Home | About | Donate

Two Days After Pfizer's Hopeful Vaccine News, 82% of Doses Already Bought by World's Richest Nations

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/11/two-days-after-pfizers-hopeful-vaccine-news-82-doses-already-bought-worlds-richest

2 Likes

It is simply unconscionable that huge corporations like Big Pharma are not giving huge discounts [if not making them free] to nations concerning these vaccine doses during a world wide pandemic. Trump and his cronies, of course, will have no problem with this. One has to wonder if the neo-liberal Biden will speak out against Pfizer’s desire to capitalize on a global catastrophe. But one should probably not hold one’s breath thinking that either a Democrat or a Republican will have the best interests of people around the world and especially when they are not American. The motto of Big Pharma, as with the for-profit insurance companies, will always be profit before the welfare of the people.

5 Likes

The remaining 18% of the vaccine will be used on the poorest of the poor in an early mass experiment to make sure the vaccine is really safe before using it on the privileged few.

9 Likes

Good point, but there is another fly in the ointment. How long does the immunity last? Does one have to keep getting stuck with a needle every few months?

4 Likes

Suspect a lot of people will not be able to afford the vaccine - even if it’s effective and has no negative long term effects. Don’t see reasons for optimism. Most of america is unemployed and uninsured. And not sure what insurance will cover , if anything.

5 Likes

Corporations Rule. Sorry folks, this is how it works in a Capitalist system. Money rules. The ones with the money rule. The Strong dominate the weak, here. Complaints and whining won’t change things… Anyway this is another distraction as Trump plans the Coup, and Passive Joe ignores many danger signs from the Trump Camp. The Trump camp is not joking here. Joe needs to confront this situation before he continues on planning the transition. Wake Up People. Who is going to force out Trump?

10 Likes

“FREE” ENTERPRISE … and how it works.
… Very “Christian”, ain’t it?

3 Likes

Pfizer’s press release about their vaccine was heavy on hype but short on clinical trial details.
They revealed almost nothing about study protocols and results.
It’s just advertising.
Also note that coronavirus vaccines require sub-zero storage from creation to dispensation, creating a logistical nightmare worldwide, and that immunity allegedly created by coronavirus vaccines isn’t guaranteed to be long lasting or even to exist, lol.
Further, this is a two-dose vaccine. Without universal government-provided health care, how many of us can even afford to get vaccinated?

9 Likes

The Christians and the Crusades… Pence, Pompei, Amy C. Barrett…a new dawn. A new mourn…

4 Likes

How many really want to be part of the ‘trial group’? I know I don’t. I’m old enough to remember the Swine Flu vaccinations, not to mention thalidomide. Masks and distancing for me, thanks.

10 Likes

I think you are absolutely right. Trump wants to stop counting the number of COVID-19 cases, the number of votes cast during the election, and which would apparently indicate that Trump has no intention of giving up power and the best that Biden can come up with is that Trump is an “embarrassment.” Trump is going to do everything that he can to subvert what little democracy is left in this country and all the while the Democrats as well as the Republicans will probably do next to nothing to stop him in the next 69 days. Both major political parties underestimate Trump at their own peril as well as the country’s.

1 Like

They don’t want to stop him. I am jaded.

1 Like

The Democrats in Georgia are doing everything they can to take the Senate away from the GOP.
Biden and the Dem Party are using their own lawyers to fight Trump’s despotic actions, and moving forward on transition regardless of Trump’s dictator moves.
Instead of always slagging the Dems, help them, especially in Georgia.
If we can defeat Lossler and Pervdoodoo there, we win big.
The bottom line is it’s not up to the corporate Democratic Party leadership or Biden to fight the Trump coup for us.
It’s up to us individually to do it, personally, out in the streets, in our own congressional districts, in voter organizing and in lobbying and counter-demonstrating.
Other than writing comments here at CD what are you personally doing to fight back???

2 Likes

Never fear, Trump will go peacefully enough, after exhausting every possible angle. Frankly, despite Biden clearly being a Centrist, I am pretty damn tired of criticisms of himn when he has not yet taken office and , as folks like you pile on him, sees that the left is not his friend.
If we expect to make progress we have to act as if we were actual grown ups and establish dialogue with his administration, when there actually is one on Jan 20th

2 Likes

For the Pfizer product, the storage issues are massive and costly as well. I sent Global Justice Now a contribution. Seems the least any of us in one of those wealthy countries can do.

1 Like

i don’t know about other countries but in Germany it will be free or about 5 Euros a pop, so ?

1 Like

We don’t hear anything about sputnik5 any more. Did i not read that Germany ordered a significant amount ?

For profit health care is simply unethical and immoral.
OK, now that that’s out of the way. It seems striking to me that a vaccine with the ‘promise’ of such a high, almost unheard of, effectiveness, was developed in record time. Add to that that this virus has so many different effects on people that it doesn’t seem possible it developed naturally in a food market, more likely a bio weapons lab, and one has to wonder what did this pharmaceutical company know ahead of time, recognize so quickly that resulted in such a quick fix? Are you telling me that this unprecedented result was luck? Keep in mind that the Wuhan Bio weapons lab was said to have U.S. dollars invested in it. Sorry, but something stinks all the way to China!

Fire away.

p.s. what I would be interested in seeing is what congressional people became invested in this pharma company and when?

1 Like

I see, so instead of going after Biden, you decide to bizarrely go after me. And yet you have little hesitation in attacking Trump while making sure that no should be allowed to criticize your beloved Joe Biden. As I tried to point out in a previous post Trump is basically attempting to stage a coup by claiming that Biden’s victory is invalid even though he has no proof to back up his claims. And yet you see absolutely no problem with Biden’s tepid response to what Trump is doing when Biden simply says that Trump is only an “embarrassment.” You urge people to take to the streets while conveniently ignoring the fact that your idol Biden is not advising people to do exactly that as the last thing which Biden and his fellow Democrats want is for the people to rise up against the establishment.

With all due respect perhaps you need to wake up and smell the roses, so to speak, by finally realizing that Biden and the Democrats, to recall an expression from the sixties, are not the solution but are instead part of the problem.

1 Like

But you ignore the counter argument as you seem to forget that during the 1950s people, including children, were being vaccinated against polio and smallpox which went a long way in practically eradicating those two diseases.