Home | About | Donate

U.S. Weapons Sales Are Drenched in Yemeni Blood

U.S. Weapons Sales Are Drenched in Yemeni Blood

Medea Benjamin

When Pope Francis visited the U.S. Congress in September 2015, he boldly posed a moral challenge to his American hosts, asking: “Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society?”

“Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money,” he solemnly concluded. “Money that is drenched in blood.”

In this case, it’s innocent Yemeni blood.

War crimes are being committed and the US is behind it all. The bombing of Yemin and the constant support of money and arms into Syria are at the behest of war criminals right here at home. It's so heart breaking.
Don't expect the neocons in congress will do anything and we know HRC is sweet on the Saudi's, they are very generous with the Clinton Foundation.
She is also planning more intervention in Syria so we can't stop the flow of arms to the rebels causing the biggest problems there. Israel and the Saudi's are two of the biggest financial contributors to ISIS, in hopes of toppling Assad.
The Saudi's are bombing Yemen, they say, to rid the country of Houthi's though the group is very small, they are Shia. Israel, Saudi's and the US like the Sunni's better so it's divide and conquer using the old Sunni, Shia, division. More money, more money, more money.
The US doesn't recognize international laws so who will stop this carnage?
Jill Stein 2016

America’s willingness to impose a policy of globalized terror, murder and destruction on millions of innocents abroad in order to further the political and economic interests of the 0.1% has been clearly and repeatedly demonstrated. It will be stopped because it must be stopped.

" The U.S. does not recognize International law."

Paul Craig Roberts agrees with you:

"Washington does not accept law, neither domestic or international as a constraint on its actions. Washington is the exceptional indispensable. No one else counts. No law, no Constitution, and no humane consideration has authority to constrain Washington's will. In its claims Washington surpasses that of the Third Reich."

Medea Benjamin is my hero and I don't want to nitpick this important article, but she listed McDonnell Douglas as a company pushing Obama to sell arms to Saudi Arabia, and that's an error. McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing in 1997 and the McDonnell Douglas name ceased to exist.

There ought to be a way to rescind a President or Supreme Court Justice when they violate decency, their own word (and campaign promises), or the international consensus on what constitutes LAW.

This is disgusting:

"The United Nations has said that Saudi air strikes on civilian targets likely constitute war crimes and calls the situation in Yemen a “catastrophe.”

"Despite this carnage, the Obama administration just announced an additional $1.15 billion in Saudi weapons sales."

I felt that same repugnance when Obama visited the nuclear bomb sites in Japan and while speaking generically about the need for the world to get past these sorts of weapons, he simultaneously allocated $1 trillion dollars (spread over the next decade) to UPGRADE the nation's nuclear weapons arsenal!

The latest insanity-which proves that not only white men speak with forked tongues--is that while Obama visits the devastation in Louisiana, itself so obviously the product of global warming, he just opened the Gulf of Mexico to the Black Gold rush (oil drilling leases)... in spite of the Maconda drilling catastrophe that wrought such impossible damage there!

In other words this is one dangerous huckster.

Today's Western world governments are run by those who make organized crime families look like The Disney Channel.

The Saudis want to PLAY with their war toys and the U.S. military sadists are all too ready to deliver them.

It's time for people to recognize that Defense Firms do NOT operate in the interests of U.S. citizens or citizens afar. There is a reason why war profiteering was once regarded as illegal and a crime.

Today, it's the ETHOS that runs much of our nation's foreign policy.

And the thing is, what IS done to others will eventually return to the host. Karmic blow back is inevitable.

I think it's obvious that the material in quotations came directly from Medea Benjamin's excellent article. Other than that, the words are my own.

Sorry. I didn't catch your drift. As others have pointed out, sarcasm and certain subtle inflections are not conveyed as intended in comment threads.

Did you ever read "The Devil's Chessboard" by David Talbot? The mentality embedded into the NSA from the likes of Allen Dulles remain as much its cornerstone as do actual cornerstones function as physical building foundations.

The double-dealing, spy-craft, false flags and every insidious endeavor under the sun have become part of this deep state structure... and ongoing.

The problem is that these behaviors have now fused themselves into our government turning its operations into the equivalent of those deployed by criminal cartels.

As Janine Wedel points out, the net impact of so much privatization of formerly government directed/managed functions is that these entities no longer hold any visible chain of command. That means there is no basis for accountability.

I don't think anyone was prepared for Obama playing Bush's hand in a manner that kept all the cons going. And that some Black leaders speak of "Obama's legacy" makes me want to barf.

No accountability.

Lies told often from high places.

A sycophantic press repeating them.

Supreme Court making it legal for the moneyed class to purchase politicians and lawmakers... to therefore own and control policy.

The Page and Gilens Study publishing the obvious results.

The Piketty Study proving where the MONEY (exorbitant sums used to pay off the banker thieves) went.

The wise words of Justice Brandeis: "That you can either have extreme concentrations of wealth OR democracy, but not both".... now actualized as if a prophecy.

The Earth dying in so many places with flooded cities, burning woodlands, long-dormant volcanoes being summoned to life like dragons in myth... and the leaders continue to play Montecarlo style card games with lives, lands, and human liberties.

And living in Florida where the same forces that unleashed the brain deformities blamed on Zika are about to do likewise here, to OUR water supply... turns me into Marvin Gaye!

"Made me wanna holler into the night..."

Let me see if I can find the tune:

Or maybe this one...

Three's a charm...

This was the tune intended, but anything by Marvin Gaye is THERAPY and medicine for the soul:

As long as his black daughters get to play on the lawn of a white house built by slaves, who cares how many children he slaughters across the globe. He's not a dangerous huckster; he's a war criminal--both directly and by proxy.

So maybe that makes the US the Fourth Reich.
Jim Marr's book "The Fourth Reich" makes that argument.