Home | About | Donate

UN Warns New Wave of Locust Swarms Threatens Food Security of Millions in East Africa

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/16/un-warns-new-wave-locust-swarms-threatens-food-security-millions-east-africa

3 Likes

Damage to crops caused by locusts has been historically offset worlwide by eating them, they are very nutritious and ancient wisdom says eat when the eating is good.
Locusts are the only kosher insect.
Locust are also halal.
Before1920, locust supplied 70% of the protein in Saudi Arabia, or Arabia as it was known then.
Millions would get caught and die in the Great Salt Lake and wash to shore where Native Americans would dine on the pre-salted delicacy.
But now that we fight nature with poison we are at the mercy of the poisoners to balance historic interdepedant life cycles , what could go wrong?
-Diabetes
-Kidney damage
-Liver damage
-Heart damage
-Osteoporosis
-Brain Clouds
are at least some of the benefits of the New-And-Improved-Modern program of spraying millions of profit soaked dollars worth of neurotoxins+ into the air we like to breathe to eradicate a form of life that is actually thriving in the Anthropocene.
Nah, just kidding, Brain Clouds aren’t real, that’s from an old Tom Hanks movie, I just think it sounds funny. Different kind of funny is the clever monkey that played with fire and thought it knew how to control it.

8 Likes

I agree with eating locusts if they aren’t poisoned, but there are surely a lot of them!!!

Wonder if some kind of trap could catch them and process them into fertilizer, animal food – or something else useful.

3 Likes

Googlit, throughout human history.

Hi evolver:
Are any agencies like from the UN, able to supply the farmers with tent -like instant greenhouses so that the food can be protected and locusts can’t get in? Are there plastic , or glass greenhouses too that could protect from the locusts?

1 Like

There are plenty of things the UN could provide, including food, if they had the money for it. Unfortunately, their budget is controlled by rich nations who are only interested in what they can extract from Africa, not what they can do to help.

7 Likes

137,000 square miles or somesuch to cover would likely be worse in other ways, not to mention more than the contributors poor hearts could bare.

1 Like

sigh-----evolver:
The poor die so the rich nations can have more?
Maybe Cuba will help somehow as they send doctors to other nations—not armies. There must be farmers in other lands that could help----yes?
Well—how about churches… can you help , or how about even gardening centers?

I saw a picture of an African poor child who looked as if he was ready to fall over----there was a vulture standing behind him-----that was the worst picture I’ve ever seen. Money for wars----but none for people? Reigions and nations seem to fall from grace in equal ways.

3 Likes

I salute the light in your eyes stardustIBID, where the universe dwells.
We are all poor now in the essentials of what our DNA asks of the environment to thrive. Our friends closer to nature suffer inversely to fault now but I suspect that soon they will show us a far superior technology, how to live without money.

6 Likes

If only we could push those locusts north. Egypt, Israel, and perhaps Saudi Arabia.
Of course then we would then send them all the food their little hearts desired.

3 Likes

You get my “CD” first laugh of the day award. Especially the bit about the monkeys.
The whole planet is poisoned.

3 Likes

And to prove my point:

~https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/17/dark-waters-pfas-ticking-chemical-time-bomb-in-your-blood

2 Likes

I immediately thought the same. Fried grasshoppers are a gourmet item that could be exported.

4 Likes

That’s a great meal, but cooking locusts will not remove literally billions of them from the sky, or protect crops. And when the crops fail, there won’t be enough locusts to make a dent in the starvation.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jh1481J6qw

( Man Quits Job in Finance to Grow Food and Develop Permaculture Food Forest )
( From Finance to Farmer )

Andrew Martin once worked in the finance industry in Australia, but after learning about the true state of the world as peak oil and climate change begin to take effect, he knew he had to leave that unsustainable lifestyle behind and do something useful to help heal the earth and to be more resilient in the face of change. He and his wife Beth moved to New Zealand, where they’re in the process of turning green-desert farmland into a productive and bountiful permaculture forest of food.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VZSJKbzyMc
( Man Spends 30 Years Turning Degraded Land into Massive Forest)
– Fools & Dreamers (Full Documentary)

The incredible story of how degraded gorse-infested farmland has been regenerated back into beautiful New Zealand native forest over the course of 30 years…

Fools & Dreamers: Regenerating a Native Forest is a 30-minute documentary about Hinewai Nature Reserve, on New Zealand’s Banks Peninsula, and its kaitiaki/manager of 30 years, botanist Hugh Wilson.

3 Likes

Hi Elcil: : )
This is the best news I’ve heard all day , and oh------the POSSIBILITIES!

2 Likes

Thanks for the posts and links. We need a couple of billion of us to work on such projects, practicing ecology and agroecology, rewilding nature and producing food in ways that promote ecology and biodiversity.

2 Likes