Home | About | Donate

Turning Point at Standing Rock? Resistance and Renewed Hope Against Dakota Access

Turning Point at Standing Rock? Resistance and Renewed Hope Against Dakota Access

Sarah van Gelder

Is this the turning point for the Dakota Access Pipeline? Word spread through the camp on Friday of a discussion between the Army Corps of Engineers and the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe that could mean a breakthrough.

“This proves that our prayers are really strong from the Oceti Sakowin camp,” Tom Goldtooth, executive director of the Indigenous Environmental Network told me. “Our elders told us to focus on praying for the federal agencies and the US government and North Dakota to hear what we were doing and saying: we have to protect the sacredness of the water.”

" Our elders said Tom Goldtooth, told us to focus on praying for the federal agencies and the U.S. government and North Dakota to hear what we were doing and are saying: we have to protect the sacredness of the water."

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Reminds me of the Jesus saying that: " pray for those that despitefully use you".

Mother Earth:
Love her or leave her.

I could not agree with you more tomjohnson, I wouldn`t believe anything the corps of engineers said.

1969: Bumper sticker on my '61 VW......Earth, love it or get off!

Nice.

So much better than the pro-war original. :slight_smile:

Hillary's been fairly quite on this one. That speaks volumes!.
We know Trump's position. Bernie has spoken his position- although at this point in time it carries no weight. Hillary's omission of a public position is her Permission for it to move ahead.

It boggles the mind to hear that so many people are frustrated with the "only" two choices of Trump and Hillary....75-80% of the electroate.....Yet there is a better choice with Green Party's Jill Stein.
Why are people so afraid to pick Jill Stein?.... Fear. Fear. Fear......
Maybe it will be a good thing for this country to get either Hillary/Bill or Trump....so that they can take us to a new depth of problems and despair....and then and only then will people start to make the hard choices to bring us back to different course.... Hard to rebuild a city that's already in place, but a city that has been taken out by a Hurricane....much easier to build something new from its ashes.........

What do North Korea and the Indigenous Peoples fighting the pipeline have in Common?
They are speaking Power to Power.......that is the only thing that Power listens to.

Yes, if we know anything, we know this: we cannot believe anything we are told by our government!

Is the time yet ripe for our "First Nations People" to teach the colonists how to live in harmony with the land? If only.

I agree with you but I never learn (and seemingly neither does the public).
I felt the same way after Saint Ronnie was elected twice. I thought people would wake up when they see how bad things were getting.
I felt the same way after Dubya was selected twice. I thought people would wake up when they see how bad things had become.
But it seems we just keep lowering the standard for the election of our President.
I think the movie Idiocracy may have been a little too prophetic.
My first grade teacher was right: Anyone can grow up to be President. (But I don't think that our current reality was what she was actually thinking of.)

Our only hope is Jill Stein, but that hope seems pretty remote.

Jill Stein......What I do not get from the viewpoint of a male is why does Jill Stein not attract more of the Women's Vote, the Intelligent vote? I do not understand why women would vote for Hillary, when you look at her record....Her record of war-mongering, Email Deceit, etc.......Why would the Women of this Country not be rallying behind Jill Stein??..... Women's groups who want to elect Hillary for the sake of Electing the First Women is perplexing when you have a great candidate running in all if not most states...Jill Stein.....
To elect Hillary is to choose either from the position of ignorance or fear....... God help us all with Hillary or Trump in office..... As things really get bad, people may begin to wake up to our true reality......

Rerouting the pipeline is not good news. This is only lawyer-neoliberal-speak. Our message needs to be to keep the damn oil in the ground. NO pipelines anywhere.

Trump or Hillary the pipeline may well proceed. I hope the Indigenes do not break up camp because in 45 days from now it will be some very serious winter in North Dakota making the return difficult and it will take the steam out of the solidarity movements. No rerouting, keep the oil in the ground! Solidarity! The ecovillage is a good idea.

The empire discovers its heart? Maybe. A "just village" evolves at Standing Rock, Center of the Universe. A just sustainable village is to be. And Standing Rock, just may save us all with Her teachings.

https://nodaplsolidarity.org/

More Deceit and Trickery.

The Native Americans have used actions that speak louder than words. Afro-Americans have used actions that speak louder than words. Latino Americans have used actions that speak louder than words. They are the ones who represented the tip of the arrow. But where are the actions that speak louder than words from the white pseudo-Spartacus League types that so loudly and boisterously rant while those at the tip of the arrows take the heat.

The pipeline is not going through any living rooms of the Spartacus types thus those human rights violations get a mere passing comment. Fight to keep it in the ground, oh Native Americans. And if the shit is already out of the ground and being shipped through your land, oh Native Americans, well...we White Spartacus Word Warriors will be thinking of you. We really will. Because when it come to talking shit, we're the best.

This is going to sound vindictive. Or maybe it sounds just. Here I go: I want some smart
really great trial lawyers to get together & sue the SOB

This is going to sound vindictive. Or maybe it sounds just. Here I go: I want some smart
really great trial lawyers to get together & sue the SOB who owns the DAPL and has been
siccing dogs and pepper spray & all other sorts of violence on the Native Americans who
are teaching all the rest of us what it takes to go up against PROFIT, GREED, "established"
power. Not only bring THAT SOB to justice, but have the governor of NDak & his minions--all the other governors who sent their National
Guards to help perpetrate these CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY. Let them all do the "perp walk."
"Power tends to corrupt; aboslute power corrupts absolutely."--Lord Acton

So after months of desecration, they concur that the tribes should have
been consulted, but only when the destruction/construction gets to the
river? We believe then they are going listen and do what's right? Even
if testimony is finally heard, who determines the impact? If the
decision is up to this agency that is headed by a person (John W. Henderson) who spent his
entire life training to extract resources from Mother Earth and direct
warfare on humans, if the corporation has power, then I myself am not
hopeful of change by this process alone. I recognize there are greater powers than political-economic, and hope remains there.