Home | About | Donate

Turkey Provokes Russia with Shoot-down

Turkey Provokes Russia with Shoot-down

Robert Parry

President Barack Obama – always sensitive to neocon criticism that he’s “weak” – continues to edge the world closer to a nuclear confrontation with Russia as he talks tough and tolerates more provocations against Moscow, now including Turkey’s intentional shoot-down of a Russian warplane along the Turkish-Syrian border.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/russia-releases-radar-analysis-of-downed-jet.aspx?pageID=238&nID=91640&NewsCatID=352

The Russian Military released its own Military analysis of the incident claiming radar shows the plane never entered Turkish Airspace, did not receive radio transmissions from the Turks and was struck while over Syria. They also claim the plane crashed 4 km inside of Syria.

As pointed out the Turkish claims that "5 minutes of warnings given" contradicts the latter claim that the plane in Turkish airspace for 17 seconds.

The Turkish PM issued another veiled threat to Russia today demanding Russia stop attacking their "Turkmen borothers" inside Syria.

It can not be any clearer that Turkey directly supports ISIS and by extension so does the USA and NATO than made evident in this statement by the head of Turkish Intelligence.

“ISIS is a reality and we have to accept that we cannot eradicate a well-organized and popular establishment such as the Islamic State; therefore I urge my western colleagues to revise their mindset about Islamic political currents, put aside their cynical mentalité and thwart Vladimir Putin's plans to crush Syrian Islamist revolutionaries,” - Anadolu News Agency quoted Mr. Fidan as saying on Sunday.

I don't think Robert Parry is telling the whole story on who was behind this unprovoked attack. Which appeared to be shot down in Syrian airspace and the surviving Russian pilots states. There was no warning
by the Turkish air force. I believe my linked article is more likely what happened.

"The downing of a Russian jet fighter over Syria’s airspace was undertaken by Turkey in consultation with Washington and Brussels. Turkey did not take this decision without getting the greenlight from the Pentagon.

Is this an act of revenge against Russia for bombing the US-sponsored Islamic State in Syria?

The unspoken truth is that Russia is undermining US-NATO’s ground operations inside Syria. The latter are made up of various Al Qaeda affiliated formations which de facto constitute the foot-soldiers of the Western alliance. These ISIS and Al Nusrah rebel forces are in turn led by intelligence operatives and Western special forces, many of whom are deployed by private mercenary companies on contract to US-NATO"
http://www.globalresearch.ca/russia-china-relations-and-the-downing-of-russias-jet-fighter-by-turkey/5491012

Oh, Obama. You disappoint. If nothing you do is right, you may as well do what's right, nothing.

Lead by example. Get out of the ME.

the world's gone crazy . . .

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"We know things are bad..."

You don't have to be a Putin admirer to recognize that he has been very restrained thus far in responding to the Turkish attack, but sooner or later Russia will shoot down a Turkish warplane.

The rational move at this point would be for Obama to warn Turkey that it cannot expect NATO/US support if it provokes a war with Russia - and to let Russia know of this warning. If Kaiser Wilhelm had sent this kind of clear message to Austria and Russia in July 1914, both world wars might well have been averted. Does anyone think he is likely to do that?

Usually I find Parry interesting, but often over the top. This time I think he has it exactly right. Even if the reports about the Russian plane crossing Turkish airspace are correct, they show the plane as being over Turkish airspace for just 17 seconds. That's not really enough time to determine that the plane has definitely crossed into Turkish airspace and then to shoot it down, so the decision to shoot it down must have been made while it was in Syrian airspace or it had to have been shot down after it left Turkish airspace. Erdogan claims to be the protector of the Turkmen minority (ethnic Turks) rebels who the Russians were bombing so it seems likely that the decision to shoot down a Russian bomber in order to force the Russians to back off was made well in advance of this incident and orders were given to do so as soon as it approached Turkish airspace. Then he ran to NATO and acts as if the Russians had shot down one of his planes and not vice versa. This reminds me of the lessons I recently taught my students about how things began in 1914.

The real message is that we need to get the neo-cons out of the US Government.

This is one way to look at it another view
- Russia lost yet another friend in the region
- economic war will hurt Russia more as it has a huge trade surplus with Turkey and if gas contracts get cancelled it is Russia who is going to loose billions of dollars
- gas pipeline will be cancelled for good
- Russian fleet in adriatics can not be resupplied as Bosphorus strait will be closed

But hey you could be right , we will see later !

That is s good point but you are missing the state of war exclusion , if Russians actually start using SAMs most likely the war provision will kick in. Then those sophisticated weapons will be sitting ducks with no resupply .

This is a one time threat only, just like intimidation or blackmail with gas. Ukraine just recently announced the end of all Russian gas dependency. Turkey can easily do the same .

Quire emotionally anti pacifist rather imperialist of you , judging from your name Russian imperialist .

Cheers we will see !

Judging from your manners you confirmed quite nicely your Russian ancestry. Just a suggestion , next time you want to quote something do it with an original link not a Russian anti US propaganda site.

You're a funny guy, Pechorin. I like you. :smile:

He's what I'd call a big fat asshole.

Interesting, thanks.

By the way, I know that sott.net site from the Political Ponerology book. I'd recommend that as a "don't miss".