Home | About | Donate

'Unconscionable': New Federal Analysis Paves Way for Arctic Plunder

'Unconscionable': New Federal Analysis Paves Way for Arctic Plunder

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

The federal government on Thursday issued an updated assessment on fossil fuel activity in the Chukchi Sea that conservation groups fear paves the way for an Arctic disaster.

Also, the Tar Sands corporate people are exploring the unconscionable possibility of shipping their filthy oil north through Alaska. As the Alaska State government is in the pocket of big oil. And if Obama vetoes the XL pipeline they are working on a plan "B".

I'm sitting in a community college right now.... and I have to wonder how many of these students know how much oil it takes to run the school.... bring the food to this dining hall to make the tables... to make the books to make the lap tops...(like this one).... etc.... there is no way we can win this battle with the oil companies, unless people awaken from their stupor... I was in one till about maybe 8 years ago or more...
it is inconceivable to most people that we are at a cross roads.... no we are on the Niagara River...We are explorers and do not know this river) we are floating down the middle, feeling excited and adventurous about this massive river ...we know we should stay close to shore to be safe but... we feel like the world is ours... moving so fast and free.... free....freee..... "What's that noise? Sounds like roaring?....It's getting really loud, maybe we should get to shore?.... It's what?.... Falls, you say?.... Row! Row! Row this boat ashore!!! .... Too late? ... No it can't be... look we have a ways to ggggggoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!"
Wow, No we didn't!!!! Tttooooo llllaaaatteeee!!!!
This is what I heard on NPR the other day.... an metaphor for our climate predicament..... Once you hear the roar of the falls.... you're already dead.....

i guess "reply" means "comment"?

Makes me think. Jewell was CEO of REI. Shame on her.

Drilling ANYWHERE ought not be permitted until a complete oil spill clean-up plan has been approved by a (now nonexistent) Commission comprised of members of the oil industry, representatives of organizations such as Sierra Club World Wildlife Fund, other interested organizations (qualifications to be determined) and a non-biased arbitration master or team. Further the drilling may not commence until the drilling company, their stockholders and executives post both corporate and personal clean-up bond -- preferably open-ended -- that is sufficient to cover all contingencies. Liabilities accrued under the provisions of said bond may NOT be dissolved by the bankruptcy of either the corporations or any individuals.

And good luck getting this through our Corporate America-controlled Congress!!

As a former resident of Alaska I deeply resent Ms. Jewell's statement that the exploitation of Alaska resources is part of our "energy portfolio". That reckless disregard for the implications of drilling in the Arctic is, indeed, unconscionable. Clearly, our government is under the thumb of Big Energy and Obama has shown his real intent with a succession of bad nominations and appointments. While he may veto the XL he approves vast new areas off the Eastern Seaboard and elsewhere. To my mind, he is the ultimate hypocrite.

High tech outdoor clothes and gear is made almost exclusively from petrocemicals.

You mean schools and hospitals and all of us use petrochemicals? That our entire civilization is now based on it?
Thank you for your honesty.

Where Did The White Man Go Wrong

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official, 'You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done.'

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued, 'Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?'

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied. 'When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex.'

Then the chief leaned back and smiled. 'Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.'