Home | About | Donate

UN Agency Decries 'Shocking Scale' of Attacks on Children in Conflict Zones

UN Agency Decries 'Shocking Scale' of Attacks on Children in Conflict Zones

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"Children are being targeted and exposed to attacks and brutal violence in their homes, schools, and playgrounds."

child in school in Yemen

Somewhere, a business executive is eating a juicy steak and drinking expensive wine paid for by the innocent dead kids his munitions blew to pieces.

Capitalism. Structural murder built upon greed.

Pentagonian cowards know that parents are distracted and kept busy when their children are starving, sick, injured or killed.

Pentagonian cowards learn such tactics at Annapolis, West Point, Harvard, Yale, Princeton and other important centers of higher education.

True! Also wars are legal murders of innocent men, women and children wrapped in a pretty flag and carrying the cross of the evangelical, religious right.

Right on. Exactly. Studies have shown that people living under challenging financial means or poverty do not have the cognitive “bandwidth” to make informed decisions.

We can be sure this fact is known to those in power who continue to push impoverishing repressive tax policy, diminishing educational opportunities and social safety net protections.

War pays and pays big.

Yes. Patriotism at the root of that foolishness. Everyone at some point (sooner than later) needs to read Tolstoy’s invectives against patriotism.

Yes, like many have said: patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels!

Your name may not matter, but your voice does!

In response to the findings in this report, every single one of us must add our voices to UNICEF’S, “which called on all parties to the conflicts in the nations described to ‘abide by their obligations under international law to immediately end violations against children and the targeting of civilian infrastructure, including schools and hospitals,’ while also demanding that states with influence over such parties make greater efforts to protect children in these regions.” strong textIf we don’t, we become a nation guilty of blatantly ignoring international law.strong text

I’m with you. We need to all add our voices, and actions where we can, to stop the slaughtering.

Makes me want to run for Congress and spend all my time monkeywrenching the MIC while holding up pictures of children’s bodies mutilated by profiteering.

If you run in Washington State, you’ve got my vote!

I lived in Northern Virginia from 1981 to 1988 and was involved in “The Ribbon Project,” that started in Kansas and ended up being a collection of fabric art panels collected from all over the United States. On August 4, 1985, we all gathered in D.C., held hands, and carried a 15-mile long Peace Ribbon that surrounded the government buildings, from the Capitol to the Pentagon in Washington D.C.

Here is a very brief summary from a Seminar Paper Presented to the Department of History at Bethel College in April 2010 by Victoria Janzen that presents an excellent history of the event; I encourage you to read the article linked below to get the whole story:

Early 1980s background: An environment of nuclear proliferation and the peace surge response.

The Ribbon Project was a protest against nuclear proliferation, active between the years 1982 and 1985. In its final form, a giant ribbon united thousands of smaller ribbon segments from around the country, which were placed around the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., on August 4, 1985. The initial goal was to create a mile-long piece of Ribbon. In its final form, The Ribbon formed a 15-mile long Peace Ribbon … that surrounded the government buildings, from the Capitol to the Pentagon, in Washington.

Factors that contributed to The Ribbon’s success in Kansas

Despite low initial expectations, The Ribbon attracted a huge following of women across the country who wanted to facilitate social change through this project. In total, Over 30,000 panels were received from the entire nation for display in Washington, D.C. on August 4, 1985. The national project’s initial goal was to create a mile-long piece of Ribbon.

Here are some examples of the pieces that made up the ribbon:

Thanks, joy. I’m diving into it to kick off the new year.

Used to live in WA state and miss it dearly.

Here’s to a new year and something you might want to check out diving into as well.

Gratitude: A Radical Approach to Life

Here are the first few paragraphs to entice you - there’s lots more here to learn from…

One surefire way to transform our lives is to steep ourselves in the power of gratitude. Not the gratitude of thank you notes and good manners. Not the gratitude that reacts, feels indebted, or is solicitous. That kind of “transactional” gratitude – while wonderful and what we have been trained to know – can be highly conditional, occasional, and fleeting. And it rarely feels like enough. The rose fades. The words fade. The moment passes, and we are often left wanting…

By way of contrast, there is a kind of gratitude that can permeate every moment and is lasting; one that precedes and suffuses everything. It is not only a “something good happened” gratitude, or “I got what I wanted” gratitude. It is an “I woke up again today” gratitude, and “I walked into this room already grateful” gratitude. It is a radical gratitude, with a “no matter what happens, I can still feel grateful for something” attitude.

This kind of radical gratitude invites us to experience our lives as living laboratories for feeling thankful, and “full” – encouraging us to lead with vulnerability, respect, generosity, and authenticity. In this way, we can learn to live not just with gratitude, but from it; from that deep well of well-being which never dries up. From this place, we easily give, receive, and ask for what is needed, all with heart, all of it gratefully.

Surely we all crave the ease, resilience, and joy that come from being grateful more of the time. Sometimes we taste it, and it makes our moments delicious. But being grateful more often is not particularly easy. If it was easy, we would probably already be doing it.

…experiences which grant us gratitude fly through our lives like shooting stars – thrilling us, but disappearing as quickly as they came.

https://gratefulness.org/blog/gratitude-radical-approach-life/?