Home | About | Donate

U.S. Drops to 49th in World Press Freedom Rankings, Worst Since Obama Became President

U.S. Drops to 49th in World Press Freedom Rankings, Worst Since Obama Became President

Glenn Greenwald

Each year, Reporters Without Borders issues a worldwide ranking of nations based on the extent to which they protect or abridge press freedom. The group’s 2015 ranking was released this morning, and the United States is ranked 49th.

It is common knowledge that an abusive personality insists on complete control over his family and his world ... bush-darkest's behavior PROVES he is a serial abuser -- most especially of his own wife! And don't go getting in my face about proof -- his BEHAVIOR is all the proof that is needed!

Both US major political parties are unconscionable. They are accountable to no one. Few voters seem to mind. US Fascism prospers while citizens shop.

The problem with the Reporters without Borders rankings is that it only deals with actual physical actions against journalists by governments. However, in terms of range of discourse readily available to its citizens, the US has the most tightly controlled media in the world (ok, maybe a close second to China). But it is done much more cleverly - through firings and blacklisting, or threats of firings and blacklisting of journalist by private business owners. And while I guess that it is nice that the journalist is not being shot, a journalist fired and blacklisted is silenced every bit as effectively as being dead. but in the la-la land of capitalist so-called "free markets" this is regarded the epitome of "freedom". They will claim that the journalist "freely entered into a contract without "coercion" (they love that word) and if he doesn't like it he can write in obscurity in unknown corners of the internet (like Commondreams).

There is no better example of this as the case on the author of this article himself, Mr. Greenwald, who knows very well to limit his reporting of of free-speech-gagging to only that done by governments, not private wealthy individuals, or his boss - Ayn Randite billionaire Pierre Omidyar will send him looking for another way of earning a living.

So forget 49th place - I'd place the US at 149th place.