Home | About | Donate

Turkey's Attempted Coup

Turkey's Attempted Coup

Gwynne Dyer

Turkey's democracy is dead. It was dying anyway, as President Recep Tayyib Erdogan took over media outlets, arrested political opponents and journalists, and even re-started a war with the Kurds last autumn in order to win an election. But once part of the army launched a coup attempt on Friday night, it was dead no matter which way the crisis ended.

Seems odd that the author calls the coup leaders ineffectual on the one hand: not capturing Erdo, not taking over TV broadcasts, etc. And, then telling the readers all the authoritarian and nasty things he's done the last decade, to consolidate power. But, then pivots to say 50% of Turkey's citizens are OK with a theocratic, militaristic and violent repressive gov't along the lines of Saudi Arabia and now Egypt. But, Turkey is trying to join the EU and is a member of NATO. Hello! Why would the EU want them in the first place? Why does NATO not just invite SA and Egypt in now that no standards of national deportment and geographical proximity are required? This makes me think Erdo was just sent a message: go ahead and do whatever it takes. The U.S/NATO approves and supports your actions. And, the EU is also about to increase their domestic problems by a factor of 10. But, apparently, doesn't care as long as Russia and Iran are crushed or neutered in the next four years. And, Turkey buys more weapons, of course. To get a hot war started with Syria, possibly. Which jumpstarts a bunch of nefarious actions. ..Because that's what delusional religious fanatic leaders always have to do, right? This is not going to end well for the region and Turkey. And, is why the bumbling coup leaders were duped by The Alphabets from at least 3 countries. I've got my list of the Three Usual Suspects behind this destabilizing move; your list of suspects may vary.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.