Home | About | Donate

Unfair Food Pricing Is Killing Family Farms and Regenerative Farming

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/04/unfair-food-pricing-killing-family-farms-and-regenerative-farming

These anti-competative and monopolistic farm bills will continue until we get a real Green New Deal and FDR’s updated New Deal 2.0 for the 21st Century.
I appreciate the compare/contrast between Sen. Sanders and Sen. Warren, as well. Obviously, there’s more " than a dime’s worth of difference " in farm policy prescriptions to notice there, too.
The Democratic Party increasingly reveals itself to be a poor foundation for building a level playing field for returning some equity/fairness among the lower 90% of Americans and the upper 10%. The bait and switch bamboozle on some domestic and foreign policy issues continue to run deep in them, unfortunately.

2 Likes

“Shoppers pay more, and a shrinking portion of what they pay goes to farmers”. So true, and that extra the shopper pays goes to the middleman, who provide very little for the huge profits they make on the backs of farmers.
All farm bills since the 1960’s has favored corporate farms over the small family farm, nothing will change until a complete house cleaning at USDA is accomplished. This will also bring back integrity to the organic program, an area that USDA has purposely slanted to benefit large corporate farms, allowing them to work outside of the organic regulations, and still use the USDA label, eroding the confidence of shoppers, that what they are buying is actually raised organically.
IMO this must be the first step to improve the profitability of all farm products.

2 Likes

Great article but I did not share as it did not address output from regenerative farming. I know I have read several articles that state the fact that this kind of farming to feed the world and save the planet. It needed to be stated here and always. My so called conservative friends would of jumped on that as they do not go deep enough or don’t have a clue.