Home | About | Donate

Turkey: US Air Base, Nukes Surrounded By Citizens, Troops & Trucks

Turkey: US Air Base, Nukes Surrounded By Citizens, Troops & Trucks

- Common Dreams staff

Thousands of Turkish troops, citizens and police ‘surrounded’ the Incirlik air base it operates with the United States Saturday night — blocking all entrances to the air base with heavy vehicles and security forces sent to secure its perimeter.

Turkish authorities restored access to and from the key US air base early Sunday, local media reported, the day the U.S. top military official is scheduled to visit the country and tour the base.

Look, they are so shiny!

Since the Turkish regime under Sunni Erdogan is so unpredictable, dangerous, and extremist/despotic in nature, and has been charged with supporting/aiding/turning a blind eye to Daesh terrorists, the decision to get the goddamned nukes out of Incirlik/Turkey right freakin now would seem to be priority one. The potential liabilities or outright danger so extreme failure to remove them would seem ridiculously irresponsible.

Author sez: "(The bombs) use control devices known as Permissive Action Links that make them difficult to use without authorization."

Difficult. So, that's pretty much the same as impossible, then?

A bit terrible to see them sitting there, for real and all. imo, a measure of how much crazy people are in control, and others misinformed: we still have nuclear weapons.

I noticed that too. Its so very good to see smooth surfaces on these. It would just be so devastatingly embarrassing if any of those grunts that clean the place left fingerprints or something on them. The floor, however, is a different story. Did you see that stain - actually even 2 or 3!

I'm going to start a petition of complaint. I'll just bet this regular army and not a proper sub-contractor. The latter of course, having the means to demand so much more money, would NOT, I am certain, ever allow such a cheap image of stains in a photo!

I am goat butt serious!

Well I could add to that.

In place of Turkish regime under Erdogan plug in US regime under (Plug in President here) and it fits just as well.

To end these dangerously escalating power plays, the people of the world need to communicate and decide to share all power democratically. We must not allow power to concentrate by virtue of extreme wealth or by weapons and armies.

I can vision a Pentagon Honcho exclaiming, "I know, I know lets move them to Ukraine where they will be safe"!! Stupidly does not have a rank. Does make one wonder where else the US stashes these dial-a-nukes. I expect the holes are already under construction in some of the new NATO hopefuls in Eastern Europe.

ZeroHedge includes these facts in the speculation as to what's happening at Incirlik:

The lockdown at Incirlik follows a massive wave of protests on Thursday when pro-Erdogan nationalists took to the streets yelling "death to the US" and called for the immediate closure of the Incirlik base. Security personnel dispersed the protesters before they were able to make it to the base.

And while there has been no official statement from US armed forces stationed at Incirlik at this time, the situation continues to develop in front of the air base as more heavy trucks have been dispatched to surround and block access to the critical military facility.

Turkey Surrounds, Blocks Access To NATO's Incirlik Airbase Amid Speculation Of Second Coup

http://www.ploughshares.org/issues-analysis/article/meet-budget-busting-b61-nuclear-bomb:

"The U.S. is poised to spend $11.6 billion to upgrade a handful of nuclear bombs - with each bomb costing more than twice its weight in gold. The bombs were originally put in Europe to roll back a Soviet land invasion. With the Cold War over, the costly bomb upgrades would rack up more debt while adding no benefit to our security. "

I'm putting a couple on my soon to be retrofitted kayak racks so that I may feel safe as I drive past my local ophthalmologist!

Neocon wet dream.

It is coming unglued before our very eyes. Might still be time to change course, but not with Hillary or Trump for that matter. All major wars have come as a result of thinking it can not really happen. It can and this time there may well not be any bouncing back. Vote peace, vote Green.

Yes, thats it,send Hillary there, kill two birds with one stone.
We get rid of her, Turkey gets rid of Erdogan. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the US as installed a president.

Hillary for president, of Turkey.I'll start making up the signs.
Hey, I just found a way to support Hillary, Bernie!

The question should be "Is it a good idea to have nuclear bombs stored ANYWHERE at the point?"

Of course nuclear weapons in the hands of Erdogan is frightening but from everything I have read about him, however erratic he is, he is not a "madman" as everyone Washington doesn't like is portrayed. His paramount concern is his own survival. I think the real story here which won't be addressed by the M$M is that the Neo-cons "lost" Turkey. What's an empire to do? He escaped the coup attempt, purged his military of people he thinks are disloyal and another coup attempt will lack the element of surprise. Unless the empire can set up a hit job deep inside his government, Washington really screwed up this time. Maybe he'll take the nukes "hostage".
Some Neo-cons sure are dumb.

Peace
Po

Sure, but also, the decision to get ALL goddamned nukes from EVERYWHERE and DISMANTLE THEM, would seem to be priority one...

While this appears to be a dangerous situation. There are many indications. That because of this US back coup failing. Turkey is realigning with Russia. Which will throw a wrench in the US and Nato.
using the country of Turkey as a staging ground. For Islamic Terrorist groups that have murdered almost a half million people in Syria. Because Turkey is so vital to US goals of hegemony in the Mideast and Russia. If Putin succeeds with help and cooperation of Turkey. And Turkey kicks out Nato and stops supporting Islamic Terrorist. The US and Nato's plan of full spectrum dominance is doomed. Expect to see the US and Nato to do everything in the power to change the situation in Turkey.

There was a time when one mentioned neo-cons it was automatic to assume...Republican. Today that describes most politicians and to just call them dumb is very respectful. It is quaint to recall the previous leader of Turkey would not allow American's to fly over their territory to bomb and strafe some Asian peasants. Now the US has rent-a-holes to store dial-a-nukes. Took a lot of palm grease and one has to protect their investmemt.