Home | About | Donate

UN: Americans’ Right to Protest is in Grave Danger Under Trump

UN: Americans’ Right to Protest is in Grave Danger Under Trump

- Common Dreams staff

At least 19 U.S. states have introduced bills that attack the right to protest since Donald Trump's election as president, an "alarming and undemocratic" trend, U.N. human rights investigators said this week.

Maina Kiai and David Kaye, independent U.N. experts on freedom of peaceful assembly and expression respectively, are calling on lawmakers in the United States to stop the “alarming” trend of “undemocratic” anti-protest bills designed to criminalize or impede the rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and expression.

That is shameful for a nation, which once was a beacon of freedom

" people who “unlawfully” assemble after “having been lawfully warned to disperse.”

So police have the authority to interpret the laws and the constitution.

Here is another example.

The Bureau of Land Management in Colorado has proposed rules which would criminalize making "unreasonable noise" in a public place (such as a demonstration at a BLM office), or making a "coarse and obviously offensive utterance, gesture, or display" (giving BLM the finger). Further, "You must not engage in actions or behaviors that are intended to prevent or disrupt any lawful BLM meeting, procession, or gathering; or significantly obstruct or interfere with said meeting, procession, or gathering by physical action, verbal utterance, or any other means."

These actions can result in a $5,000 fine and a year in prison.

All the more reason to keep the protests going. They must be working.

Invest in PHFK (Pitchfork, Inc.). Should be ready to run!

This of course applies to liberals. Rednecks are still welcome to storm into BLM offices and threaten to shoot federal officials.

Also, since when did BLM ever care about protecting natural resources? Ever see a BLM reclamation site? Remember the 10,000 snow geese poisoned at their closed copper mine?

Must have forgotten how Obama shut down Occupy, on behalf of the banks!
Look forward, people! Gaslighting is so yesterday!

I predicted a long time ago ( so long ago that I was probably using windows 95) that since Amerika's foreign policies were overtly totalitarian, that it would be just a matter of time before Amerika's domestic policies would have to be overtly fascist also. Sorry to say, that with the current Administration I am being proven correct.

It is not foreign terrorists, that even though they may be bad dudes, that we have to fear... it is domestic terrorists!

Yes, and what I find sooooooo shameful is that so many Americans voted for the current malignant, narcissist! And the corrupt DNC is just as culpable! Bernie would have beaten Trump hands down, no doubt about it in my mind.

Yes, but does that apply to noxious redneck hunters on 3-4 wheelers that destroy dirt road/trails for their temporary boners?

Conservatives will give us "1984". Liberals would give us "Looking Backward".

Direct Online Democracy

When municipal-level vandals can be prosecuted as global terrorists just because they’re protesting, yeah, you bet your sweet ass our right to protest is in jeopardy.

FREE AMERICA

DIRECT DEMOCRACY

And not just here in the US:

"The United Kingdom’s draft Investigatory Powers bill could, if adopted in its present form, threaten the rights to freedoms of expression and association both inside and outside the country, a group of United Nations human rights experts warned."

Nationalistic induced fear /paranoia spreads worldwide easily.

(Of course, we are already have mass surveillance and with no rights regarding that surveillance.) New ISP privacy selling private info bill removes any sense of online privacy. Resist. Use TOR browser and be smarter. Use Protonmail.

TOR is so effective at presenting anonymity that I was banned from my 6 year Microsoft email account, as well as other online news sites. Like layers of an onion.:wink:

And Neil Gorsuch will find any and all such laws unreservedly constitutional.

What, no pride to show about 'Made in USA' steel products that Trump proposes? Miles and miles of pipe and precious wall, ships and barges to carry Alberta tar sands crude, a specific fuel for trans-oceanic ships, continental trucking and plastic wrap commerce. Have you no pride to take in those accomplishments?
(sarcasm).
My point otherwise is to question this type of increased/expanded industrial productivity, via expanding globalization, ultimately leaving dependent nations more vulnerable to any disruption.
CT: orchestrated disruption is key part of their final plan.

Surely they know if they take away our right to protest it will lead to violent revolt. Do they really think we are going to sit back and let them erase us? Give me a break.

Republicans hate us for our freedom. They hate America and American values. They overtly hate the Constitution and are slavering for a convention so they can rip it to shreds and re-write it to conform to 1930's Germany. Republicans are the biggest threat that the United States have ever faced. They are a domestic terrorist organization that must be destroyed before they destroy the rest of us and the world. Civilization IS made with "other people's" babies. Civilization IS made with compassion and understanding of the "other". Civilization IS made with charity to the poor. Civilization IS made with healthy and well-educated children. Civilization IS made with respect for the elderly. Civilization IS made with respect for knowledge.

Republicans are incapable of making civilization. They are the destroyers of civilization in their greed and compassionless, vicious, uneducated emptiness. They are the slave-holders of old come back from the grave to put an entire nation into indentured servitude. No community can long endure with this republican party in any position of power. Taking food from the mouths of children and house-bound elderly is just one small sign of the depths of greedy depravity to which this sham party has sunk. Chris Hedges has them pegged, and identifies the proper solution for the stain of republicans -- revolution. Personally, I think the North should secede, build a wall a few hundred miles north of the Mexican border, and form a new country devoid of republicans and with a national message that reminds us of the value of community and civilization.

"Legalizing" fascism, good job amerikkka! NOT!!!!

The old saw, " but the trains ran on time " seems to fit here. We're not Italy in the 1930s, quite yet, but the governing power's urge for " order " and a static normalcy in civil life does seems to fit a certain profile. Also, the emphasis on respectful discourse among elites about " the others "real life and death issues, should make everyone pause. Reactionary policy and state power plays like criminalizing dissent, almost never turn out well. But, they're always the first go-to tool in the elite's old tool bag, unfortunately. " Better to repress than to address ", right?
Coming out of a fierce recession and into a stagnant economic malaise, for young and older workers alike, the repressed and the left outs' demands for equal treatment and fairness is necessarily understandable. They are being sacrificed on the altar of a renegade and rigged political economy. Run by, and for, elites almost exclusively. And, they know the windows of response, redress and reform are being slammed shut in their faces. What did the elites expect? That the majority of the citizenry would just assume the fetal position after genuflecting to the PTB.