Home | About | Donate

UN Expert Touts Universal Basic Income as "Bold and Imaginative Solution' to Poverty

UN Expert Touts Universal Basic Income as "Bold and Imaginative Solution' to Poverty

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Amplifying the call for a universal basic income, a United Nations expert has presented a report describing the idea as "a bold and imaginative solution" at a time of growing economic insecurity.

Trust fund babies, whose income frequently derives from the sins of their forebears (such as slave trading and opium smuggling - see the Forbes Family, for instance), receive a guaranteed (more than) basic income without lifting a finger. Why shouldn't the rest of us?

UBI is neither "bold" nor "imaginative." It is a FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT that we must work and fight for.

Sure. If basic income were provided:
1.--longer life spans, because we know stress/inflammation = death/illness
2. A happier existence, showing that actually caring for the "general welfare" of the citizens involves a little thing called "INCOME"
3. When you lead a happier existence, you then become able go for what you want to do in life, instead of what you have to do in life. And between those 2 is a world of difference, which would help create a different world for us. Happier people are more creative, productive, inventive, to say the least.
4. Less depression = less alcohol and drug (mostly legal opiods these days) abuse = happier, healthier people.

What is cost of a much happier, healthier, and more creative--inventive---productive society? caring for your fellow humans --- and other living things. We might try that some day?

Anything that someone else has to give you is not a "basic human right"

lalalalala

"seemingly unstoppable growth in inequality" Oh it's stoppable alright, finding a politician (in the US) with the will to do so will not happen.

Expecting the same politicians that will not raise taxes on extreme wealth to come up with funding for a basic income is absurd. This is just more pablum for the masses -- or rather, the USofA.

European countries may in fact go with a basic income sooner or later, but then almost all have universal free at point of service healthcare, free college, free elder and childcare, etc. A basic income is the natural progression of a society that takes care of its own. Not so much in the USofA.

What do you mean? We gave it to them with our labor. They were supposed to give us our share. It's time we got some of it back. Just cause they have it held in their fat little uncallused fists shrilly declaring it's their's doesn't make it true.

According to all experiments in UBI nothing is gonna actually change. A majority of people who work now will continue working, slackers will just keep slacking and living on the dole. My hope is all whiners will remove themselves from the workforce, that way people who enjoy their work don't have to put up with their daily misery. I'm willing to pay some more taxes for that.

Good point. You should never work for free. I do volunteer from time to time but at my real job i get paid. You, know get "my share".

Want to see a leftie suddenly make a turn to the right? Tell them the poor would get UBI but they will not. Lol.

It's not really "free". In Germany for example, the individual tax rate is about 40% for people making more than 50k Euros. That is on top of the health tax (for the "free" health care), plus retirement and a few other things.

My point is, yes, we can get "free" healthcare in the US. As long as everyone pays for it. Obamacare attempted that with the health tax (oops penalty) but people figured out it's cheaper to pay the penalty than buy insurance. You know, everyone wants "single payer", as long as they are not the payer.

Obviously it is not free any fool knows that. Ask the Germans or Canadians if they want our system of healthcare - they do not.

The same with single payer, the reason we won't get there is because most Americans have what they consider better healthcare provided by their employer, and yes in most instances it is entirely "free" of cost to the employee. Mine was. Yes, everyone knows it is a cost to the employer (and ultimately the employee in lower wages or other benefits, like someone earning $250k/yr cares). The higher the salary the better the health care plan that is usually offered, as a perk.

As for taxes, so what. You don't see Germans in the street protesting over it, nor Canadians either. Europeans are apparently more advanced than Americans, they feel it serves the whole of society to treat everyone fairly by providing good healthcare for everyone from the cradle to the grave. Besides that their income, after taxes, doesn't go to overpriced tuition, child or eldercare, or extremely high deductibles, premiums or co-pays for health insurance providers. So what to do with what's left? Nice home, nice cars and oh yeah, most Europeans travel 6+ weeks (or more) of the year, that is, they vacation (paid by their employer). Something few in this country have the means to do.

not enough money but ,WAIT! we do have trillions to bomb and kill innocents around the world. You know , National Security . Salute the flag and we thank you for your service.

Hello Andrea Germanos and Everyone, The 'Murica seems HELL BENT/BOUND to enter the HEART OF DARKNESS. While there the return path will be lost and we will be trapped there FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! I'm nut sure whether this will help or hinder the rest of the planet. My hope is that it will help the rest of the planet.

Hello Wereaflea, Nice Alice through the Looking Glass Logic! It says up front that it is UINVERSAL! In case you don't understand the concept try a dictionary! I'm waiting. While you are checking this out I will complete UBI. Universal Basic Income. That minimum needed to exist on the planet without worrying about the necessities of life!

A sense of humor is believed to be essential to life.

You'd be surprised.

Personally i don't have problems with taxpayer funded stuff. I'll have to cut down on some things as i pay for it but i'll be fine. Had free healthcare when i lived in Canada. It was more or less on par with what i have now.

You have point about taxes. If you are born into that it's no biggie. Now if you used to have a certain annual income and that suddenly goes down by 30% it's gonna hurt at the beginning.

Go check the concept again... There is no "labor" requirement for the basic income.

An UBI may be the only answer to loss of jobs by automation.

If the cost of living is higher or lower in different states, should each state have a different UBI? For example, to rent a two bedroom house the average minimum wage has to be about $31/hr in California whereas it has to be about $14/hr in Montana. The UBI in California must be higher to provide the same house as in Montana. How would this affect emigration from state to state? Would we have people moving to states with a higher UBI?

Other questions are:

Would instituting an UBI cause immigration to soar, fueling the fire?

If every member of a family gets an UBI, would that be an incentive to have bigger families, adding environmental burdens to the country?

Where would the money for an UBI come from? Republicans are cutting taxes for the rich. And cutting the gargantuan Pentagon budget to pay for an UBI is politically taboo.

These and other questions can be best answered in referendums instead of by politicians and their Big Money donors.

Direct Democracy

UN Expert Touts Universal Basic Income as “Bold and Imaginative Solution’ to Poverty

It seems pretty much like mundane common sense to me. What's more important than the health and happiness of our fellow humans?