Home | About | Donate

Two Weeks Before Midterms, Trump Attacks Democracy With 'One of the Most Naked Attempts to Promote Voter Suppression' in Modern Times

Two Weeks Before Midterms, Trump Attacks Democracy With 'One of the Most Naked Attempts to Promote Voter Suppression' in Modern Times

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After President Donald Trump fired off a hysterical tweet this weekend warning of mass "voter fraud"—a right-wing bogeyman for which there is virtually zero evidence—and threatening violators with severe punishment, the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law condemned the president for deploying Jim Crow-era scare tactics to suppress minority voter turnout just two weeks before the midterm elections.

1 Like

Democrats have even bigger problems suppressing votes. Take, for instance, the fact that voters notice that when Dems have power, they tinker at the margins:

5 Likes

If your face ain’t white, your vote ain’t right.

4 Likes

Trump is not “attacking democracy,” he’s manipulating plutocracy.

9 Likes

Unless you happen to be the “president” of the US. FU, Trump.

10 Likes

At the risk of stating the obvious, Pwesident Twump is a master of projection. Accuse—well, almost all of us—of “voter fraud” on an individual scale, while wholesale electoral fraud and disenfranchisement is committed by partisan state and local governments. Accuse—well, I’m not quite sure whom—of wanting to impose Sharia law on the citizenry, while preparing to replace our admittedly imperfect republic with a dominionist, ersatz-Christian theocracy.

Feel free to add your own examples. Remember that whenever Twump sounds an alarm, he may be—possibly unwittingly—announcing his plans for us all.

8 Likes

Worth the read:

https://truthout.org/articles/the-longest-goodbye-why-the-clintons-need-to-leave-the-stage/

First we remove from power the GOP, then the corporate Clintonistas and then all out organizing for a true left party. At our disposal will always be total non cooperation when we are collectively ready and any more acts of over/covert fascism should do the trick.

11 Likes

This tactic of accusing others of what he does blatantly is getting really tired.

13 Likes

Voter suppression…Typical low life stuff here. What I don’t understand is why Trumps’ job approval rating keeps getting higher. Are people in this country that ignorant?

4 Likes

Is Trump and GOP the only ones that could call the UN to monitor our voting? So glad for vote by mail but GOP would find some ways to rob the vote.

1 Like

Sure that would be ideal but who’s gonna do what you are suggesting without a full out Revolution?

2 Likes

Obvious Dumpf can do what ever he wants to us. He has plenty of sheep to back him along with the military. He’s going cross country revving his cult followers up. Just a matter of time before the big clash comes.

3 Likes

Gee, I wonder if it’s about the $$$ where the Clinton Road show is concerned.

Meanwhile, that blue wave just keeps on slippin’ away…

1 Like

I don’t know how ignorant they are but they are anti-intellectual. Trump as well as George W. Bush fit that image as did Reagan. For the Trump crowd it is more about gut feelings whatever that is. They certainly don’t care about truth. They just want their biases confirmed. They want to hear bad things about liberals, minorities, etc. and Trump feeds them as does Fox News and the other right wing news outlets.

5 Likes

Our local dyed in the wool GOP voters KNOW that the GOP serially lies. At least since the Dubya Regime was in power (probably longer) they have taken pride in how the GOP gets away with ever bigger lies. They don’t really care if they personally are negatively impacted by GOP lies as long as THEIR TRIBE is winning at any cost.

1 Like

You are full of bullshit and an enabler of fascism - just like those Brazilians on the self-described “left” (Glen Greenwald among them) who attacked Lula and Dilma for being “insufficiently left”. Now look at what they are facing…

2 Likes

If you actually read the story, you’ll see it notes that Hispanic voters aren’t monolithic, that an estimated 30% supported Trump in 2016. They are also more likely to support Republicans at the local level. It also indicates fear is a driver against registering—Hispanics have been “targeted” by negative advertising in certain states. This is in addition to apathy or a lack of direct contact with candidates.

So, you took a complex issue and inserted your easy-answer framework over it to come to your own preconception about why people might not vote. I do appreciate the article though.

3 Likes

Shooting the messenger with foul language is childish. Anyhoo…

The NYTimes is doing the reporting, and they find that your party just can’t seem to excite the voters they need.

You’re going to lose Senate seats…is that House takeover slipping away, too?

3 Likes

The upcoming election is not about, Republican or Democrat, it’s about sanity or insanity.

7 Likes

From the article:

“It’s the same as in Mexico — they promise people they’re going to help, and they don’t,”

“I may be working until I’m in my 70s, who knows, because of the way that America is going, regardless of whoever is running,” she said. “Whether it was Bush, whether it was Obama, and now that we’re here with Trump.”

1 Like