Home | About | Donate

Two Explosions Reported at Texas Chemical Plant

Two Explosions Reported at Texas Chemical Plant

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Two explosions were reported early Thursday morning at an Arkema chemical plant in Crosby, Texas, following warnings from Arkema CEO Richard Rowe Wednesday night that "high water and lack of power" caused by Hurricane Harvey placed the plant at serious risk.

Cancer Alley was built on top of a giant swamp, and on one of the world’s worst hurricane coasts. Then climate got cranked up to 11.

If you give somebody an IQ test and they score 0 plus or minus a certain margin of error, is it theoretically possible that on a bad day they might have an IQ of slightly less than zero?

Arkema refuses to say if fumes are toxic. Also they refuse to release the name of the chemicals involved. Corporations in the US need to be shut down when they give the finger to the citizens impacted by them. Criminals one and all.

Without knowing the facts, my hunch is that the chemicals at the Arkema Chemical plant in Crosby, TX, probably were toxic. No manmade chemical(s) are good for humans or animals.

Of course, if these chemicals were harmless, Arkema would not hesitate to release their identities. - Worse, Arkema must be aware, that non-disclosure would lead to speculation bout their toxicity, leading me to believe, that the company assesses their danger to be even greater than the public would assume.

• Get ready for some serious class action.
  • This whole affair, an unprecedented natural disaster and the resulting contamination of air and ground water underlines the urgency of abolishing fossil fuels and the need for the people assuming the helm of the ship of state.

Okay, that’s it! We must insist that the money spigot to the Afghanistan “money pit” be turned off, and those billions be diverted to relief and remediation efforts in our own country. We must start demanding some constructive action from our political “leadership” now.

Free market worshipers with their belief that the market is all omnipotent and omniscience refuse to see it is devoid of morals. To give power to an economy directed without morals is ludicrous and a disaster waiting

All of this and more has been created because our Congress and Elites
have been “giving the finger to citizens” everywhere while they profited financially.

These are people who don’t give a fig what happens to citizens and can only
presume neither do they give a fig about what will happen to their own children
and grandchildren.

Will their money save them?

In order to demand, you must have power – preferably non-violent -
and it is there if we begin to stand against Elites/Capitalism.
If we want to end the MIC/NSA we might all consider simply pulling the
plug on cable TV. Stopping animal-eating which is a major connection
to the violence on this planet. Look into it.
Stop supporting organized male-supremacist religions which hold so
many of us “inferior” and worthy of exploitation.
Manifest Destiny and Man’s Dominion Over Nature are violence against
Nature and need to be overturned.

As we communicated in recent days, our site followed its hurricane preparation plan in advance of the recent hurricane and we had redundant contingency plans in place. However, unprecedented flooding overwhelmed our primary power and two sources of emergency backup power. As a result, we lost critical refrigeration of the products on site. Some of our organic peroxides products burn if not stored at low temperature.

In other words, as our scientists have made clear, it is impossible to say how Global Warming
will compound.

Meanwhile, there are four nuclear reactors operating in Texas which would take some time
to shut down and one is in an area which has some flooding.

What would make us think that the calculations of the nuclear industry would be any better
than the calculations of the nuclear industry?

Ironically, it is Nature defeating capitalism. Sadly, not something that humans were able to do.

I wholeheartedly agree with your every point. Cut the cable cord nearly 5 years ago (literally).
Eating much less meat than I ever have, some days none at all. It’s a work in progress.

Where patriarchal monotheistic religions are concerned, I think the world would be much better
off without them, even though they contain some universal truths worth honoring, such as “The Golden Rule”.

The company continued:

As we communicated in recent days, our site followed its hurricane preparation plan in advance of the recent hurricane and we had redundant contingency plans in place. However, unprecedented flooding overwhelmed our primary power and two sources of emergency backup power. As a result, we lost critical refrigeration of the products on site. Some of our organic peroxides products burn if not stored at low temperature

Let’s examine the calculated and clever use of press release language to a mostly dumbed down public:

“As we communicated” sounds like “we did everything we possibly could to let all you great people know the danger ahead of time”, “we weally, weally twied our best”.
Then he adds “in recent days”. Clear implication, to me, is maybe people should have been aware of the potential dangers before they even moved into the trailer parks and shabby housing that are likely their closest neighbors.
But Texas.

Next: followed its hurricane preparation plan in advance of the recent hurricane and we had redundant contingency plans in place.
Super, so you did all that you possibly could to prevent what is currently unfolding? How about generators hung from the
ceiling and powered by solar with an adequate battery storage system? I know, that would impact the bottom line and
not make the shareholders happy. But, you are working with chemicals GUARANTEED to explode at room temperature!!!
But Texas

More blah, blah and then the zinger: “Some of our organic peroxides”. Organic? Simply means a carbon based compound. It’s connotation of course is to link it to the organic that is supposed to make food healthier and kinder. Sadly to a ‘low-information’ citizen it sounds more wholesome.
But Texas

The ceo ‘communicated’ just before the explosion that there was nothing they could do. I think he and the board of directors could have climbed atop the vessel that held the chemical and waited.

APOLOGIES… TOO LATE TO EDIT …
But that should say …

What would make us think that the calculations of the nuclear industry would be any better
** than the calculations of the CHEMICAL industry?**

The ceo ‘communicated’ just before the explosion that there was nothing they could do
I think he and the board of directors could have climbed atop the vessel that held the chemical and waited.

These industries endanger the lives of all citizens.
And Congress and our government are certainly going to continue
to look the other way and go on supporting these businesses.

Capitalism is suicidal.