Home | About | Donate

UK Readies for Massive Protest Against 'Austerity on Steroids'

UK Readies for Massive Protest Against 'Austerity on Steroids'

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

A massive and growing anti-austerity movement will take to the streets of London on Saturday, June 20, with demonstrators demanding "an alternative to austerity and to policies that only benefit those at the top."

The People vs the Banksters.

Excellent point. i think calling it "looting" works pretty well, but i'm open to whatever terminology works to effectively turn the tables in popular awareness.

How about some austerity for the looting class? No, they prefer profligacy, waste, excess. The last thing they genuinely believe in is a culture of austerity, restraint, humility.

We need to completely overturn their apple cart, and "austerity" the hell out of the bloated excess they believe to be theirs. Surely on some level, they are terrified of the obvious fate that awaits them. Fewer than 100 humans "own" OVER HALF of all wealth on the books, and their agents in government turn the screws on the rest of us. Not gonna last, and not for very much longer now.

Good for the Brits. Resistance is exactly what needs to happen.
But one wonders why they elected a government that is the polar opposite of the what the British people really want.....or did they?

I'm trying to imagine a similar march against austerity in the USA... and I can't.

If anything deserved big demonstrations in DC recently, the TPP did... and yet there were none. Indeed, most Americans would guess that the TPP is a new iPhone app before they'd guess it's the bipartisan legislation that will take their jobs. That's how successful the media blackout on the worst "free" trade bill in history has been.

America took a far smarter approach to implementing the austerity agenda, rolling it out slowly, from the bottom up. The key factor was the re-education of the American people concerning poverty and the poor. While this re-education process actually took place over a period of years, the final result was that poverty itself was redefined ads a a mere deviant "lifestyle choice" that must be dealt with very harshly. Pitting the middle class against the poor was vital. Today, even US liberals agree that our jobless poor and many of our unemployable are undeserving of the most basic human rights (per the UDHR) of food and shelter. When Reagan was first elected, launching the long campaign against our poor, the overall quality of life in the US was rated at #1. By the time Obama was elected, this had already plunged to #43, and we can no longer adequately compete in the modern world market. Of course, the inevitable has been happening. The rich are now doing to the middle class what the middle class already did to the poor. THIS is how to roll out the austerity agenda without risking a united people's push-back.

We could ask the same thing about Americans. The catch is, we have no idea what "the American people" want. We're profoundly divided by class, rich vs. middle class vs. the poor, each have very different perspectives and priorities.

We're FAR from that point in the US. We've been in a long era of middle class elitism. The theme of today's liberals: "Stand in Solidarity to protect the status quo of the bourgeoisie alone!" There's so much contempt for our poor that middle classers even put locks on their garbage cans to keep our desperately poor from finding a scrap of food.

Great video! I'd like to see what one from the USA might look like and to have it aired on a major MSM channel. As impossible to believe could happen, without an overtaking of the airwaves by the people, as a politician, and therefore public servant, actually serving the public instead of the 1%.
I wish them the best of success in continuing to organize and fight the power.

As well as CD I also subscribe to 10 or so other 'alternative' news websites and not one has mentioned this protest until now ... as a brit living in france I could have attended if I had known a week or so ago .... are 'alternative' news websites collaborating with the 1% to deny potential activists information with which they could get onto the streets instead of just reading about direct action after the event?!

Thank you for that take down of "Austerity".

It is something I used to rail about but admittedly kind of gave up on.

Sometimes I tire of your constant berating the middle class. If you haven't noticed, the same interests that have decimated the middle class in this country are the same forces that perpetuate poverty and steadily increase the numbers.

If I didn't sincerely try to give you the benefit of the doubt, I would think that your purpose here is to intentionally perpetuate divisions that do exist between those in the middle class and the poor.

Don't quite get why you never seem to focus attention on the 1% who actually have been pulling the strings for the last 40 years.

Middle class elitism? What, the middle class has power? Where have you been man?

By the time Obama was elected, this had already plunged to #43, and we can no longer adequately compete in the modern world market. Of course, the inevitable has been happening. The rich are now doing to the middle class what the middle class already did to the poor

That is some pretty insidious propaganda intentional or not that serves the monster of neoliberal economics while at the same time insinuating some bizarre narrative of "justice" against the middle class at the hands of this emergent fascism by corporate governance.

No, I'm relying on actual govt. stats, not opinion. Research "US quality of life" ratings.People do get very angry when opinions are contradicted, so I urge them to actually do the research, themselves. My opinion is not relevant, the data is.

I wasn't questioning that "overall quality of life rating" of 43. Not at all. It is the context that you put it in that I counter.

To all: Think back to the joyous expectations when President Obama was first elected. People seem to have expected that he would deliver rainbows and unicorns, and all would be well. Obama kept reminding people that this isn't how things work, that it would take years of hard work to reverse our economic problems, international conflicts, etc. He stressed that if the people wanted change, it would be necessary for them to get to their feet, organize, march, MAKE Congress listen. When we've tried, we found that we couldn't agree. We have different perspectives, different priorities.

It's regrettable that so many people get upset over pointing out such things as actual statistics that, if they would set aside their emotions for a minute, they can easily research for themselves. For example, just Google "US quality of life ratings."

That isn't relevant.I've been tired of hearing about war since the Vietnam years, and it doesn't matter -- wars continue. Ignoring or denying them won't make them stop. I'm curious, though: What is the middle class response to our poverty crisis? What is the solution?

I wasn't discussing war. Where was I discussing war? The problem I have with your meme – every time an article on "Austerity" arises, or every time an article highlights the historic economic disparity in this country – is that you ALWAYS make it about the middle class and distract attention from the culprits that actually hold the power.

i've long since stopped giving DHF the benefit of any doubt.

June 20