Home | About | Donate

UN Poised To Say Assange Unlawfully Detained, But Will He Go Free?

Well UN, got teeth?

Cameron is already saying the UK will ignore the finding if it goes against them as Assange is not being unlawfully imprisoned. He chose to enter the embassy. Somehow not allowing him to leave to completely assume his sanctuary in Ecuador without risk of arrest is not a violation of his human rights. Whatever happens, I really hope Assange avoids arrest. He will never get a fair trial in the US, which is where all this has been heading from Day One.

When these hypocrites mention "law" it makes we want to puke. We have one powerful and criminal rogue state pressuring Sweden to forward a patently bogus charge, and its co-conspirator in war crimes invokes "law" to help them silence a truth teller.

It does not matter if the UN has teeth or not, Great Britain will ignore anything coming from the UN anyway.

Sweden talking about rape charges is hilarious, since all the rapes occurring there are pushed under the rug.

Assange embarrassed the Masters of the Universe and will be hounded to death for it.

And speaking of, it's amazing how someone like Hillary can still be treated as respectable when the Wikileaks diplomatic cables show her (among other things) orchestrating the bizarre theft of DNA samples from UN personnel, evidently for purposes of blackmailing key UN figures into voting in matters of war and peace the way America wants.

It's truly incredible the amount of State corruption the corporate media is willing and able to sweep under the rug.

like so many others, i guess, my first knowledge of wilkileaks and jullian assange was watching the very disturbing video of an american apatche helicopter attacking civilians in the streets of bagdad. what we saw and heard in that video was the crime of murder. of course, the people of iraq knew from eye witness reports what happened that day. military and political spokespersons use the flimsy excuse that revelations from wikileaks "place american lives in danger" yet can offer not even one bit of collaborating proof. we can only conclude that the enemy to keep in the dark must be the citizens of the united states. when this video came across his desk, private manning first went through proper chain of command channels to report a crime committed by the apatche crew, but found that keeping up the "good guy" pretense outranked the truth.

wikileaks exhibits the true meaning of the fourth estate whose job is to keep the public aware and informed and to challenge the military and political "authorities" whenever they wish to hide the facts. the apatche crew should have been the ones charged with a crime, but instead manning was tried and convicted~for the crime of caring.

In a statement posted Thursday on the WikiLeaks Twitter account, Assange said: "Should the U.N. announce tomorrow that I have lost my case against the United Kingdom and Sweden, I shall exit the embassy at noon on Friday to accept arrest by British police as there is no meaningful prospect of further appeal."

"However," he continued, "should I prevail and the state parties be found to have acted unlawfully, I expect the immediate return of my passport and the termination of further attempts to arrest me."

i wish you the very best, julian assange! you have suffered too much for being a man who stands strong for truth and justice. :slightly_smiling:

The way I see it is that this is a historically important benchmark regardless of what happens next. Assange has cleverly used the existing systems, rules, and establishments to demonstrate and put to test their hypocrisy or weaknesses and/or strengths. This is in the larger view more important then his personal fate. As either way, whatever happens next, whether they release him or not, the British and Swedish are already publicly embarrassed just the same by their own standards and institutions. I can't wait to see phase II when Assange starts asking for reparations.

'Bout time! And the timing will work! Many of the American electorate are FINALLY waking-up from their Rip Van Winkle styled sleep-walking through the last 7 decades of creeping US Congressional/military/wall street fascism. This unprecedented current political season is serving a restorative purpose FINALLY! lol

The unveiling of the REAL US 2-party, corporate duopoly brought on by BERNIE SANDERS!! Why will Julian will go free!? For the first time in a long time, corporate media has been forced to tell the TRUTH! A first for many - for a long time! Many formerly uninformed and mis-informed citizens, especially the millennials and those younger, see the Injustices of: Climate Chaos, "All Lives Matter When Black Lives Matter", The US Empire surveillance infrastructure being corporately privatized etc, and so now we have Julian, still in detention FOR TELLING THE TRUTH! AHG! YEOW! UHHHH.....

The persecution/prosecutions of whistle-blowers and leakers of info of what they are doing in our name, by the US government, especially under the Obama Administration. is central to further empowerment of global corporate fascism and the international war-machine/MICC endless for-profit wars.

Beside direction from Prez Obama, the repression and spying activities under his admn were effected and ordered by now prez candidate Hillary Clinton, up to her neck in the crimes and subversion of democracy, a shill profiting from global domination by corporate entities and endless war!

"Hillary Clinton ordered American officials to spy on high ranking UN diplomats, including British representatives.
Top secret cables revealed that Mrs Clinton, the Secretary of State, even ordered diplomats to obtain DNA data – including iris scans and fingerprints - as well as credit card and frequent flier numbers."
Continuation of the slide toward global fascism must not be tolerated or furthered by nomination/election of one of the prime players/agents!
RepubliCons are also guilty of complicity/collusion (and gross stupidity/ignorance) with the undermining of our national interests and government Of, By and FOR the People!

https://www.propublica.org/special/sealing-loose-lips-charting-obamas-crackdown-on-national-security-leaks

The question is will the US and its proxy state Britain adhere to the advice of the UN.
Why would anyone think these two nations, imbued with imperialist extremism care about the recommendation from the UN that didn't come from them.

Emphiro, didn't mean my comment to be as a reply to you, it was intended to be a new post. Your comments are excellent by the way.

Also, good coverage on Democracy Now today on this

No worries mate, it's all good! Thank you.

Once more I will disagree with posters re: Assange. His criminal
history began when he was a resident in his home country:OZ.
He arrogantly chose to run from Sweden when all that was
required was he answer questions about the claims brought
against him. His behavior since has been his choice as it was
to hide out in the Ecuadoran embassy when he lost the cases
affluent British citizens provided for him to continue to avoid
compliance with law he chose to avoid.

Most posters typically believe one should be responsible for
their personal choices, but where Assange is concerned that
attitude has reversed. Did he provide a valid service with
the Wikileaks releases about actions made by a variety
of international governments acting against the rules of combat
in a war many considered illegal? That in and of itself is questionable,
but in the it is not he who's in any way paid the price for those
actions. If anyone should be free it is his source who he has
done nothing for as she sits in a US military prison. Free
Chelsea Manning and let Assange make his choice one more

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Not really, considering that mainstream media is owned and governed by those who are literally devoid of empathy--humanity. The quintessential disability. Repulsive, distressing . . . but not surprising.
Regards-

I'd like to see the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention rule against the US for its illegal detention and torture of prisoners in Guantanamo.