Home | About | Donate

UN Calls on US to 'Immediately Halt' Policy of Tearing Children Away From Parents

UN Calls on US to 'Immediately Halt' Policy of Tearing Children Away From Parents

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

The United Nations human rights office on Tuesday demanded that the Trump administration "immediately halt" its policy of tearing children away from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border, declaring that the practice "always constitutes a child rights violation."

"Children should never be detained for reasons related to their own or their parents' migration status. Detention is never in the best interests of the child."
—U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for
Human Rights

The UN call come at a time of demonstrations against the Trump administration’s policy of separating children from families and, in some cases, imprisoning young children. These actions are extremely important. Republicans, and Trump supporters, are very supportive of his immigration policies:

Much of the US population is still at a place where they can be swayed either way. The right is using fear, xenophobia, and racism, to build support for these inhumane practices. However,
progressives have an opportunity to get the majority of the US population to understand the reprehensible nature of the policy of separating young children from their families and, in some cases, imprisoning children. If progressives continue to articulate opposition to Trump’s inhumane practices and continue with public actions, they can, at least, forestall the majority of the public from coming view these inhumane practices as acceptable.

Yes, mostly in for-profit prisons paid for with tax dollars. I wonder if that would matter to Twitler’s base?

Many of Twitler’s base are probably warehoused in those for profit prisons.

More likely employed in them.

That too.

Christian Republican is an oxymoron.

It’s about time the United Nations did something about this deplorable violation of human rights. The children torn away from their parents will never get over it. These are human beings, not puppies!

What’s the difference between U.S. families separated by prison/jail versus undocumented parents who have also broken the law?

Senator Merkly visited two out of three facilities in TX. The third was a former Walmart, um sorry a Walmart converted into a prison. Merkly was denied entry.
UN condemnation is not enough to stop this insanity.

I’m interested that the UN has decided to cite the US for conduct violations. We need all the help we can get. I would like the UN to help with stopping war, with reducing high imprisonment levels, with promoting clean energy, …

Republican’s claim of Christianity is just pretense.

Their actions define their beliefs.

any comment yet from our earstwhile UN Ambassador Haley?

The mean girl? Nikki Haley? My best guess is that she toes the Trumplethinskin’s/Sessions racist refugee agenda, cuz she’s mean like that.