Home | About | Donate

Two Years After Oil Train Disaster, Profound Scars Remain in Lac-Mégantic

How many oil train derailments since the action to delay/re-examine the Keystone pipeline through the USA to the south? And not a single coal train wreck in the same amount of time. Coal trains go through Spokane ID almost hourly, from as far away as West Virginia. Message, do not cross the Koke brothers.

We all have heard of the oil derailments, but who here has heard of the coal train crashes? I question how stories get into the press.

► I guess coal doesn't explode and kill people

I does some other stuff when you burn it, like release mercury into the air, that finds its way into our lungs and into the bodies of fish. But that's hardly spectacular

Why no mention of who caused these accidents? Was the engineer tested for drugs or alcohol? The press used to always mention that development.

I think the reason is because there is no Engineer. These may be robot trains run by computer, as some subways are. They have no human at the switch to save the day. The cockamamie story on this one, if I remember, is that the Engineer stepped off for a minute to make a phone call and the train took off by itself.

Extremely fishy story.

When they use automation instead of people, the corps save money since they don't have to fund pensions or deal with Unions. They don't care how dangerous it is as long as they make increased profits. The Magraw Hill: Aviation Week and Space Technology is now advocating pilotless airliners!

I will never set foot on one.

I am always pleased when I read well-written articles like this on Common Dreams. It is succinct, grammatically sound, and does not contain hyperbole or lazy modifiers. It has an agenda and a viewpoint, but they are not crammed down the reader's throat (my pet peeve is the extremely common utilization of the phrase "tragic death"). This author knows the power of allowing facts to speak for themselves, and I thank her for allowing them to do so.