Home | About | Donate

Under Cloak of Night, NC Republicans Attempt 'Stunning' Power Grab

Under Cloak of Night, NC Republicans Attempt 'Stunning' Power Grab

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

In what is being described as "an unprecedented, shameful, and cowardly power grab," members of North Carolina's Republican-led General Assembly late Wednesday took advantage of a special session called ostensibly to help victims of recent flooding and forest fires to file dozens of bills aimed at crippling incoming Democratic Governor Roy Cooper.

Will the citizens of NC have the courage to do something substantial about this?

America, it was nice knowing you, it's not me it's you. I hope we can come to an understanding, I don't even know who you are anymore, maybe you need to find out who you are, just don't expect me to come along for the ride. Check in from time to time and let me know how you're doing. Be good, and remember the good times we shared...

The repugniCANTS on local, municipal, county, state, and federal levels are out of control in their "power grabs"...they are absolutely and demonstrably power hungry and practice a scorched-earth approach to implementing their agendas nationwide all the while marching in lock-step and spouting their scripted rhetoric masked in dog whistles and misnomers (what next, will they all be wearing jack boots?)...NC GOP is a particularly vile and vicious group of megalomaniacal oligarchs. They take their lead from all the recess appointments and secret agendas pushed through during GWB's reign.

Care and concern for the tragic and devastating consequences of their hubris on their constituents (and all people/life) are completely absent. Money and power and money and power...nothing and no one else matters in their alternative worlds.

This is not new. Reactionary white politicians in the south after the Civil War thwarted the intent of emancipation and progress and brought about Jim Crow which lasted almost 100 years. They would stall and filibuster on anything that was progressive or advanced the nation. Just like these people don't seem to care about the unnecessary loss of life of our young people and the citizens of those countries in Iraq and Afghanistan, those who brought about Jim Crow seemed to care less about the tremendous loss of life that was expended to preserve the union and bring about freedom and opportunity for African-americans. Oh, I guess they did honor their "so noble" fighters of the confederacy. It was a lost cause but they held the nation hostage for another 100 years. They are despicable, selfish people and here they are again in the flesh.

Reactionaries have long held power in The South. But North Carolina has traditionally been known for its moderation. Well that ain't the way it is now with these Republican extremists in the legislature in power.

They and their overlord, Art Pope, only know about wielding ideological power. They know nothing of what is good for the state. Amazing what these absolutely dishonest jackals will pull.

2017 Elections with redrawn districts - the next opportunity to right the state by ending the reign of the right wingers.

Excellent comment! Thank you.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels…upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless [there is fairness, justice, and the basic practice of democracy], the machine will be prevented from working at all!
- Mario Savio (FSM, 1964) w/ [my word changes]

Like this post- would love to hear a combat soldier's or vet's take on it.

Maybe the South should secede and have its own constitution- oh wait they would want another civil war.

I doubt it- the South was defeated over 150 years ago,

I been tellin' y'all: chuck the Clintonista Clan and The Old Confederacy. We could actually start to build a country our mothers would be proud of. And, they wouldn't have to worry, and wonder so much, which federal processing facility we've been move to.:wink:

WHAT CAN BE DONE? A petition, demonstrations, walkouts at schools, of course, but what else, because these maliciously clever politicians will just laugh. I wonder if the Democrats and the progressive groups will have the courage to be REALLY angry and REALLY committed to a fight. The left and center left tend to fold if not cave, so what now???

Time is an enemy of the repubs. They gave to make their dictatorial power grab quickly. So anything that shuts down (even temporatily) or delays is an effective tactic.

These things they are passing are being done with such haste and lack of deliberation that there is a rgood chance they will be overturned in court.

The courts have ordered the state to redraw the illegal districts and hold elections again in 2017. This is happening within people's memorues so therr is a good chance to get rid of many of these cowards even if redistricting is not fully fixed. This issue could go to the supreme court so there will ve a need for Dems in the Senate to clog up any Trump pick for Supreme Court for months.

Beyond that, which it could come to, there will be a need for mass resistance actions, walkouts, boycotts, and takeovers.

Counties, cities, and other communities may have to exert local power, assert local rights (and the rights of nature), and act in opposition to anything the state leg enacts.

Yes, with large organization on resistance to the status quo.

Where's Terry Sanford when you need him?

I doubt it. Plantation mentality.

Many are still angry about the civil war down South- just waiting for them to grab their muskets.

Indiana is always first. Though Indiana is gerrymandered to prevent any democrats being elected, Glenda Ritz was elect as Superintendent of Education. Voters were mad at their taxes being given to the Catholic Church schools in order to defund Public Education and funnel money to Charter and Private religious schools. As soon as she was elected.the Indiana Legislature, at the behest of Mike Pence, stripped the office of Superintendent of Education of any powers to effect changes.
The Koch Brothers appear to want a one party rule. Republicans appear to want full control over America, to form America into their image. Puritan.

Actually not first time this is done. Apparently Democrats have done this also in the past. This is bad;but neither party should do this. See discussion of this in American Conservative article by Rod Dreher where he also castigates the GOP..

One of the comments discuses past practice in NC.