Home | About | Donate

Unable to Come Up with Any Laws Wielding Control Over a Man's Body, Kavanaugh Dismisses Pro-Choice Movement as One Based in 'Feelings'

And not one of those things you’ve mentioned have anything to do with my original question: Name one law applying to a penis that is akin to controlling women by making abortions illegal. You haven’t answered it because you can’t.

Wow…now that’s a blast from the past! I interviewed Flo Kennedy as a young reporter in Indianapolis during the push for the Equal Rights Amendment. She was bigger than life. In one week I interviewed both Phylis Schlafly and Flo Kennedy. Schlafly was the arch conservative pushing STOP ERA. She argued that the ERA would take away gender-specific privileges enjoyed by women, including “dependent wife” benefits under social security, separate restrooms for males and females, and exemption from the selective service. Wa-a-a-ay on the other side was Flo Kennedy who founded COYOTE…Call Off Your Old Tired Ethics…a hookers union organization. She said unionizing sex work would allow women, not pimps or organized crime, to control their income. To Flo it wasn’t about morals, it was about ecomomics. She was sumthin, that Flo.

When is it a baby? Let’s see, before an ‘egg’ is fertilized, it sits on the wall of the uterus, where it remains if fertilized. If not fertilized, it flushes out during menstruation. Is it a baby then? Are women killing babies every period? Is it a baby right after the sperm enters it? It is a microscopic cellular organism sitting attached to a uterine wall. This part of the woman’s body is no different than her liver, kidneys, heart, or lungs. It is part of ‘HER’. The ‘egg’ is not yet a ‘human’ baby. Selection of life happens constantly in mammals and the female mammal will have many spontaneous abortions, meaning an egg that may have been fertilized but flushes out on its own. People need to learn science and understand the difference between the various stages of an ‘egg’ before it becomes a fetus, which is a PART OF THE WOMAN’S BODY, and a human being. I would no more likely allow you or anyone to make legislation about when or how my heart beats than I would allow you to make determinations about what goes into or out of my uterus.

Bizarre. Are you suggesting that laws against rape are directed against mens bodies? Are you feeling your rights infringed upon?

Typo or smoking pun? Either way it raises a salient point.

The draft was ended even before Roe was decided. What was imposed upon my body was a bad haircut.

Here is a good time to revisit the hypothetical question that shuts down just about any anti-choice argument-- by writer Patrick S. Tomlinson:

1. You’re in a fertility clinic. (Why isn’t important.) The fire alarm goes off. You run for the exit. As you run down this hallway, you hear a child screaming from behind a door. You throw open the door and find a five-year-old child crying for help in one corner of the room.

2. In the other corner, you spot a frozen container labeled “1000 Viable Human Embryos.” The smoke is rising. You start to choke. You know you can grab one or the other, but not both before you succumb to smoke inhalation and die, saving no one.

3. Do you:
    A) save the child ?
    B) save the thousand embryos ?
    C) do nothing and you all die ?

So do you save the thousand frozen embryos or the five year old child from a burning building, if you can only save one? (see the complete scenario I posted below)

Photo caption:

“Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) pointedly asked Judge Brett Kavanaugh whether he could think of any laws that govern a man’s control over his own body, as anti-choice laws in a number of states bar women from controlling their own reproductive systems.”

From what I saw in the video, Harris did not include the second part of that.

If that is what she was implying, the first question I’d have is whether that is the case. Do these laws apply specifically and exclusively to women? Do they not apply to minors? Do they not apply to trans-men?

And do laws restricting what procedures medical professionals may perform on a fetus (which is not part of the reproductive system) constitute a bar on people controlling their own reproductive system?

Even if we decide that trans-men are not “real” men, and control of medical procedures amounts to control over women’s reproductive system, this still seems like a peculiar line of questioning. Presumably, Harris is concerned with protecting the Roe decision, and later decisions which stem from it. But those decisions effectively affirm there are legitimate state interests in regulating abortion, even to the point of prohibiting elective late term abortions. So in her zeal to protect Roe, has Harris also rejected the principles enshrined in it?

Excellent points! I would add treason to your list of criticisms!

H Trog, she was probably thinking about how SAVITA died in Ireland…a supposed fetal heartbeat is not a person… but respect was given to that-----instead of the woman, Savita.

Don’t leave out the pro-choice Republicans. You hate them with all your heart too, right?

Just curious, how does deep hatred feel?

http://www.gopchoice.org/

Brainwashing?..hmmm Cerebracide…rationacide…

You’re comparing male circumcision to a possibly forcible rape induced pregnancy, 9 months of gestation, onerous childbirth, decades of childrearing often alone with inadequate funds for basic necessities, doctors, education? Get a clue!..Often negatively affecting various and other vital organs in female bodies for a lifetime. And death which many women still die of in childbirth.

You are sooooo far off the point here and you took up soooo much space to say it. Sounds like mansplaining or even a woman who wannabee a man 'splaining. Give us a break! This is a serious life and death women’s rights issue!

I think I’m right in stating that ED (male) prescriptions are covered under medicare and insurance generally while companies like hobby lobby are exempt from offering insurance for contraception,et al. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Because he had none. Reasonable questions should not put a reasonable person under duress.

Learn more about fetal biology.

So you think it’s okey to command women to birth babies. And there is no draft. Keep up.

So you feel she was ‘probably’ asking Kavanaugh a question about laws in any country? Why would she be doing that in a confirmation hearing for a U.S. Supreme Court nominee?

(And from what I’ve heard, abortions to save the life of the carrier were legal in Ireland at the time of Savita’s death, and the doctor at the inquest testified that she would have performed the abortion if she’d had the results of the blood work which were not reviewed for a full day.)