New Scientist, is that such seafloor landslides could “contribute to large-scale releases of methane gas from the solid gas hydrate deposits that are trapped in marine sediments. Gas hydrates have been identified around the margins of all the ocean basins, and outbursts of gas may occur as sea temperatures climb or as rising sea levels trigger underwater quakes in the vicinity.”
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4388<