Home | About | Donate

Turning Point? Grassroots Groups Mobilize Against Netanyahu's 'Catastrophic' Speech

Turning Point? Grassroots Groups Mobilize Against Netanyahu's 'Catastrophic' Speech

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's announcement last month that, at the invitation of the Republican Party, he will side-step the White House and directly address Congress on Iran has kicked up a storm of opposition—from within Washington, as well as U.S. civil society.

Grassroots groups say that the resultant fall-out has the potential to move U.S. discourse beyond partisan politics and open up space for real criticism of the Israeli government, as well as defense of de-militarized policies towards Iran and beyond.

I am wondering if there is a link between the bloody ISIS, the Paris cartoonist killings and this sociopath Netanyahu 's disrespectful sidestepping of the much revered US institution, the office of the US presidency. I don't care who is running the US administration, it is like spitting onto the faces of all honorable American citizens. I'll be calling Feinstein and Boxer to stay away from this war criminal Israeli prime minister, instead they should call for his arrest for egregious disrespect for the lives and the property of the Palestinians.

Netanyahu's finger is on the nuclear trigger. His wealthy conservative partners in the US Congress don't realize this or simply don't care:

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage." John Galbraith

So true but I wonder why? This must be an illness of the mind

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather
than surrender any material part of their advantage." John Galbraith

But if he does indeed pull the nuclear trigger on Iran, i am afraid that will mean the end of Israel as we know her. ISIS type militants will be running wild everywhere, say bey bey to Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan and all other US supported oil rich entities. Iran will survive but the world will never be the same.

Netanyahu's wealthy conservative friends in the US don't care about Israel's survival or the catastrophe that will ensue in the region they are thousands of miles away, or so they think.

"Love of money is the root of all evil."

An' I ain'ts no thumper...

So, "infuriated the Obama administration"? Several articles of late have used that phrase. I've seen absolutely no signs of "fury," ever from this administration about anything.

What should infuriate all of us is discovering that faith-based components of our leadership are threateningly close to treason. What is in the hearts of our "leaders"?

We currently have 535 members of Congress, 60 are dual citizens of Israel, 164 are Catholic (82 of those are Republicans). John Boehner and Paul Ryan are both Catholics. The Obama Administration has 9 dual citizens (formerly 13). We can see these "brothers in faith" operating as brother ideologues with such forces as the Cato Institute, the t-party and AIPAC, speaking and voting in concert with one another against the will of the people.

They all seem quick to use the accusation of "anti-Semetic" against anyone opposed to Mr. Netanyahu, the IDF or the barbarous treatment meted out by the so-called "settlers" against Palestinians and other Arabs. It is Mr. Netanyahu himself who is anti-Semetic. He has done Jews more harm than anyone by repeatedly calling Israel a Jewish state and then bombing, killing, kidnapping and otherwise destroying the world's opinion of what it is to be a Jew. If Mr. Netanyahu wants Israel to survive, he should cancel his Boehner-speech and order his IDF to cease mistreatment of Arabs. He should denounce the practice he currently invites: Jews the world over to come to Israel and throw your faith around as bullying "settlers."

We must furiously demand that our leaders and judges and legislators become devout followers of the Constitution and separate their jobs from their religious beliefs. None of these people should be permitted to hold office and dual citizenship simultaneously. And none of them should attend this proposed speech to the joint session.

There might be a very simple way to convince Netanyahu to cancel his speech. Just let him pay politically for this blunt use of the podium. Let's convince President Obama to transfer the tax funds Israel owes the Palestinians which Netanyahu refuses to transfer. For the time being this amount should be deducted from the USA support to Israel's security. Once Netanyahu changes his mind and decides to release this sum the support may be increased again, provided no speech is delivered.
Not only it is very fair and simple but also it serves very well the real interests of Israel (though perhaps not those of Netanyahu) by releasing the tough economic and monitory pressure the Palestinian Authority suffers due to Netanyahu's decision.

The intense and unconditional support to Israel by the US and western powers eventually creates a monster like Netnanyahu. The Sykes - Picot agreement divided Ottoman Empire and created Israel as a police state for policing the Arabs. Even long after that the much greedy western corporations intended to take over the regions like Iraq, Lybia, Syria and other Arab regions also. In addition, constant fight and shelling disgusted the civilians to the extreme. It's the basic cause behind the rise of notorious IS and in their maneuver they are progressing. They impose threat to the Persian also. So its just not the Israel is alone. The IS wants to take over the entire Levant. Obviously the US will be engaged in a permanent war like the crusade in history. The question is who is going to fund that centurian war. The tax-payers are already exhausted and the nation is plagued with homelessness and joblessness. We have to ask that to the President and Congress.

I like your post but wonder where you got your "60 are dual citizens of Israel" from. It's something I haven't seen before.

I hope Bibi's snub of Obama ends up breaking the back of AIPAC.

With all the U.S. Presidents Netanyahu has dealt with why is he so willing to insult our current one?

Is Bibi a bigot?

Zionist's raison d'etre is anti-Semitisn,. That is why the Zionist must conflate political disagreement with anti-semitism. Further the racist policies of Zionism (really not different than American exceptionalism - another racist philosophy) is such an affront to any decent person the Zionist is able to maintain hatred towards Israel. Again the objective of the Zionist.

Bibi has brought the rest of the world to a heightened state of security. He is pushing his special brand of hatred and is having success. This rat is visibly overjoyed that the rest of the world now lives as Israel does. And we live that way to protect those scum. It is nauseating to think a single penny of my taxes supports Israel.

From a simple economic point of view Israel is not worth it. Trillions world wide to pay for our democracies to be turned into police states? For Israel? Ending Israel's reign of the world has to end. That is a nation that only offers the world conflict. Do I care about a Jewish homeland (stolen or otherwise)? No and I'm jewish. Do Jews care about anyone else's homeland? Certainly not the Palestinians.

The original Jewish terrorist had this to say about Israel to the UN.

“If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti - Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault ? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?”

“We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab population.”

"Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves ... politically we are the aggressors and they defend themselves... The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from them their country."

"If I knew it was possible to save all [Jewish] children of Germany by their transfer to England and only half of them by transferring them to Eretz-Yisrael, I would choose the latter----because we are faced not only with the accounting of these [Jewish] children but also with the historical accounting of the Jewish People."

I hope the author is correct. Israel needs to be viewed as a pariah and isolated. Zionists are racist war mongers of the worst kind.

It's roughly 1000 miles from Tel Aviv to Tehran. If the psychopaths in Israel push the button, depending on which direction the wind is blowing and what size bomb they use, they could kill themselves as well. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. Zionism, like all forms of racism, is a deeply seated form of mental illness. Netanyahu, along with a large percentage of the population of Israel, is seriously deranged.

Can you provide a link on the 60 dual citizens?

I hope this is the END of a "beautiful" friendship. Good riddance Bibi!

Much simpler solution: deny Netanyahu a visa.

No, that's definitely a mistake, possibly a side effect of who we hear about most often. The current 23 Jews (250% disproportion) is down from the 39 (350%) in the 112th congress.

Repeating the "dual citizens" trope does not help your argument.

The "lists of dual citizens" that are posted on web pages, are actually lists of Jews. No evidence of "dual citizenship" is ever provided, because there is no such evidence.

That does not stop the assertion from being repeated. It sure sounds scary: "My God! They're dual citizens! Where is their true loyalty?!?"

But they are not dual citizens.

Note: i am NOT arguing that any or every person on these lists is a good person, or a "loyal American" whatever that might be. But denying their goodness or their loyalty, based on false assertions of "dual citizenship," undermines any actual argument.

Also note: In going around and around on this issue with many people who have asserted "dual citizenship" for Jews in US government, i have found actual evidence of dual citizenship presented for several prominent persons: Ted Cruz, Michelle Bachmann, John Kiriakou, are a few examples. The category of "dual citizen" does exist; but the lists of "dual citizens" you refer to are actually simply lists of Jews.

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/dualcitizensobamaadmin23aug12.shtml and
http://michaelruark.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/members-of-the-us-government-with-dual-citizenship-to-the-us-and-israel/ and https://jhaines6.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/dual-citizens-in-the-112th-congress-their-top-5-financial-contributors-who-is-in-control/

See also CounterPunch article by L. Michael Hager, retired lawyer and diplomat whose work has been published in the Washington Post, LA Times, Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, Christian Science Monitor, The Hill, International Herald Tribune, London Independent, Jordan Times, and Truthout. He was the executive director of Conflict Management Group in Cambridge, MA, president of the Education For Employment Foundation in Washington, DC., and co-founder of the International Development Law Organization in Rome. He now resides in Massachusetts.

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/dualcitizensobamaadmin23aug12.shtml and
http://michaelruark.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/members-of-the-us-government-with-dual-citizenship-to-the-us-and-israel/ and https://jhaines6.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/dual-citizens-in-the-112th-congress-their-top-5-financial-contributors-who-is-in-control/

See also CounterPunch article by L. Michael Hager, retired lawyer and diplomat whose work has been published in the Washington Post, LA Times, Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, Christian Science Monitor, The Hill, International Herald Tribune, London Independent, Jordan Times, and Truthout. He was the executive director of Conflict Management Group in Cambridge, MA, president of the Education For Employment Foundation in Washington, DC., and co-founder of the International Development Law Organization in Rome. He now resides in Massachusetts.

Do you have any sources that provide documentation, instead of just assertions based on Israel's "Right of Return"?

A state declaring members of a religion can have automatic citizenship doesn't automatically make everyone in that religion a citizen. Yet that's the basis of your assertion. They're Jewish therefore they're Israeli citizens.

Nonsense.

You can't impose citizenship on someone just because they're a member of a religion.