Home | About | Donate

UN Peacekeeping Has a Sexual Abuse Problem

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/12/un-peacekeeping-has-sexual-abuse-problem

Thanks for highlighting this under-reported abuse. And, it’s not just the UN. Similar abuse has been reported by other international development groups and relief agencies. As climate disasters mount and refugees increase, these human rights violations are likely to escalate.

Abuse of civilians, sexual and otherwise, has been a component of every occupation, war and displacement throughout human history.

Sadly the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) sanitized these abuses when the media became embedded with the military during the 1990 Gulf War, redefining these travesties as “collateral” damage and using other euphemisms that got the voters in line to support endless wars that assure endless revenue for the MIMIC.

It is a terrible matter - indeed - but I wonder that the rape and abuse was only of women and girls. When I was teaching in Japan one of my Okinawan university students told me of US military men stationed on the main island preying on local boys. And other reports of wars and so forth in various Central African countries speak of terrible injuries on young men and boys sexually abused by militias - and other military presences. I would not think that UN peace-keepers in Haiti were immune from such exploitation.