Home | About | Donate

UK Doctors Warn TTIP Means Certain Death for Public Healthcare

UK Doctors Warn TTIP Means Certain Death for Public Healthcare

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Doctors in the United Kingdom are warning that passage of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) will mean certain death for the country's public healthcare system, opening the door for privatization and lawsuits from the United States' for-profit medical industry.

In addition to devastating "public healthcare" TPP, TTIP and TISA governments attempting to negotiate the cost of drugs will be fined, forcing them to stop negotiating and follow the US Medicare model of drugs costing 50 to 100% more than they would if negotiation was allowed.

Doctors in the United Kingdom are warning that passage of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) will mean certain death for the country's public healthcare system, opening the door for privatization and lawsuits from the United States' for-profit medical industry.

That is no accident. Clearly that is one of the things that it was meant to do.

And if the TTIP allows corporations to kill off Britain's National Healthcare, what's to stop them from likewise suing to privatize Medicare fully in the USA?? Indeed, maybe that's the hidden battle plan to dismantle Medicare. And it will be the Democrat Obama who opened the door to this, ironically, with the full support of John Kennedy's daughter Caroline, who endorsed the fast track push with a public statement! JFK must be rolling in his grave in Arlington.

Every three years, as part of my job, I and my colleagues get a taste of the healthcare that the British take for granted. The doctor and nurses in the medical office in the federal building who give us our 3-year medical exams are employed by the HHS - Federal Occupational Health Agency. They exhibit a degree of thoroughness and competence that I don't see in the US's private-sector "primary care provider" offices (to non-USAns - similar to GP's or family doctors) where they are constrained by insurance rules and the corporate bosses over them, and unreasonable workloads and understaffing. Adequate staffing costs money and hurts profit, you see. A Brit or even a Canadian or Australian (where at least the insurance is publicly provided) probably would not believe how dysfunctional US healthcare is until they see it.

Another taste of what medicine can look like when doctors are civil servants directly serving the people can be seen in the British TV drama Doc Martin currently playing on US PBS stations. Yes it is fiction - but the depiction of his medical practice is close to reality.

Bingo. And what a perfect excuse for Mr Cameron or his successor.

Something that needs to be explained better is how the "rules" of the ISDS works. In short it means that if any change is introduced by a participating state a corporation (large enough to afford the millions required) can sue for damages if it affects its profits. The new courts or tribunals will assess the loss of profits, current and FUTURE. All participating states are guilty by default if they introduce any new legislation that harm companies profits. Hence not even new taxes can be introduced without hefty penalties ! For existing laws and regulations it is a little fussier for me, but in essence if one country allows open air mining with enormous amounts of dust polluting the air, any country that does not permit it can be sued as above. Same for shale oil extraction and introduction of (unmarked ?) GMO. The list is endless. The politicians that do not see what's going on must be hanging from some kind of invisible threads, trust everybody "on their side" or just be plain stupid /ignorant. In Austria the SME community has warned that small enterprises will be wiped out en masse. Google: Austrian smes against TTIP

For an in depth simplification of the treaty see David Malones excellent talk:
Google: youtube david malone ttip
(New user cannot put in the direct links but with the words above the items would be at or near top....)

Absolutely. All of the above, especially "hanging from some kind of invisible threads". I would like to suggest a fourth option:- I have witnessed what I call "wilful ignorance" in politicians, alternatively called burying their heads in the sand. You can lay something out very clearly, and it still wont register with them, if the facts are not convenient. They are able to block out facts that might ruin their careers if they acknowledged them.

For an in depth simplification of the treaty see David Malones excellent talk.:-

I can help. here is the link:-

I am glad to see the UK cares enough to be concerned about it's citizens. Here in the states we don't. See how the US corporations do not pay taxes. See corporate farms only care about bulk, but not nutrition or even taste. They don't get paid for healthy tasty food. The US citizen can forget about the pursuit of happiness. Here there is a false pretense of citizenry? Does voting count when there is only one candidate on the ballot? How about two parties, is that a real choice? Even worse is it fair when a judge decides the outcome of the race and a biased judge at that? How can they care when the deals that effect us are done without our participation.