Home | About | Donate

University of Illinois Slammed with Censure Over Salaita Firing

University of Illinois Slammed with Censure Over Salaita Firing

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

In a decision that may have long-lasting repercussions for the university's reputation, a leading university group on Saturday voted to censure the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) for firing Professor Steven Salaita after he made comments critical of Israel's attack on Gaza last summer.

Ah, but I'll bet AIPAC is quietly making up for any losses by the University.
;-})

Strictly as an outside observer I feel profound concern about the confluence of a number of societal factors. One - as in noting donor satisfaction, are frequently corporate legacy funds involved in the economic structures derived from and sustained by colonization methodologies. We have had 500 years of suppression of real history, the inclusion of the voices and alterity of indigenous peoples.

The economic power structure blithely marginalizes and suppresses in its mind set of 'externalized costs'. In the academic/educational world this sub culture of boundary setting excludes the legacy experiences and wisdom of the world's peoples who do reflect this exclusionary dynamic. In other words, it is not the colonized who create the problems but the perspectivism of the dominant power hierarchy - everyone else must pay. This describes a deeply embedded parasitic colonizing dynamic that is demonstrably impoverishing equilibrium and health of the entire planet by entities that despite the evidence to the contrary still consider their methods as legitimate.
Having become legends in their own minds, thanks to the Bernaysian world of market research and advertising, 'externalized costs' accounting etc., the leech genome has become part of their social DNA. There is a collapsed vein of conflict of interest with gangrene setting in.

Mr. Salaita's situation is really more dire than this well intentioned article lets on. He accepted the Univ. Of Illinois' offer, left a wonderful job, sold his home and moved to Illinois, et al. And, then was dry gulched by a bunch of paranoid bullies who are throwing their money around. Instead of supporting intellectual and open discussion of an issue of great import to all American taxpayers; our blind support of the current policy stance of the Likud Party and its' even more radical religious elements, the appeasing elites on the board let zealots drop the golden calf on poor Mr. Salaita's head. This type of cheesy character assassination should be stopped. I hope his attempt to regain his academic standing and good name is also rewarded with successful litigation and a big check for lost wages, etc. Tell those snobs in Chicago that just because to bought the rights to " The City of Big Shoulders " I don't think Carl Sandberg or Upton Sinclair would be very impressed with your attempt at meddling and censorship.

should be they instead of to, sorry.

I agree with the sentiment but UIUC is the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. So maybe Chicago is off the hook for this one?

Christopher Kennedy, chairman of the Board of Trustees, told the Chicago Tribune:

“We have to be sensitive to the community that we were founded to serve. … At the University of Illinois, we take enormous tax subsidies from people in our state. We can’t be so cavalier to think that any behavior is acceptable.”

Thanks Chris, nice work ruining the reputation of a once great University of Illinois.

Having lived there and spent time there, Chicago " maybe off the hook " regarding some things, but on this issue you can bet the Hiram Milquetoasts of UIUC got there marching orders closer to The Miracle Mile than their college campus.

"duel" is an interesting malapropism, n'est pas?

Well, here's something you can count on: some of us working to destroy AIPAC and promote BDS are not working strictly or exclusively within the United States, we are working on a massive international effort to not just censure the University of Illinois, but to censure the United States government. destroy AIPAC, destroyed Zionism, educate the brainwashed masses that Zionism is DEMONSTRABLY anti-Semitic, that Netanyahu and his cabinet are prosecutable war criminals, and make sure that BDS, or whatever it needs to evolve into, succeeds. Justice will be achieved for the people of Palestine, and if the University of Illinois has to be seriously damaged to achieve this, so be it. The greater good will have been served. What the Israeli and American governments, the current Prime Prostitute of Canada, Stephen Harper and the fascist gangster cabal called the "government" of Canada, AIPAC, cowardly outfits like University of Illinois, and the apparently countless supporters of the evils of Zionism, Israeli state policy, the crimes of the IDF and the psychotic Netanyahu fail to grasp is that there's an extremely large number of us out here, internationally networked and permanently eternally, righteously and unstoppably motivated, who are ABSOLUTELY DONE with taking this genocidal shit any more. The reckoning is coming on this, and this dustup with the University of Illinois is merely in the beginning phase. The shit storm is coming, and it isn't the kind of shit storm that the Israeli government thinks it is. Their so-called 'god' is going to be EXTREMELY displeased with them. Count on it.

My understanding was that he was not fired as much as not hired.

Perhaps anyone with duel citizenship should be promptly challenged. Might solve the problem. wink
;-})

And the sickly sweet smell of rotting flesh wafts across the landscape.
;-})

What is really necessary is to expand BDS from Israel to the US and its cronies. Israel is already beginning to whimper about it, and AIPAC is trying to get the Congress to outlaw it, and any criticism of Israeli politics as well.
* BDS-US and all of the toxic "allies" that aid and abet it.
* When the 0.001% see their profits dropping, I'll bet they'll come to heel. Just keep it up until this whole gang decides to join, or rejoin the community of nations.
;-})

Israeli citizenship has to be requested, it isn't automatically conferred.

That being said, dual citizenship means dual loyalties and people loyal to other nations shouldn't be in Congress.

Your post is full of excellent points but when you say you want to destroy the idea of a Jewish homeland you're just playing into the hands of those who try to discredit BDS by saying its supporters want to destroy Israel. BDS is trying to stop the oppression of Palestinians, not destroy Israel.

It's worse than that.

"A new website is publicizing the identities of pro-Palestinian student activists to prevent them from getting jobs after they graduate from college. But the website is keeping its own backers’ identity a secret.
“It is your duty to ensure that today’s radicals are not tomorrow’s employees,” a female narrator intones in a slick video posted to the website’s YouTube account.

Called Canary Mission, the site has posted profiles of dozens of students and recent graduates, alongside those of well-known activists like Omar Barghouti, founder of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. Some of the students are active in Students for Justice in Palestine; others were involved in recent pro-BDS resolutions at campuses in California. Many of them have relatively thin activist résumés.

“The focus on young people and students is an effort to try to tell people that there will be a price for you taking a political position,” said Ali Abunimah, founder of the pro-Palestinian website The Electronic Intifada. “It’s an effort to punish and deter people from standing up for what they believe.”

http://forward.com/news/308902/shadowy-web-site-creates-black-list-of-pro-palestinian-activists/

Ctrl_z, respectfully, please don't be misconstruing what I said due to your inability to properly interpret the meaning of 'destroy Zionism'. I didn't say I wanted to destroy the idea of a Jewish homeland. You might not be aware of it, but there are many, many Jews in Israel who are anti-Zionist, who believe that Zionism's day is long done, that it is an antiquated, imperialist-and prejudice-driven, 19th-century, poorly thought-out concept advanced by a fanatical ideologue that as long failed to suit or address regional geopolitical realities, and cannot be made to exist alongside true peace, justice, and security, for the very simple reason that maintenance of Zionism requires the genocide, or the fencing off and imprisoning of an entire people. At this juncture it would be useful for everybody to remember that Jews are not a race, they're a religion, no matter how much eugenic-type pseudoscience is blathered about by imbeciles to attempt to make the claim that Judaism is a race. Not a race, s religion - no more than 'Muslims' are a race or 'Christians' are a race. Anybody out there got that?
I'm perfectly aware what the function of BDS is - though there are some of its supporters who would like to see Israel destroyed - at no point in my post did I make any statement suggesting that the destruction of Israel is what is desired. It is the destruction of Zionism that is desired because Zionism is racism. Zionism is anti-Semitism, no matter how many bullshit psychopathic articles by Zionist racists and fascists appear in the New York Times, the Washington Post or the L. A. Times claiming that 'Anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism.' Zionism leads to the destruction of Israel, because it is antithetical to the goal of Jews in general seeking to live in peace in the Middle East on any piece of real estate. Zionism is not about a Jewish homeland; it is about destroying the homeland of Palestinians, stealing their land and creating an apartheid state. Zionism has been exclusively about the construction of an illegitimate state built on the corpses of Palestinians who were ethnically cleansed from the land that Israel illegally occupies and continues to illegally steal in the West Bank. Is there some part of the arguments put forth to support this by Miko Peled, Norman Finkelstein, Ilan Pappé, Norm Chomsky et. al., that is difficult to understand?

Merriam-Webster sez:

"Full Definition of ZIONISM

: an international movement originally for the establishment of a Jewish national or religious community in Palestine and later for the support of modern Israel"

So what does it mean when you say you want to destroy Zionism? Does it mean you want to destroy the result of Zionism, Israel? Does it mean you want to destroy support for the existence of Israel? Does it mean you want to destroy support for Israel's policies?

I can tell you how Israel's supporters interpret it. They see statements like that as a call to destroy Israel. They then go on to say that shows BDS is...wait for it...anti-Semitic.

Why give them the ammo? Simply say what you actually mean when you say you want to destroy Zionism.

Ok, that is kind of scary. Who will pay if the university is seriously damaged? the students.